Need help choosing: radiography vs occupational therapy vs speech pathology? (1 Viewer)

Sweetbee96

HSC
So guys I am super stuck. I just finished my first year of bachelor of Medical Science at UTS and wanting to transfer to another degree but I am not sure which to do. A lot of people have said to stay clear of radiography since finding a job is really difficult. Would you say the same thing for speech pathology or would it be easier? I know that occupational therapy isnt as difficult in finding a job however the amount of essays and reports scare me since I am terrible at writing essays and researching etc.
Also for rural placement how exactly do you get there? Do most people go by public transport (i.e. country link train or bus) or do most drive?
I have done cell biology and genetics and Human anatomy and physiology, would i be able to gain a credit transfer for any of these degrees?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks in advance!
Benita

madharris

HSC
N/A
I reckon it would be easier to get a job in speech path than radiography, there are a lot more places and settings that you are able to practice in as an sp. Furthermore the National disability insurance scheme is slowly being rolled out across Australia (fully rolled out in NESW by Julyish 2016) meaning that they will be an increased number of jobs in the community for all/most allied health professions.

Radiography is pretty science from what I've heard. A decent amount of physics and Chem and stuff like that.
With SP I know there are a few reports and essays but not as much as OT. I think it may have a few more science suvjects than OT.However you have to learn like linguistics and phonetics and stuff like that which I've heard can be difficult.
And not including the first sem (at usyd), OT is the best :) although I tend to be a bit biased. (Pm me or something if you want to know more)

You would probably be able to gain credit for a subject or two in all the mentioned degrees.

With placement you can drive, catch public transport or private transport (like coaches or something). When they're sorting out placements they look at people who can't drive/dont have a car and try their best to place them in somewhere as accessible as possible. You may even find that there are 1 or 2 other people going to your same placement, to your city/town or past your city/town that you may be able to ride with and/or share accommodation with.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bec3

HSC
Speechies are in demand, but that's not the most beneficial reason for entering the course. It's by no means easy (none of them are!) and it takes a lot of time and effort. In saying that, if you are interested in it go for it, however entering it solely due to job prospects isn't the best starting point.

I've loved studying speech this year so if you were curious about it feel free to ask! Speech does have a fair whack of writing- but not in first year, we barely had any essays.

Also re: credit, I'm unsure but human cell bio is a first year speech subject elective, so you could possibly get something from that (but I would ask first of course!)

Best wishes!

saraahellee

HSC
Hey!
I was just curious about speech pathology. I just read someone's post on it and im actually frightened now haha. Is it really hard? Is it mainly practical or theory? Is it helpful to do a grammar bridging course because I read that it helps a lot. Anything you can provide me with will help really. Please and thanks !

ps. Im in year 12 now and am applying for uni this week ahah

INADIKAP95

HSC
N/A
On a side note : I'm laughing at all these people who chose MedSci/Sci to try to get into med. Most are now scattering around trying to decide what other degree they will do. Did they not think and plan what the degree would entail in the first place and their likelihood of getting into medicine?

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
On a side note : I'm laughing at all these people who chose MedSci/Sci to try to get into med. Most are now scattering around trying to decide what other degree they will do. Did they not think and plan what the degree would entail in the first place and their likelihood of getting into medicine?
surprisingly they don't even enjoy the degree
how will they enjoy med

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)