My handwriting sucks and im worried its gonna cost me in the hsc (1 Viewer)

hfauhueufvuii

HSC
My handwriting has always been pretty shitty and teachers have said consistently over the years that they struggle to read it. I generally achieve pretty good results but im scared that perhaps in the actual hsc exam, the markers are rlly gonna get annoyed with my handwriting and i wont get the marks im hoping for. On one of my trials my teacher specifically made a note saying that she doesn't think that hsc markers will be willing to put in the effort to read it. I was wondering if it rlly has as much of an impact as i think it might and also, any ways to improve it. I've attached pictures from my chem trial, workbooks and an english essay (my worst offence) tell me what u think

Attachments

Bob Jane

HSC
My handwriting was just as bad (probably worse) and the fix was pretty simple I just stop writing cursive and slow'd down my pace. Sure I write slower but hey at least its legible!

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It is such a tragedy that some 4 out of 5 nowadays have pretty poor handwriting and perhaps 1 in 5 has really shitty handwriting. It is such a tragedy. Over the years I have tried to help a number of people improve but from he lack of grateful response, I take it that it has not been very successful. Teachers younger than 35 are perhaps not much help, as they themselves don't know much about handwriting. Can the blind lead the blind?

My observation now is that once you write incorrectly, it is generally too late to correct it. So the time to get it right is perhaps from 5 to 7 years old. Most parents are unaware that this will be a problem.

I've also read a few blaming cursive handwriting as a problem. That is because they do not know how to go about running handwriting. Cursive handwriting is the way to write faster, provided you know how.

Fifty and more years ago, virtually nobody had a handwriting problem. Our teachers did not have a university degree. It is so easy and yet nowadays it has become so hard. It is a needless tragedy. I recall, however, the top student in my HSC class had a terrible handwriting; he went on to become a professor of Physics.

deanjacobson_

HSC
N/A
My handwriting was really terrible - illegible, to be honest. However, you can correct it easily. You just need to start over again and practise writing slowly and neatly. It's painful at the start, but after a while you sort of get the gist of it and can write fairly quickly.

Neat handwriting for the HSC is a must - you never know who's going to mark your paper and what mood they're in. If they want to, they have every right to deduct marks for illegibility.

Black Elmo

HSC
To my knowledge the marker receive a specific time limit to make your paper to ensure equality within everyone's test paper, your handwriting may hinder the markers ability to mark your paper in time, but idk, fix your vowels ig

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Very interesting dean that you have been able to correct yourself. Do you write in cursive as well?

Can you show a specimen of your handwriting?

deanjacobson_

HSC
N/A
Very interesting dean that you have been able to correct yourself. Do you write in cursive as well?

Can you show a specimen of your handwriting?
I used to write in a really sloppy form of cursive that made my writing completely illegible, however, a few weeks ago I decided to correct my writing. I now write in slanted print or normal print.

The below images show my writing before I decided to correct it and after. I'm still working on making it completely neat, but, of course, it takes practise.

Attachments

SpiderX1X

HSC
It is such a tragedy that some 4 out of 5 nowadays have pretty poor handwriting and perhaps 1 in 5 has really shitty handwriting. It is such a tragedy. Over the years I have tried to help a number of people improve but from he lack of grateful response, I take it that it has not been very successful. Teachers younger than 35 are perhaps not much help, as they themselves don't know much about handwriting. Can the blind lead the blind?

My observation now is that once you write incorrectly, it is generally too late to correct it. So the time to get it right is perhaps from 5 to 7 years old. Most parents are unaware that this will be a problem.

I've also read a few blaming cursive handwriting as a problem. That is because they do not know how to go about running handwriting. Cursive handwriting is the way to write faster, provided you know how.

Fifty and more years ago, virtually nobody had a handwriting problem. Our teachers did not have a university degree. It is so easy and yet nowadays it has become so hard. It is a needless tragedy. I recall, however, the top student in my HSC class had a terrible handwriting; he went on to become a professor of Physics.
Can relate to this a lot, my father has cursive handwriting but it's so clear and at the ages of 6-7 he forced me to write random things in cursive in front of him of 2 hrs a day. I thought it was stupid and nobody does this but I look back and realised it was helpful. I thought it was a coincidence when I saw people born in the 70s to have good handwriting, but I guess it's just that people now have crappy handwriting.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
hfau's handwriting is certainly illegible. The letters are not well-formed and the writing is very untidy. Ifyou are not sitting the HSC this year, you may still be able to correct your shitty handwriting, provided you have the determination and the right attitude.

As for dean, your current handwriting is a lot more legible, but is not running, possibly because you don't know the right way to write running writing. Your earlier writing was running and reasonably legible; but by the standards of my day, maybe just scraping a Pass grade.

dani01

HSC
yeah markers are reading hundreds of papers and are literally exhausted from marking so your teacher is right about the fact they might not put any effort. You can change it though there is always time. Just slow down- really make sure your letters are clear. if it helps just make your writing a bit bigger so you are better able to write more clearly.

vinlatte

HSC
I also have the issue of crappy handwriting since my writing cannot keep up with my thinking that I miss letters or connect letters together like r and i that looks like an n.

I noticed the type of pen does help with writing. I'm using a gel pen for note-taking, and having a different feel of writing helps you to be more conscious on how you write.

Also, try to read your notes out loud when studying. If you noticed that you cannot read your writing, chances are that others won't either. By reading your own notes, you may be encouraged to write more neatly for your own sake of being able to read your notes. Also, ask to share your work with your classmates and friends so they can read it and give feedback.

It's mainly practice on improving your writing habits by just writing more often. I would suggest that with your handwriting to widen your letters and keep a consistent height your words since they tend to rise and fall. Good luck! You got this!

MONONYMOUS

HSC
My handwriting has always been pretty shitty and teachers have said consistently over the years that they struggle to read it. I generally achieve pretty good results but im scared that perhaps in the actual hsc exam, the markers are rlly gonna get annoyed with my handwriting and i wont get the marks im hoping for. On one of my trials my teacher specifically made a note saying that she doesn't think that hsc markers will be willing to put in the effort to read it. I was wondering if it rlly has as much of an impact as i think it might and also, any ways to improve it. I've attached pictures from my chem trial, workbooks and an english essay (my worst offence) tell me what u think
Oh wow, that handwriting is quite bad lol. But don't stress bro, your HSC is in 2020. I had handwriting similar to yours, it was so fkn bad. I even got marked down in a Business test as 60% when my mark was supposed to be 90-95% when he looked at the typed copy I had (I managed to dispute my mark up to 75%. The point is, you have a lot of time to improve it. If your handwriting is poor because you lack speed and ability to write fast without messing up your handwriting, I suggest getting a pen weight. I also think you should handwrite a lot of your notes and just practice writing neatly and slowly when you're in class.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)