need help please (1 Viewer)

MATTGRAYNSW

HSC
i feel stupid cuz it seems so easy but i need a definition of accuracy in an experimental context

were investigating corrosion protection coatings and we need to assess accuracy

gh0stface

HSC
a) ACCURACY: Exactness or conformity to truth.<o:p> </o:p>

Science texts refer to accuracy in two ways:<o:p> </o:p>
(i) Accuracy of a result or experimental procedure can refer to the percentage difference between the experimental result and the accepted value. The stated uncertainty in an experimental result should always be greater than this percentage accuracy.<o:p> </o:p>
(ii) Accuracy is also associated with the inherent uncertainty in a measurement. We can express the accuracy of a measurement explicitly by stating the estimated uncertainty or implicitly by the number of significant figures given. For example, we can measure a small distance with poor accuracy using a metre rule, or with much greater accuracy using a micrometer. Accurate measurements do not ensure an experiment is valid or reliable. For example consider an experiment for finding g in which the time for a piece of paper to fall once to the floor is measured very accurately. Clearly this experiment would not be valid or reliable (unless it was carried out in vacuum).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)