Need help with picking my subjects (1 Viewer)

JTJosh

HSC
Hi guys,

This is more of a affirmation of my subjects because I have already picked it and I really just want some thoughts.

3U English
3U Mathematics
Legal Studies
Modern History
Ancient History

Is there any problem with my roster?

I'm in year 11 of course, and of course I'm not sure of which to drop yet. I know you're supposed to pick subjects you like and I did. Do I have a problem with scaling or it looks pretty good? I do not come here asking for validation, I just want to see what people think of my subjects and hope that I did the right thing. :) I originally did accelerated chemistry and was meant to do my HSC for it this year however lockdown killed my passion for it unfortunately, screw covid.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I don’t see anything wrong with your current subject selection. It is comprised of some good scaling subjects, such as Mathematics Extension 1, Modern History and, to a lesser extent, English Extension 1. You have also picked those subjects on the basis of interest, meaning that you acknowledge that scaling is not the primary factor to consider when choosing your subjects, but rather your interest and performance potential in those subjects, since you can achieve a high ATAR with any combination of subjects.

I hope this helps! :D

JTJosh

HSC
I don’t see anything wrong with your current subject selection. It is comprised of some good scaling subjects, such as Mathematics Extension 1, Modern History and, to a lesser extent, English Extension 1. You have also picked those subjects on the basis of interest, meaning that you acknowledge that scaling is not the primary factor to consider when choosing your subjects, but rather your interest and performance potential in those subjects, since you can achieve a high ATAR with any combination of subjects.

I hope this helps! :D
Is it too content heavy? Or with the right studying i can even get a 90+ atar kind of thing? Yes I know you can get any atar with any roster of subjects but hopefully my array has some decent scaling power. :D

c_z_m

HSC
Is it too content heavy? Or with the right studying i can even get a 90+ atar kind of thing? Yes I know you can get any atar with any roster of subjects but hopefully my array has some decent scaling power. :D
Yeah there's "decent scaling power" in there - but keep in mind you should spend more time on some subjects than others. A lot of ATARs are lower than they could've been (including mine) because we didn't spend enough time on English - do note that you should spend decent time on your weakest subjects. You will get a feel of which subjects you like and which you don't - and when the time comes, feel free to drop your worst subject, as I would recommend doing 10 units for your HSC.

JTJosh

HSC
Also is it true that socioeconomically disadvantaged students/schools get a very slight ATAR boost? I don't want to say it but my school is very mediocre in some aspects.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
One could probably infer that your subjects are mostly content-heavy, possibly leading to increased workload, which, depending on your study abilities, may or may not be an issue. Different students handle their different workloads in different ways and with varying effectiveness, meaning that whether you find the workload imposed by your respective subjects overwhelming is to be determined through your experience as you progress through year 11.

Also is it true that socioeconomically disadvantaged students/schools get a very slight ATAR boost? I don't want to say it but my school is very mediocre in some aspects.
I don't believe that is true. Essentially, ATAR's are determined the same way, irrespective of the school. There are, however, early entry schemes for universities that take into account whether you or your school/area are classified as socioeconomically disadvantaged.

specificagent1

HSC
You won't get an atar boost but you may get adjustment factors

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)