• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Need help (1 Viewer)

laptopman_01

HSC
Hey ppl! I was wondering if any1 could please help me out with a question that I have:
When a Q says 'comment on the profitability/solvency,etc.' what are some things that you could put cause I have no idea what stuff to write!

Any info that you could provide would be greatly appreciated, thanx guys!

Always

HSC
Re: Need help with Financial Planning & Management!!

Profitability: compare it to the industry average.

Solvency: the gearing ratio (debt/equity) should ideally be around 60%, unless the industry average states otherwise. Anything higher and you could comment on the business being possibly 'highly geared' and facing the risk of insolvency (unable to pay debts in the long term).

Lorie

HSC

Yeah i agree benchmarking is the best way to monitor and compare this years results to the industry average and/or previous years to see how the business is going.

XcarvengerX

Chocobo
HSC

Liquidity: The higher the ratio, the better for the business.
Industry average (if not stated) would be 2 : 1, which literally means that the firm has $2 current assets for every $1 of current liabilities. You can say something like the business is liquid and will be able to pay for its debts in the short term. Also remember that too high a ratio means that the current assets are not being used fully. The business can increase its productivity or invest somewhere else to increase its profit.

Solvency: The lower the ratio or percentage, the better for the business.
Industry average (if not stated) would be below 100% or lower than 1 : 1, which literally means that the firm has $1 in external debt (liabilities) for every $1 of internal debt (owner's equity). You can say something like the business is solvent, lowly geared, has a sound financial position, so this firm is in a safe position. The business is stabile and investors will be more attracted.

Profitability:
The higher the percentage, the better for the business.
There are three types of profitability ratios: gross profit ratio, net profit ratio, and return on owner's equity. The most common one in exam is return on owner's equity.
Industry average for gross profit ratio (if not stated) would be 20% - 50%
Industry average for net profit ratio (if not stated) would be 10% - 15%
Industry average for return on owner's equity (if not stated) would be 12% - 16%

Hope this helps.:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)