need help with nething italian? start looking here. (1 Viewer)

Gemstar

HSC
Yay! i found how to start a thread. cool. Hi! i'm a newbie to the italian minority here.

TO ALL italian peeps out there ( all past hsc italians peeps or ppl doing 2007 continuers italian course like me & also beginners who can help) I'm dedicated to correcting all mine and everyone elses grammatical errors..all it takes is everyone to just continue one thread, posting their queries about verbs/conjuagations/themes etc. ANY PROBLEMS..and i will assist if i know ( but if i don't >which is more likely the case) perhaps you will be more noticed on this thread as it can start with helping with problems that neone is welcome to solve.

so shall i start then?

i have a problem with the 3 variatinos of there (ci/li/la')

i know that la' is like a casual way of saying it but is there a rule the teaher hasn't taught me as to WHEN to apply each....for example

1) ci vuole dieci minuti di arivarla'.

(it takes me 10 mins to arriver there)

2) vorrei andarli OR vorrei andarci

(i would like to go there) (i would like to go there)

I'm not sure.. usually the ci come before the verb..
NB: ci in 1) means it ( BUT i'm not certain cuz i just though ci vuole=it takes me)

Can some1 help me with this..i would gladly assist peeps with their future comments/queries as well.

THANKS!~ post here (any suggestions r welcome)

Sarbear8

HSC
Ciao
I would love to help you with (ci/li/la) pero` i haven't been taught it yet! Our class is a bit behind and im in year 11 and your obviously in year 12! I was hoping you could help me. Do you know how to start a diary entry? I have to write one and im not sure how to start it! Sorry i can't help you but i'll appreciate the help!
Grazie

HSC
We haven't done diary entries in class but there's movie by Nanni Moretti called 'Caro Diario' and in it he starts his voice-over diary entries with 'Caro Diario, Oggi...' ecc. Hope this helps :) Then the diary entry should be informal, in a narrative style and emulate real life emotion etc.

Last edited:

Gemstar

HSC
hmm diary entry, i would just recall the events of the day, most obviously in chronological order. Have a bit of story telling and lead it up to an intresting climax teacher's like that. No worries, love to help.

Sarbear8

HSC
Grazie molto,
Thanks for replying! I've done so many diary entries now that "Caro diario" is getting really boring! Thanks again!:)

eyetalian

HSC
N/A
Hey Gemstar and fellow Italians

Thanks for this thread finally I can get some help lol Im not the greatest with this language and the italian forum has been pretty dead of late.

My question is
what does "ci vuole" mean
Gemstar you used it before, does it have a literal meaning or is it casual.

Also how do you say "before" when its at the end or the middle of the sentence

for example
1) I went to the movies before

2) Before I go to the movies

3) I went to the movies before the new movie "Life is Beautiful" came out.

and also the term "that" or "that is"

the difference between
cio
cioe
che e
quello e etc

I dont know when to use each one

or if you want to say "is that"

Or quello che means "that which" when do we use that in english and does the term quello ever change in that sentence to quel, quella, quel' etc

Thanks, please help

Eyetalian

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Gemstar said:
so shall i start then?

i have a problem with the 3 variatinos of there (ci/li/la')

i know that la' is like a casual way of saying it but is there a rule the teaher hasn't taught me as to WHEN to apply each....for example

1) ci vuole dieci minuti di arivarla'.

(it takes me 10 mins to arriver there)

2) vorrei andarli OR vorrei andarci

(i would like to go there) (i would like to go there)

I'm not sure.. usually the ci come before the verb..
NB: ci in 1) means it ( BUT i'm not certain cuz i just though ci vuole=it takes me)

Can some1 help me with this..i would gladly assist peeps with their future comments/queries as well.

THANKS!~ post here (any suggestions r welcome)
I don't know how much this will help. But from memory 'ci' means 'there' when the place is preceeded by 'a.' So, for example, you say 'voglio andare al supermercato' or 'voglio andarci' or 'ci voglio andare.'

so are you sure 1 is correct? because i would have written that as 'ci vuole 10 minuti d'arrivarci' (you ask - arrivare dove? arrivare a qualche posto. so arrivare is followed by 'a', so it'll be 'ci' nd not 'li' or 'la'

ci vuole is different altogether - it doesn't have anything to do with 'there,' it comes from the verb 'volerci'
http://italian-language-lessons.blogspot.com/2006/11/volere-to-want.html
http://italian-language-lessons.blogspot.com/2007/03/understanding-verbs-ci-volere.html

ci vuole doesn't necessarily mean 'it takes me' - more like 'it takes'

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
eyetalian said:
Thanks for this thread finally I can get some help lol Im not the greatest with this language and the italian forum has been pretty dead of late.

My question is
what does "ci vuole" mean
Gemstar you used it before, does it have a literal meaning or is it casual.
this might help
http://italian-language-lessons.blogspot.com/2007/03/understanding-verbs-ci-volere.html
if you have any more questions about what it means ask, but there is no reason for me to repeat what has been written on that page here :)

eyetalian said:
Also how do you say "before" when its at the end or the middle of the sentence

for example
1) I went to the movies before

2) Before I go to the movies

3) I went to the movies before the new movie "Life is Beautiful" came out.
I think prima would still work in most of the cases?
1) Sono gia' andato/a al cinema - gia' probably sounds better there, if you say 'sono andato/a al cinema prima' it's sort of like, before what? rather than, i've been to the movies already. even when you write it in english it makes more sense to use 'already'
or if you wanted to say 'i went to the movies before the shops
Sono andato/a al cinema prima d'andare ai negozi

2) Prima d'andare al cinema...

3) I'm not quite sure how you'd say that but I think prima would still work

eyetalian said:
and also the term "that" or "that is"

the difference between
cio
cioe
che e
quello e etc

I dont know when to use each one
good question...
if i find anything i'll post it up

eyetalian said:
or if you want to say "is that"
i assume you mean a question. it'd just be
e'
because remember questions are written as a statement with a question mark at the end. So 'is that mark?' would be 'e' marco?'

eyetalian said:
Or quello che means "that which" when do we use that in english and does the term quello ever change in that sentence to quel, quella, quel' etc
It sounds a big funny in English, I don't really know how to describe where we use it, it's really annoying not having the correct words in your head! But an example:
It's that which I like - e' quello che mi piace

I'm pretty sure it can change http://learnitalian.elanguageschool.net/mod/resource/view.php?id=127

Don't take anything I say as definitely true as I'm a bit rusty :p

Andrew007

HSC
geez, i havnt even been taught this stuff....and my trial for italian is 2moz.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)