Nanotechnology/Materials Science/Chemistry (1 Viewer)

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Hey there. Does anybody do nanotechnology?

I'd love to hear your thoughts about your degree or individual courses.

This applies to materials science, polymer science, and chemistry, too. I'd like to know the ups and downs, what's fun and what's not, and what you enjoy.

For reference, I'm thinking of studying organic chemistry at UoW, but I'm strongly contemplating the nanotechnology course, which seems to cover a fair bit of chemistry anyway. UNSW's course seems too physics oriented? UoW also has the intelligent polymer/nanotech ARC, so AFAIK gets more funding and researchers.

Have very strong maths, computing and English/essay skills. I love chemistry, but I have to try harder at it; I'm not as good at rote learning. I'm confident enough to try it at uni though. I can get through through physics subjects as long as it's just there to augment the chemistry, but UNSW's degree looks like there's basically a physics stream the whole way through (often as part of the materials science units).

Cheers.

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
thought about chem eng?

dood09

Frontier Psychiatrist ☻
HSC
N/A
nanotechnology at uts seems fair

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Don't worry about whether or not there's rote learning; I'll handle myself.

Tell me a bit more about chem engo though man. I haven't spoken to you in ages.

KFunk

Psychic refugee
HSC
I Know a bloke who is in Nanotech at UNSW and from what he has said it sounds like they have a fair bit of freedom. As per the UNSW hanbook the program requires 12cp of physics in first year, 15cp in second year and 3cp in third, but you don't actually have to do any beyond that (~15% of the credit point load... though who knows in terms of work/content). He indicated that you can take the program in the physics direction, but that you can also head the way of biomaterials (focussing on biochem, molecular biology, immunology, etc...). I'm sure you've seen the program already (there is a fairly wide range of options).

Zarathustra

Dasein
The ficticious world of subject, substance, "reaso
HSC
Neither chemical engineering nor industrial chemistry have much surface chemistry or nanotech in their core courses, but in 4th year you can take professional electives which would more closely relate to your interests, and you have a wide variety of thesis topics in 4th year as well.

Chemical engineering involves: thermodynamics/kinetics (reaction engineering), fluid mechanics, particle mechanics, material and energy balances, writing up P&IDs (piping and instrumentation diagrams), separation processes (including distillation, liquid-liquid extraction etc.), instrumental analysis (gas chromatography etc.), process control (automation of systems, controlling them etc.) a small amount of inorganic chem and organic chem, as well as maths (obviously) relating to these topics. Industrial chemistry is much the same, with more focus on organic/inorganic chemistry and instrumental analysis.

I'd say that chem eng is a decent background for your interests because many graduates go into nanotechnology, surface chemistry, polymers (more industrial chemistry) etc., I think engineering degrees tend to have better employment opportunities if you aren't planning on doing post grad studies; if you're sure that you'll do post grad then I guess go with the one that seems to suit your interests the most (materials science and nanotech).

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Well that shakes things up a bit since UoW doesn't have a chemical engineering degree. It does sound interesting.

Still, I was hoping by now the notion that nanotech is for researchers would have changed. If that's still true for nanotech, what about materials science engineering? Where do chemistry grads (BSc not BEng) go?

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
Slidey said:
Well that shakes things up a bit since UoW doesn't have a chemical engineering degree. It does sound interesting.

Still, I was hoping by now the notion that nanotech is for researchers would have changed. If that's still true for nanotech, what about materials science engineering? Where do chemistry grads (BSc not BEng) go?
Disclaimer: This is hearsay.

My stepmother currently works/has worked variously in physics and chemistry at UoW for 20 years or something retarded like that. This isn't actually directly related to your enquiry (although she used to teach chem), but she's worked all over the world (including Antartica) as one of the top scientists in atmospheric chemistry (cow pats, climate change, yay!).

Anyway, the point is, they do get decent funding and there are some really good research groups across the two faculties, which you can usually get into arond 3rd year/honours if they love you lots.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Josie said:
Disclaimer: This is hearsay.

My stepmother currently works/has worked variously in physics and chemistry at UoW for 20 years or something retarded like that. This isn't actually directly related to your enquiry (although she used to teach chem), but she's worked all over the world (including Antartica) as one of the top scientists in atmospheric chemistry (cow pats, climate change, yay!).

Anyway, the point is, they do get decent funding and there are some really good research groups across the two faculties, which you can usually get into arond 3rd year/honours if they love you lots.
Haha good to hear!

Well the nanotech degree at UoW has a research subject each year starting first year, so in that specific case, research seems a bit more intertwined with the undergraduate degree.

I'll have to have a think about it all. I want to finish my comp sci degree as well, but I can't really do that in engo or nanotech, and if I do chem eng, it'll have to be at UQ or UNSW (which costs more $$$).

jb_nc

Google "9-11" and "truth"
HSC
N/A
come to usyd.

you can learn about dinflow 260 pumps

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Can any one give more inf regarding opportunities with a straight B Sc in Chemistry (also at UOW)??? Chemistry was my best subject at high school (i really enjoy it) however im currently in comm/law which i like (especially the commerce component). I wasn't sure, if i were to transfer to comm/sci (chemistry) what tyes of jobs that could lead to. Would it be useful to getting into companies like BlueScope Steel or a Pharmaceutical Company and then moving up through management- planning on a economics/finance double major (could only do one of them if i stick out law, but with a science degre there is enough flexibility to double on commerce).

Having said all that, i do enjoy what i currently study (after a long settling in period) however it has played on my mind for quite a while now...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)