Need advice for Multiple Choice!! (1 Viewer)

sharoooooo

HSC
hello everyone, i need some help with multiple choice.

when i got my trials back, i lost 2 marks in the biology and 2 marks in chemistry due to the fact that i changed my answer. ( i lost more than 2 marks overall but i'm just saying i lost a total of 4 because of this reason).
my initial answer was correct but i crossed it out and selected the incorrect answer unfortunately.
how can i avoid this problem to maximise my marks in the HSC?

Flop21

HSC
I've read somewhere, probably excell tips, to always go with your gut in MC. Go back later, and only if you are ABSOLUTELY sure, change it. Otherwise, just go with your gut and leave it.

Ekman

HSC
I've read somewhere, probably excell tips, to always go with your gut in MC. Go back later, and only if you are ABSOLUTELY sure, change it. Otherwise, just go with your gut and leave it.
This is actually true. My gut told me to change my answer from B to C in my eco trials for a question I wasn't too sure about, but I eventually left it as B. Turns out the answer was C, so go with your gut.

Flop21

HSC
This is actually true. My gut told me to change my answer from B to C in my eco trials for a question I wasn't too sure about, but I eventually left it as B. Turns out the answer was C, so go with your gut.
Well the excel book was kind of implying, go with your initial gut instinct (first written down answer), and leave it, unless you are 99% sure its another answer.

I will also say to stay calm, don't rush MC, it's usually worth just as much as any other section. Read each question carefully and think of the answer, if you studied well, you should be able to get the answer fine. Of course there are questions where you are unsure and have 2 possible answers, go with your initial gut answer here.

pomsky

HSC
Well the excel book was kind of implying, go with your initial gut instinct (first written down answer), and leave it, unless you are 99% sure its another answer.
Also heard this advice from teacher.

Go with your initial instinct unless you're 100% or almost 100% sure it's wrong. Then change it. I believe this advice was meant to target people who tend to overthink (which is a huge problem in my cohort) because it is possible to justify/ convince yourself that a wrong answer is right given enough effort (lol). Thus OP, if you know you're an over thinker... go with your initial gut response. But if you know you're somebody who tends to misread questions and fall into question traps, you probably need to go with your changed response. But then again, only do it if you're more or less certain your first response was wrong. (Note this is all general advice.)

tdlr; only change an answer unless you're near 100% or 100% sure it's wrong.

sharoooooo

HSC
Also heard this advice from teacher.

Go with your initial instinct unless you're 100% or almost 100% sure it's wrong. Then change it. I believe this advice was meant to target people who tend to overthink (which is a huge problem in my cohort) because it is possible to justify/ convince yourself that a wrong answer is right given enough effort (lol). Thus OP, if you know you're an over thinker... go with your initial gut response. But if you know you're somebody who tends to misread questions and fall into question traps, you probably need to go with your changed response. But then again, only do it if you're more or less certain your first response was wrong. (Note this is all general advice.)

tdlr; only change an answer unless you're near 100% or 100% sure it's wrong.
yea i probably overthink. like after I finish the exam, i go back to MC and redo MC again. and then I start to doubt my answers and then convince myself into changing the answer. but at the time, it feels like the right thing to change my initial answer, but in the end i've made the wrong decision.... :newburn:

braintic

HSC
N/A
The distractors in a multiple choice question are typically designed to attract people who go with their gut.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)