[NEED URGENT HELP] BCom Unit Selection & Enrolment (1 Viewer)

Tastelikecola

HSC
Hi guys,

I'm new to BCom at USyd and I would like to ask for any recommendation on unit selection. I'm having problem deciding what core unit should I enrol in semester one and semester two (which should go together during a semester). I heard that the BUSS1020 Quantitative Business Analysis should be enrolled in different semester with BUSS1030 and BUSS1040 as these three are considered to be tougher than the others.

Any suggestion on this matter?

Look forward to hearing from you guys

Thanks!

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
There's no steadfast rule about what order you should do them in. But personally, I'd do all 3 in the first semester. BUSS1020/1030/1040 are the first units you should be completing for certain majors, and doing them in second semester may mean that if you decide to pursue that major, you may have to do more 1st year units in your 2nd year. So unless you are 100% sure you aren't going to major in Accounting, Economics or Econometrics, I would do all of them first semester. This is just for purposes of keeping your options as spread out as possible.

BUSS1020 isn't necessarily hard per se, if you enjoy mathematics and statistics it shouldn't be too hard.

hovamagna

HSC
N/A
There's no steadfast rule about what order you should do them in. But personally, I'd do all 3 in the first semester. BUSS1020/1030/1040 are the first units you should be completing for certain majors, and doing them in second semester may mean that if you decide to pursue that major, you may have to do more 1st year units in your 2nd year. So unless you are 100% sure you aren't going to major in Accounting, Economics or Econometrics, I would do all of them first semester. This is just for purposes of keeping your options as spread out as possible.

BUSS1020 isn't necessarily hard per se, if you enjoy mathematics and statistics it shouldn't be too hard.

Random question, but is ECMT1010, = buss1020 ? would that be the same? Also is buss1020 just introductory statistics or..?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
That's right. They both roughly cover the same content and you can't do one if you have done the other. If you are doing a Commerce degree, they would want you to do BUSS1020, but either unit can be used as a prerequisite for second and third year studies.

BUSS1020 is basically just introductory statistics applied to business contexts.

Tastelikecola

HSC
Thank you mate!
Actually, I am 100% sure I won't major in accounting, economics, and econometrics!.
I've decided to go with BUSS1001, BUSS1030, BUSS1040, and MKT1001 in the first semester and BUSS1002, BUSS1020 in the second semester.
Now I have two electives left, do you have any suggestion on which unit should I enrol?

Tastelikecola

HSC

Thank you mate!
Actually, I am 100% sure I won't major in accounting, economics, and econometrics!.
I've decided to go with BUSS1001, BUSS1030, BUSS1040, and MKT1001 in the first semester and BUSS1002, BUSS1020 in the second semester.
Now I have two electives left, do you have any suggestion on which unit should I enrol?

HSC
I said the same thing, but then I actually enjoyed Accounting and Economics and majoring in Accounting now, haha. INFS1000 is a good choice if you're into information systems, CLAW1001 for some background knowledge or ECON1002 Macroeconomics (as opposed to BUSS1040 which is mostly Microeconomics) are decent from the Business School. If you're brave enough, you can also take FINC2011, which has assumed knowledge of BUSS1020. From other faculties, PSYC1002 is a fairly popular unit - goes well with marketing. I've heard decent things about philosophy (not sure about unit code though).

My vote goes to INFS1000; I'm enjoying the unit right now and it's got a more practical approach. In fact, there aren't even traditional lectures. :D but you can change your semester 2 units any time, so I wouldn't be too fussed.

One thing to note is that if you have a slight inclination to a particular major right now (e.g. commercial law) it might be more efficient to take the junior unit in sem 1, so you can continue your major in sem 2.

superberlicious

HSC
Thank you mate!
I'm doing the exact same for Semester 1!
For electives, if potential majors have junior units, do them! For example, for my second major I am debating between 4 majors, but only 2 of them have junior units, so I'm doing them 2nd semester, that way in case I did decide to do one of them, I don't have to worry about doing junior units later. Does anyone agree with this, or is this not recommended?

Amleops

Perpetual Student
HSC
Thank you mate!
You have a choice of 3 from the Business faculty; CLAW1001, INFS1000 and WORK1003. I can personally recommend CLAW1001, I found it really interesting when I did it.

Alterntively, if you are just looking for some filler units to boost your WAM, you could do WRIT1000/1001 from the Arts faculty. All they do is teach you about proper English and how to write essays respectively, and it's not hard to get a Distinction with minimal effort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)