Need a concise vocabulary bank for essay writing! (1 Viewer)

Deliriously

HSC
When writing essays, I feel that my vocabulary is really limited so I always have to waste time going through the thesaurus and picking out a word that fits the context of what I'm trying to express.

I've looked at a few threads on this site but none of them to have what I'm looking for. The vocabulary list was either too large jumbled with unnecessary words or they include what I already knew. I'm looking for words that will improve my flair in writing but can also be incorporated into an essay.

Many you have some words that you like to use because it sounds good?

theind1996

HSC
N/A
When writing essays, I feel that my vocabulary is really limited so I always have to waste time going through the thesaurus and picking out a word that fits the context of what I'm trying to express.

I've looked at a few threads on this site but none of them to have what I'm looking for. The vocabulary list was either too large jumbled with unnecessary words or they include what I already knew. I'm looking for words that will improve my flair in writing but can also be incorporated into an essay.

Many you have some words that you like to use because it sounds good?
Well these things generally come from large practice or years of reading.

Good verbs for analysis:

- Reveal
- Assert
- Elucidate
- Exemplify
- Construct
- Transcend
- Permeate
- Pervade
- Discern
- Repudiate
- Construe
- Demonstrate
- Convey
- Accentuate
- Emphasise
- Portray
- Convey

Good verbs for transitioning between sentences/points:
- Accordingly
- Besides
- Furthermore
- Moreover
- Similarly
- Likewise
- Consequently
- Subsequently
- However
- Nevertheless
- Nonetheless
- However

That's all I've got for now.

Deliriously

HSC
Thanks!! Helped me fill in some gaps.
Yeah, I regret not reading frequently over the years but I'm going to start getting serious now. Its the best I could do :)

If you guys have the definitions too, it would be a plus ++ but I'm happy if you only post up the words, I can search them up myself.

enoilgam

HSC
Just a point with vocab - you should use a wide vocab to increase the variety in your essays (i.e. by not repeating the same word a thousand times) and to add extra emphasis or power to a certain point. However, there is a fine line between having a strong vocab and over-complex dribble. A lot of essays have really over the top vocab, which can make them much harder to read and understand. So used in the right places and at the right time, strong and sophisticated vocab can add to your essays, but used incorrectly it can make your response verbose and difficult to understand.

As for a list, I think theind pretty much has most of the good stuff covered. There are probably a few more fancy ones like "congruently" or "exacerbate" but thats about all I can think of at the moment (I'll add a couple more if I think of them).

If you guys have the definitions too, it would be a plus ++ but I'm happy if you only post up the words, I can search them up myself.
Just be a bit careful with definitions, because sometimes words may be similar, but not really synonyms per se.

Last edited:

Deliriously

HSC
Thanks for the tip! I am definitely aware that using an overload of description and vocab can make an essay verbose and difficult to understand and will use them at my own peril.

darlking

HSC
N/A
Well these things generally come from large practice or years of reading.

Good verbs for analysis:

- Reveal
- Assert
- Elucidate
- Exemplify
- Construct
- Transcend
- Permeate
- Pervade
- Discern
- Repudiate
- Construe
- Demonstrate
- Convey
- Accentuate
- Emphasise
- Portray
- Convey

Good verbs for transitioning between sentences/points:
- Accordingly
- Besides
- Furthermore
- Moreover
- Similarly
- Likewise
- Consequently
- Subsequently
- However
- Nevertheless
- Nonetheless
- However

That's all I've got for now.
Aweskim, Thanks for these! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)