Need help with integrating historical context into my critical essay (1 Viewer)

Dane Red

HSC
Having trouble integrating historical context into my essay, the questions I "To what extent is the play driven by competing versions of leadership".

Text- King Henry IV Part 1

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
i usually put context as the second sentence of my paragraph. you connect it to your idea, focusing on how your context drives the idea being discussed in the topic sentence. you could start off saying 'the [historical context] of the shakespearean era are reflected in the [adjective] power dynamics of the play, which [effect of its portrayal in the play].'

since it's shakespeare, 'competing visions of leadership' brings up ideas of what leadership was like back in shakespeare's times. you have stuff like the great chain of being, the monarchy, etc. what is shakespeare trying to say about those, and why? this helps in relating back to the author's intentions. (ps. if you are going this route, i suggest not saying he critiques the monarchy or the natural order so explicitly. there's like a 99% chance he didn't, and indirectly quoting my teacher, there's no way he would have done that in a play that he knew the monarchy would watch (or else he'd get his head lopped off).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)