My school's English Department sucks. (1 Viewer)

thommy

HSC
N/A
We handed in our King Lear assessments three weeks ago, and haven't even receiecved hem back yet. We got an assessment for Module C before we even started the unit, we've barely done anything on the text yet, we have to get two related texts, and our assessment is in one week.

WAIT! there's more. It is an in class assessment. We only get 45 minutes to write the essay.

naisAtoN

Awesome Member
HSC
:/ That sounds really crap...
Were you given the essay question? Or at least were you given any pointers by your teacher so you can prepare?
Although I still don't know how much use that would be if you've hardly even begun studying the text yet.

HSC
3 weeks is pretty long to wait for results but not that bad really.

The assessment task itself isn't that bad, I have one of those myself coming up.

The only problem here is your notice; you're supposed to get minimum 2 weeks notice.

grapefruiit

HSC
thommy said:
WAIT! there's more. It is an in class assessment. We only get 45 minutes to write the essay.

All our English assessments are in-class assessments. We get 40 minutes. We start Module C in Week 10 of this term, and have an assessment at the beginnning of Week 2 next term. It's not only your school =]

HSC
Uni Grad
Most people at my school will tell you our English Department is the worst, well at least everyone in year 12 does.

We do tend to get more than one assessment at a time sometimes, so we might end up doing two at once or finishing one and going straight onto the next.

lionking1191

HSC
what's the problem? your assessments are for determination of ranks. everyone's in the same situation so no one gets disadvantaged. as long as your teachers get their acts together for the hsc you have nothing to wrry about

VladimirNikolai

HSC
Yeah, our English department is terrible too. We did an assessment on Emma and Clueless (after learning pretty much nothing on the two - our teacher just tends to ramble and nobody has any idea what she's actually taught us by the end of the lesson). Then, here I am thinking we might be done with English assessments this term (we already had one at the start), and with only 2 weeks to go with school, then they give us ANOTHER assessment on Frontline, which we'd at that point only watched one episode. Then it turns out we have an athletics carnival on the day they wanted to do it, so they make it tomorrow instead of Thursday - giving us less than 2 weeks to prepare for an inclass assessment in a module we haven't even studied in more detail than watching a few episodes here and there.

We finally got the Emma and Clueless mark back end of last week. And to top it all off, half of my friends who handed in practice essays for that and got told they were great got 10/11/12 out of 15, and the people with no preparation ended up by getting the 14 and 15s.

Damn our English department is crap.

/rant

gmez

HSC
N/A
Well most of my study was done two weeks before the exam and I passed. I watched DVD's of King Lear and listened if they had them to the director's notes and I basically learned the crits.

I was still deciding what ORTs to do one week before the exam and ended up with a film I knew. Take matters into you own hands and start to borrow ideas from other essays and reword them. Also the HSC online site is good. Keep going.

lidolmissgigles

HSC
VladimirNikolai said:
Yeah, our English department is terrible too. We did an assessment on Emma and Clueless (after learning pretty much nothing on the two - our teacher just tends to ramble and nobody has any idea what she's actually taught us by the end of the lesson). Then, here I am thinking we might be done with English assessments this term (we already had one at the start), and with only 2 weeks to go with school, then they give us ANOTHER assessment on Frontline, which we'd at that point only watched one episode. Then it turns out we have an athletics carnival on the day they wanted to do it, so they make it tomorrow instead of Thursday - giving us less than 2 weeks to prepare for an inclass assessment in a module we haven't even studied in more detail than watching a few episodes here and there.

We finally got the Emma and Clueless mark back end of last week. And to top it all off, half of my friends who handed in practice essays for that and got told they were great got 10/11/12 out of 15, and the people with no preparation ended up by getting the 14 and 15s.

Damn our English department is crap.

/rant

omg thats exactly like mine... and then we had to do our trials straight after and they hadnt even handed the assessments back in...

daijuan

HSC
thommy said:
We handed in our King Lear assessments three weeks ago, and haven't even receiecved hem back yet. We got an assessment for Module C before we even started the unit, we've barely done anything on the text yet, we have to get two related texts, and our assessment is in one week.

most schools cover their arses by handing out subject assessment booklets with dates all the assessments in all of the subjects offered. this lets announce assessments inside the 2 week period. lawl but lets face it 90% of people study for inclass assessments the night before

monesh

HSC
thommy said:

cry me a river.

Epistemophobia

Serenity Painted Death
HSC
thommy said:

ah ha ha ha ha ha, sucks to be you

smile-xox

HSC
haha 3 months is nothing

our bio teacher took more than 1 term to hand back an assessment....

sorry off topic, but yer

wysewise

HSC
Well it took us 7 weeks to get our trials back.

And we never even had an outline for the trials. Some kids were told the wrong amount of related texts to have and whatnot...

And in our Frontline assessment (which they 'sent us the wrong outline for') the only comment I got was

'Intelligent. But you analyse too much'

I mean.... come on!!!
:angry:

Legal Hustle

HSC
My school english department is also gay. not only are they slow at marking[not as slow as what u cats said], but they have a high turn over rate; new teachers coming every week lol. Lots of sick leave. Lots of photocopys from HSC guides. Lots of infighting. Teachers saying different shit.....

HSC
45 mins for an essay dosent sound too bad, but the first bit sounds unfair.

our english department is full of old, knowledgable teachers. too bad we suck as a year :(

N

Nicola1616

thommy said:

Sounds very stressful. Is there anything specific that would help you? Help finding related texts? C:burn: ool if you just wanted to let off a bit of steam too!

Yiqun

HSC
thommy said:

I agree, my school's english department sucks as well, they've lost our test papers like 3 times and they even stuffed up our english test once - no stimulus. Oh and one time they said we had 50mins to do 2 sections of a paper that was suppose to be 100mins. DOUBLE THE BLOODY TIME. They then handed back the paper nxt lesson and let us go over it or redo it, like WTF man

Plus there is no warning as well ==" it is like "today we have an english test"

pollipoda

HSC
We were given the assessment task for module C a week after we had been introduced to the module so you're not alone there + we had our trials about a week after and we hadn't even studied the 2 related texts... I reckon they only gave you 45 minutes to train you for the real exam...they say that you should allow 40 minutes for each essay...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)