Need help for Standard English (1 Viewer)

Zraie

HSC
Hi guys, I'm about to enter year 12, and I need general advice for improving in Standard English

My other subjects:
4u Math
Physics
Chemistry
Software design and development
IPT (Will probably drop this or SDD because 14 units is too much)

I realised that my worst performing subject in year 12 will probably be English, and I need to improve it. But, I do not know how to effectively study for english standard, because it is not as straightforward as math or chem. Apart from writing essays for prescribed texts, how else can I improve my performance in standard English for year 12?
Also, what is the approximate mark that I will need to get in English, assuming I get band 6 in my other subjects, if I want 99+ atar.

Thanks!

mannxv

HSC
Hi guys, I'm about to enter year 12, and I need general advice for improving in Standard English

My other subjects:
4u Math
Physics
Chemistry
Software design and development
IPT (Will probably drop this or SDD because 14 units is too much)

I realised that my worst performing subject in year 12 will probably be English, and I need to improve it. But, I do not know how to effectively study for english standard, because it is not as straightforward as math or chem. Apart from writing essays for prescribed texts, how else can I improve my performance in standard English for year 12?
Also, what is the approximate mark that I will need to get in English, assuming I get band 6 in my other subjects, if I want 99+ atar.

Thanks!
hey. i think to formulate great essays, you need to have a really good understanding of the conceptuality and thematic concerns of the text. this is why regurgitating a prememorised essay won't work for the hsc, you really need to connect w the question and show the marker ideas which transcend your evidence. anyways, advice for you is to most definitely read your prescribed texts beforehand ! do some reading these holidays, read articles on litcharts (one of my faves). i also think you could read the essays of other band 6 students. really understand the crux of your text will remove that activation energy needed to write essays, which can be a mundane task.

my goal is a band 6 this year for standard, it depends on your ranking/cohort. band 6's in standard english are rare, but if you put in the hard yards and really try (e.g. reading/analysing additional material at home as mentioned) you can do it.

visit this link to see how many people got a band 6 at your school last year for this course: https://www.hscninja.com/atar-calculator

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)