Need help in analysing "Shattered Glass" RM for "Frontline" (1 Viewer)

sorethroat

HSC
In desperation for more related material, I decided to watch "Shattered Glass". I've picked up quotes and that but I'm having problems with some of the techniques. Esp. visual/film techniques. I can't pick up any.

Is the medium film? If so, how does film represent the 'truth'?

ANY help will be much appreciated, thanks!

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
Remember this module deals with the ways in which truth is represented through differing mediums i.e how does the media manipulate, fabricate or distort the truth to suit their needs (such as ratings)

Now i have not watched shattered glass, but in movies you to have remeber the techniques of movie which are: camera angles (high shot, low shot, medium shot and its associations such as high shots represent authority), lightening, sound, iconography and symbolism

Also, try and have more than one related material like a movie (e.g truman Show and song chasers website)

sorethroat

HSC
i already have a movie as my rm - shattered glass is a movie... shouldn't i be choosing a diff type...
any more help on techniques?

NEVAGIVEUP

HSC
Yes you should have another medium such as poem, song, book, etc.

Keep in mind that differing mediums have different techniques

As for movies as i stated previously camera angles, iconography, lightening, sound is what you need to focus on. Remember you only have 40 minutes per essay keep your examples short and to the point. For movies aim to analyse maximum 2 scenes that portray 'representation of truth'; if you focus on the whole movie you will get lost and confused. Whilst analysing, keep in mind the objectives of this module and how it is depicted in this film; to make it easier keep in mind newspaper articles and a current affairs shows and how Frontline satirises them. For this module be up-to-date with current news and events happening and see how different mediums tell the story such as the Schepelle Corby saga and the many ways it was portrayed in the media

the moral of this module is that the media does not provide the truth; just a version of it; keep in mind themes such as 'truth as a commodity', 'ratings war' and so on and examine if these are dealt with in the movie.

Hope that helps

N

Nicola1616

You shouldn't use two films - you want to show how the concept of truth is explored in a variety of ways. Try a newspaper article.

'Film' in and of itself does not represent truth. It's the same as any other text - the composer is conveying something, constucting some meaning around the theme. It doesn't matter so much what the character says or does in isolation - what matters is the whole context. So, I don't know 'Shattered Glass' but if the character is caught out, what is the composer trying to communicate:
-he's naughty (not likely)
-there are some goodies (less likely)
-the pressure for a 'story' has superceeded the quest for truth
-society has unwittingly created a situation where the 'truth' is never sexy enough to sell
-the demand we have created for senstationalism has created a situation where we are unlikely to know the truth, or bare, unadorned facts anyway.

I don't know (cause I don't know the film) but whatever you decide you need to look at the overall message, ideas etc and then pick a scene, sequence and use it to back up what you have said. Filmic techniques are so broad - lighting, dialogue (although this is often secondary to the visual stuff), music, camera angle but its the why? what effect does it create? Do we look down upon a character so he seems intimidated, vulnerable - do we pan around a room to see chaos, do we suddenly cut to a close up that conveys a response to something???

good luck

Enteebee

Keepers of the flames
HSC
sorethroat said:
In desperation for more related material, I decided to watch "Shattered Glass". I've picked up quotes and that but I'm having problems with some of the techniques. Esp. visual/film techniques. I can't pick up any.

Is the medium film? If so, how does film represent the 'truth'?

ANY help will be much appreciated, thanks!
One interesting technique I remember from watching shattered glass is how at the beginning it shows a young republican convention with hookers etc tricking the audience into believing that is true but then later on as his deceptive techniques unravel it's shown that it was wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)