New IR Reforms (1 Viewer)

jasonmatthew

HSC
Hi I am currently doing this section in the Labour Market chapter for HSC Economics:
Labour market policies
• current industrial relations framework
– safety net, wage cases, enterprise bargaining, workplace agreements, individual contracts
– role of the courts, tribunals and the employment advocate
– arguments for and against the current mix of market and non-market forces used to determine the returns to labour

I preety much use Tim rileys book, but have noticed that much of his stuff is based on the 1996 Workplace relations Act and not the new workchoices stuff. Any suggestions of what should i do or what text should i use to get the most updated and relevant stuff for this section of the syllabis
Thanks for your help

lil_huyenie

HSC
sorry to be barging in on ur thread but i was just wondering...

are the ACTU, or STATE GOVERNMENT affected by the new workplace relations act... and if so, how??

cause i was doing research on this matter but i was just confused about the role that these two parties play..

ps ( my teacher said that the state government have been impacted by these changes )

cheers

jasonmatthew

HSC
Yes because all power of IR has been givern to the federal government now
Thanks

gnrlies

HSC
jasonmatthew said:
Yes because all power of IR has been givern to the federal government now
Thanks
That is incorrect.

The states still have power under the constitution to legislate IR.

IR is still very much a state responsibility.

The reason why the federal government can legislate on industrial relations, when it is in fact a state constitutional power; is because the federal govt uses the corporations power for which the federal government has responsibility over.

The government has the power to legislate on issues relating to corporations - including IR.

Where this gets complicated, is that the new workchoices legislation, only applies to corporations. This means that unincorporated businesses are subject to state IR laws.

In some states howevor workchoices applies to all businesses. NSW is not one of these states.

gnrlies

HSC
lil_huyenie said:
sorry to be barging in on ur thread but i was just wondering...

are the ACTU, or STATE GOVERNMENT affected by the new workplace relations act... and if so, how??

cause i was doing research on this matter but i was just confused about the role that these two parties play..

ps ( my teacher said that the state government have been impacted by these changes )

cheers
Well i dont know that the state government is really affected except to say that the federal government has found a way to legislate on a traditionally state govt issue.

If by the ACTU you are refering to unions; there are impacts on the type of actions which unions can take, i.e. striking etc...

lil_huyenie

HSC
would the introduction of the new workplace relations act reduce the powers that state government has to legislate IR...

and also does it mean that unions are now even less significant in the workplace due to encouragement employees negotiating their own wage??

thanks.!

gnrlies

HSC
lil_huyenie said:
would the introduction of the new workplace relations act reduce the powers that state government has to legislate IR...

and also does it mean that unions are now even less significant in the workplace due to encouragement employees negotiating their own wage??

thanks.!

Workchoices does not attempt to limit the states abilities to legislate IR. No government can do this unless we hold a referendum in order to change the constitution. What it does do howevor, is use the corporations power, to legislate on issues for which there is a legal case to suggest that both the states and federal govt have control over. The federal govt has chosen to exercise this legal right, and the federal government takes priority over state legislation for corporations.

As for unions; there are a few different impacts. The workchoices legislation is a policy which promotes individualism over collectivism. And this is where unions play a lesser role. Unions operate on the principle of collectivism, and as such their power and ability to influence IR outcomes is now less (this is as a result of individual bargaining, new restrictions on union activity, etc)

nickyroony

BigBlogger
HSC
Just another question to add on to that... how likely is it that in this year's HSC an extended response will be asked on the industrial relations? (since things have changed since the syllabus etc). It's not like I'm not gonna study for it.. but I just hate being surprised when I go into an exam. And I know that if that's asked, it's gonna throw me off completely.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I''d say it would be very unlikely that an extended response question would be that specific. There may however be a question that would allow you to talk about the labor market reforms as part of your response. i.e a general question on economic policies. But would be quite suprised if they asked a specific question on such a limited part of the course. (which ultimately has some controversy to it).
Of course, make sure you know the reforms nonetheless. Its essential to know what economic policies the government is implementing.
Be ready to answer an essay topic on any section of the course.

Last edited:

iain_12345

HSC
Rafy said:
I''d say it would be very unlikely that an extended response question would be that specific. There may however be a question that would allow you to talk about the labor market reforms as part of your response. i.e a general question on economic policies. But would be quite suprised if they asked a specific question on such a limited part of the course. (which ultimately has some controversy to it).
Of course, make sure you know the reforms nonetheless. Its essential to know what economic policies the government is implementing.
Be ready to answer an essay topic on any section of the course.

I think it is very likely that they will ask a question on it ...it is just as big as the fiscal, monetary and micro sections... i could seriously see i micro question with specific reference to the new IR laws because as students of economics we shud be staying up to date with current economic developments. I think the only essays you cud rule out, only partially though, is essays on trade policy and, incomes and pricing policies.

gnrlies

HSC
nickyroony said:
Just another question to add on to that... how likely is it that in this year's HSC an extended response will be asked on the industrial relations? (since things have changed since the syllabus etc). It's not like I'm not gonna study for it.. but I just hate being surprised when I go into an exam. And I know that if that's asked, it's gonna throw me off completely.
If you are able to outline the advantages and disadvantages of a deregulated labour market, you are doing good.

They arent going to ask you a question that is policy specific. The HSC is very broad. It does not require specific knowledge

Mr. Sabuncuoglu

Foo Fighter
HSC
HSC ECONOMICS exam along with all the others were made 1 month prior to the implementation of these reforms... dunt expect something to be specific on the reforms as the economists writing the exam (teachers) wouldn't know the effect on the Australian Economy but can only assume it...

i dunno something i sorta made up lolz...

correct me if i'm wrong plz :)

gnrlies

HSC
Mr. Sabuncuoglu said:
HSC ECONOMICS exam along with all the others were made 1 month prior to the implementation of these reforms... dunt expect something to be specific on the reforms as the economists writing the exam (teachers) wouldn't know the effect on the Australian Economy but can only assume it...

i dunno something i sorta made up lolz...

correct me if i'm wrong plz :)
Id be surprised if they dont put labour market reform in some kind of predominant way in the exam, howevor if you dont know about the ins and outs of workchoices, you arent going to be severely challenged

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)