Need Examples!

JUB JUB

HSC
hey guyz for this point:

use available evidence to explain the relationship between the conservation of water and the production and excretion of concentrated nitrogenous wastes in a range of Australian insects and terrestrial mammals

does anyone have any examples of australian insects their production and excretion of nitrogenous wastes?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm..... damn i was using peppermoth...... but den, i fink u can use any sort of moth, where they deposit uric acid on their wings etc

tempco

HSC
So are you saying that all moths deposit uric acid on their wings? Where did you get your info from (Text book name if you were using a text book)?

Thanks.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
dunno..... i use spectrum and excel, prolly on excel..... not sure....... =P

JUB JUB

HSC
ahhh

i've looked on excel and it's NOT there! some one must have done this dot point...where is everyone...??? should i post this in the plain biology forum?

also why do moths need to maintain/ regulate water/salt...etc.?

argh bloody biology.

there is NOTHING on the internet!

s2ophie

HSC
An example is a spinifex hopping mouse

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
An example is a spinifex hopping mouse
That's an example of a terrestrial mammal.. trying to find an example of an insect. I'll try and ask my Biology teacher if she knows anything about it.. might be able to help you people out as well.

trinity

This is what my sheet says (i think heinemann?)
Insects convert nitrogenous wastes to uric acid. Nitrogenous wastes from cells are passed into the body fluid (haemolymph). THe malpighian tubules remove the wastes and pass them into the digestive system. Water is absorbed in the hind-gut and uric acid is formed. This is a paste like substance that is eliminated together with the faeces. Very little water is lost by the insect by this method of excretion. Therefore can inhabit a wide range of dry habitats.
Hope that helps! :D

tempco

HSC
So I assume that occurs in almost all insects? so you can just pick one out of no where, like an ant, and just explain the relationship, if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks.. that helps a lot!

s2ophie

HSC
Originally posted by NekkidSerpent
That's an example of a terrestrial mammal.. trying to find an example of an insect. I'll try and ask my Biology teacher if she knows anything about it.. might be able to help you people out as well.
sorry i'm lazt and don't read the full posts!

tempco

HSC
Originally posted by s2ophie
sorry i'm lazt and don't read the full posts!
hehe.. I'm like that most of them time, except when I really need help! :D

tempco

HSC
I found some info on the insects part of the syllabus:

Many insects have solved the problem of conserving water and excreting excess nitrogen through the conversion of nitrogenous products into an almost insoluble substance called uric acid. If acid is excreted almost no water is lost. Uric acid is excreted through special tubules or uric acid crystals are deposited in various parts of the body. The whit scales on the wings of some butterflies are uric acid deposits.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)