New university student newspaper (1 Viewer)

B

Bambul

There's a new student newspaper that published its first edition a few weeks ago. It is currently online only, but will be expanding in the coming moths and years:

"We believe that the time for a national student newspaper has returned. The Student Leader, which launches today as an online journal, will become that newspaper. In mid-2005, we’ll be launching in print across Sydney. By the beginning of 2007, we’ll be on every Australian university campus. It’ll take a lot of work. It’s been tough to get this far. But it’ll be worth it."

Last years editors of Tharunka (UNSW's student newspaper) are working for it, and they are getting other people from other unis and who hold different points of view (right now there is a bit of a right wing bias, but they are trying to get some left leaning writers to balance it out a bit). I know some of the people who are writing for it and they are all really hard working and dedicated.

I really recomend you take a look if you are interested. The URL is: http://www.leader.org.au

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
The articles are quite well written and I think it is a really good idea.... it will provide more opportunities for students to get work published as well as being useful for uni students across Australia.

I know that it has been slammed a bit because it is somewhat commercial and also because it is somewhat right wing. But if it grows in the way they are aiming for I think that it will not matter if it is commercial and I think it will balance out.... you will still have your more radical student papers at the universities and this will service a different market to those.

Sasky

HSC
I'm studying them for my advertising project - I have to try and talk to the editors about it too.
I think it's a great idea - we really need an independant newspaper for and run by students! But yeah bdAsh, I would definetly look forward to see its turnout - politically mostly.

Acid

HSC
I'm interested in contributing to either this or the UNSW paper, Tharunka. Anyone got any contact emails - can't seem to find them on the website.

My resume is yours on request - I am willing to bet that no contributor you'll find has more industry experience than me, without boasting. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Yay Joe Stella and Kathryn Small. Last year's Tharunka was so much better than this years (even though I was labelled "inexperienced" and unethical in an article published about Comsoc last year..)

B

Bambul

If you want to get in contact with the Tharunka guys then you can just walk into the Tharunka office and talk to them there. It's at the end of the corridor on the right inside the Guild Office.

If you want to contribute to student leader then you can find out more info at http://www.leader.org.au/about/content/write/

I'm personally not expecting much of Tharunka this year. The editor (Janet Duncan) was the editor of Blitz last year and I know a lot of people who are not happy with the quality of Blitz last year. The Guild people initially told the Tharunka editors what they can and cannot publish, plus the point of view they should take. So the editors quit and they were replaced by Janet Duncan.

Mind you, I do admit to being biased in favour of last years Tharunka editors, who are now at Student Leader. Even if they did say some bad things about Minai. :)

Acid

HSC
Bambul said:
If you want to contribute to student leader then you can find out more info at http://www.leader.org.au/about/content/write/
LOL that page lists no info about how you go about contacting them with regards to contributing or what the process is (i.e. if a resume is required, if past experience is required, etc)..

Another thing I found amusing with Leader was the fact that they take themselves a little too seriously - going on about their "board of directors" and having a "managing director".

Still interested in contributing though. :)

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
Bambul said:
If you want to get in contact with the Tharunka guys then you can just walk into the Tharunka office and talk to them there. It's at the end of the corridor on the right inside the Guild Office.

I'm personally not expecting much of Tharunka this year. The editor (Janet Duncan) was the editor of Blitz last year and I know a lot of people who are not happy with the quality of Blitz last year. The Guild people initially told the Tharunka editors what they can and cannot publish, plus the point of view they should take. So the editors quit and they were replaced by Janet Duncan.

Mind you, I do admit to being biased in favour of last years Tharunka editors, who are now at Student Leader. Even if they did say some bad things about Minai. :)
I dislike the way Gulfam always reiterates that he "is the editor and always reads Tharunka first, and decides what gets published" (things that make the Guild look bad he'll probably censor). Tharunka should be independant of politics as I feel it is now biased toward the Guild sentiment (left wing, anti-VSU etc)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
You don't need a resume or experience to write for a student paper anywhere.... basically what you do is write a good article.... then ask them if they will publish it. If they like it and it meets the "genre" of their publication, then they probably will if it is reasonably written. The student leader has a style guide so you will have to follow that to get published:
http://www.leader.org.au/about/content/style_guide/

There is also the contributor guidelines
http://www.leader.org.au/about/content/contributor_agreement/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)