• Got a question on how to use our new website? Check out our user guide here!

Ngo&Sons vs Focus College for 4u (1 Viewer)

caesar_salad

HSC
Hi, the title says it but I am considering going to a 4u tutoring class but I'm considering whether to go to Ngo&Sons or Focus College. I would appreciate your opinions and personal experiences. Thank

BMWM2

HSC
Hi,

I used to go to Ngo and Sons (junior maths 7-9) and currently attend Focus College since the middle of year 11,

I love focus college and the teaching style of Jimmy, the head tutor. He is both funny but serious and expects hard work, but unlike Ngo and Sons which I feel push you a lot to the point where tutor isn't really enjoyable, Focus is more self guided as in Jimmy will give you the work (which are always exam questions on the topic), but expects you to put the hard yards in and finish it to a high level.

Thus, there can be a disparity in the class of those who remain quiet and don't get the most out of it, and those who work their hardest and reap the benefits. Being lazy was me at the beginning, but as of recently, I have been working hard at it and see the benefits of Jimmy's teaching. You can try and be lazy and he may not find out but eventually, he will kick you out. I have seen this so many times. Some of my mates have been mucking around, not working hard and he then surprises them in class by asking them to solve a hard inverse trig question for example and he can see right through all of them.

As much as I only do 3U/2U, i know the 4U class is very advanced and quick - as in i heard they have already finished content for this year's HSC (class of 2019) but i might be wrong. I do know 100% though that for the 3U class with all the 4U students, their class goes for 1.5 hrs whereas all the other standard 3U classes go for 2hs.

Focus is also really cheap - some of my other tutors are 1K + a term, and Jimmy i think charges about 350-400 (last time I saw the invoice) and always lets you move classes or go to extra classes free of charge if he feels you need help or if you want to consolidate content.

I am really glad i moved to Focus and am going to be hella sad when I leave Jimmy - he's an really nice guy, works you hard and helps you get the results you want. Ngo and Sons for me was OK, but there was no consistency in the teaching, I had a fresh uni student instead of an experienced tutor and the homework was meh.

caesar_salad

HSC
Hi,

I used to go to Ngo and Sons (junior maths 7-9) and currently attend Focus College since the middle of year 11,

I love focus college and the teaching style of Jimmy, the head tutor. He is both funny but serious and expects hard work, but unlike Ngo and Sons which I feel push you a lot to the point where tutor isn't really enjoyable, Focus is more self guided as in Jimmy will give you the work (which are always exam questions on the topic), but expects you to put the hard yards in and finish it to a high level.

Thus, there can be a disparity in the class of those who remain quiet and don't get the most out of it, and those who work their hardest and reap the benefits. Being lazy was me at the beginning, but as of recently, I have been working hard at it and see the benefits of Jimmy's teaching. You can try and be lazy and he may not find out but eventually, he will kick you out. I have seen this so many times. Some of my mates have been mucking around, not working hard and he then surprises them in class by asking them to solve a hard inverse trig question for example and he can see right through all of them.

As much as I only do 3U/2U, i know the 4U class is very advanced and quick - as in i heard they have already finished content for this year's HSC (class of 2019) but i might be wrong. I do know 100% though that for the 3U class with all the 4U students, their class goes for 1.5 hrs whereas all the other standard 3U classes go for 2hs.

Focus is also really cheap - some of my other tutors are 1K + a term, and Jimmy i think charges about 350-400 (last time I saw the invoice) and always lets you move classes or go to extra classes free of charge if he feels you need help or if you want to consolidate content.

I am really glad i moved to Focus and am going to be hella sad when I leave Jimmy - he's an really nice guy, works you hard and helps you get the results you want. Ngo and Sons for me was OK, but there was no consistency in the teaching, I had a fresh uni student instead of an experienced tutor and the homework was meh.
Hi thanks for this! I've heard from a few that he could be quite intimidating so I'm concerned about calling in regards to coming for a trial class since today is literally the day before the class, so I feel as though it may be too late for me since apparently I needed to attend the first lesson (from some of his students and a friend who is trialing tmrw) :/

BMWM2

HSC
Hi thanks for this! I've heard from a few that he could be quite intimidating so I'm concerned about calling in regards to coming for a trial class since today is literally the day before the class, so I feel as though it may be too late for me since apparently I needed to attend the first lesson (from some of his students and a friend who is trialing tmrw) :/
dont worry about calling him, he is very nice - try and get maybe your parent to organise it/call him, but im not sure he does trial lessons, just double check with him

Yeah on my first lesson and often for other new students, he makes you sit at the front (especially for 3U and 4U) to check your pace in answering questions because he does go fast and the content gets difficult. To manage this, I would suggest try and keep up best you can and listen very carefully to how he explains the content, because as long as you have solid math foundations (unlike me and most likely like you as you're doing 4U) the content becomes a lot easier and you increase speed. The thing that is good about his technique like this is it makes you increase both your speed and accuracy which I have found helps me in exams quite a bit.

in terms of attending the first lesson, not sure what you mean but regardless, give him a call - for me in yr 11, the 3U class were doing max and min problems, so instead of chucking me into the deep end with no idea, he made be attend the 2U class and 3U class for about a month (twice a week) where I learned all differentiation and all that, so that I could work on thee 3U content and catch up - Im sure he will organise something like this with you if he thinks you need it. If you don't think that you need it, just do it because he usually knows best and is super experienced.
Also, these extra classes are normally free, because he is not about money but about you actually learning which is good

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)