Music Pieces for a Guitarist? (1 Viewer)

therockmanfan

HSC
Hello! I'm in year 11 and doing my HSC next year. I'm going to do four performance pieces for guitar but I'm having trouble finding pieces that that have technical skills skills in them. I'm very much into rock and blues music. So guitarists like Jimi Hendrix, John Mayer, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Keith Richards, etc. I'm also into acoustic guitar songs. I'm looking for pieces that can show off different technical skills along with dynamics. I've been playing guitar for almost 3-4 years and have less than a year to practise. I'm looking into getting a guitar teacher to help me along this learning process.

Cheers! :guitar:

lastofus

HSC
For acoustic, you could look at the great Andy McKee, Tommy Emmanuel and Sungha Jung. I find most of their arrangements/compositions relatively easy to learn; though there are definitely some challenging pieces. Drifting is an impressive song to learn and took me less than a month to perfect, though it's probably overplayed for HSC now lol. So instead, I would recommend Hunter's Moon by Andy McKee.

For electric, John Petrucci, Andy James, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are absolutely great. The technical skills these guys have are literally on another level. The last song I learnt on electric before the HSC hit was 'What Lies Beneath' by Andy James. These guys might not be your style, but give some of them a listen; they're phenomenal players.

Also, if you need any help with anything, feel free to ask me. Otherwise, good luck for next year!

turntaker

HSC
For acoustic, you could look at the great Andy McKee, Tommy Emmanuel and Sungha Jung. I find most of their arrangements/compositions relatively easy to learn; though there are definitely some challenging pieces. Drifting is an impressive song to learn and took me less than a month to perfect, though it's probably overplayed for HSC now lol. So instead, I would recommend Hunter's Moon by Andy McKee.

For electric, John Petrucci, Andy James, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani are absolutely great. The technical skills these guys have are literally on another level. The last song I learnt on electric before the HSC hit was 'What Lies Beneath' by Andy James. These guys might not be your style, but give some of them a listen; they're phenomenal players.

Also, if you need any help with anything, feel free to ask me. Otherwise, good luck for next year!
can vouch for sungha jung, been playing his songs for a few years now and some of his stuff is very technical.
John Butler's Ocean is also very technical and they would like that.

lastofus

HSC
I definitely agree with Ocean. That would be a great choice of a piece. Also, Asturias by John Williams on classical guitar is insanely difficult to perfect. So if you could handle it, I will guarantee that you'll get top marks. Cliffs of Dover on electric is also another good one. Personally, I found it difficult to learn, but with 3-4 years of good experience on electric guitar, I would definitely recommend it.

therockmanfan

HSC
A guy for this Year's HSC did a few of Tommy Emmanuel's pieces and covers. I really love his styles and open tunings. John butler is amazing! I wish to one day have a 12 string. I'll have to check out sungha jung along with Cliffs of Dover.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)