Nintendo 3DS vs 2DS (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Ahh just caved in and bought one.

It wasn't an easy decision. Bought the 2DS with Pokemon X for NZ$199 (I know Big W has it for $148 in Aussie but that's no help to me here), took it home, didn't open it, kept thinking about the screen size comparison and that I had sacrificed the key differentiation feature (it'd be like buying an Xbox One without Kinect right?), and thought for NZ$268 I could get a 3DS XL instead (although Pokemon here is NZS$75!)...

... so here I am, with a 3DS XL. And no games yet. I've asked my mates to buy Pokemon for me in Australia (only $50) and bring it over.

The dilemmas. How I wish I had brought my Wii U with me to NZ then I could be playing Mario Kart 8 right now.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
How are you finding it?

The 3DS library is fantastic.

rawrliongirl

HSC
I want to buy a 3DS XL...but I already spent all my moneyT_T ..plus my dad says I don't need one...but I do! My DS lite is nearly dead!!! D:
Personally I don't like the look of the 2DS, to me it just looks weird.

OzKo

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
I want to buy a 3DS XL...but I already spent all my moneyT_T ..plus my dad says I don't need one...but I do! My DS lite is nearly dead!!! D:
Personally I don't like the look of the 2DS, to me it just looks weird.
I've also heard that the build quality of the 2DS is poor.

Oh yeah, let's not forget it's less portable as well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm enjoying my 3DS XL. It definitely looks like a premium product and the giant screen makes it feel like a premium experience. The 3D display looks cool but since it doesn't work the moment you tilt your head off centre or move (which is particularly difficult given quite a few games use gyroscope/accelerometer controls), I end up turning it off quite often. That being said when it's on it does look cool and can make graphics look more high resolution/detailed than they actually are. It impresses me it's still using such low-spec components compared to modern phones/tablets yet produces a solid gaming experience. Not a fan of the eStore though compared to PSN/XBL (it's as bad here as it is on my Wii U). I do like some of the Virtual Console games (e.g. old GBC and NES games, including those which are remade in 3D!) but the interface to buy them as well as the whole lack of competitive pricing turns me off.

I enjoyed the 3DS so much and my girlfriend enjoyed Nintendogs so I bought her a 2DS last week. The 2DS is actually more comfortable to hold than the 3DS XL because your hands hold it like a slate rather than having to cramp up to support the clamshell. Reminds me of my DS Lite (ahh memories- bought it with my first paycheck). The 2DS actually still feels quite good but also feels stronger than 3DS where the hinge has made me wonder a few times if it'll last the test of time.

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
monster hunter 3 ultimate yo

hundreds of hours of playability (literally)

(slight bias cos im a massive monster hunter fan)

Kiraken

RISK EVERYTHING
HSC
N/A
actually when you get back on your wii u get it on that too so you can play online

madharris

HSC
N/A
monster hunter 3 ultimate yo

hundreds of hours of playability (literally)

(slight bias cos im a massive monster hunter fan)
Played mh3u the other day. I had forgotten how bad I was at the game! Hahahaha

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I find I play my gf's 2DS quite a bit when I'm lying in bed as the tablet form is much easier to hold. The screen is a bit smaller and feels not as lively as my 3DSXL but it's easier to handle. Managed to finish Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask too after playing an hour each night.

Now to finish Pokemon Y.

photastic

HSC
I find I play my gf's 2DS quite a bit when I'm lying in bed as the tablet form is much easier to hold. The screen is a bit smaller and feels not as lively as my 3DSXL but it's easier to handle. Managed to finish Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask too after playing an hour each night.

Now to finish Pokemon Y.
Professor Layton vs Ace attorney is fken awesome.

Can't wait for pokemon omega ruby and alpha sapphire

Scott752

HSC
Love my 3DS, I don't really see the point of the 2DS as the main feature of the portable console was that it was 3D, although I find I don't use the 3D all the time. Either way I guess you get what you pay for a 2DS is a lot cheaper. I really like some of the games that are out on the DS. Really great portable system, keen for Omega Ruby, Alpha Sapphire!

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
^ True, that's why I ended up going for the 3DS XL rather than 2DS. And the bigger screen was amazeballs to play on.

But that being said, I find the 2DS is far more comfortable to hold especially when lying on my back in bed!

LongeCrK

HSC
In my opinion, the 1DS is the best.

Most underrated post!

I personally find the 2DS very appealing, however I haven't yet tried it in person so I can't really tell whether the quality has suffered or not. I would definitely go for it as I find the 3D quite gimmicky and have never used it. On the other hand, 2DS seems much bulkier and I don't know whether traveling around with it is any better than simply putting the 3DS (original, not the XL) into my pocket.

Meretseger1

HSC
when I play in the 3DS at night, there is the silly bright blue power light and the green 3D sign light are waaaaaayyy to bright! not to even mention the way the 3D setting kills me eyes. (I never...ever... play with the 3D setting on anymore

turntaker

HSC
when I play in the 3DS at night, there is the silly bright blue power light and the green 3D sign light are waaaaaayyy to bright! not to even mention the way the 3D setting kills me eyes. (I never...ever... play with the 3D setting on anymore
do you have the new 3ds or old 3ds

faolan

HSC
i have the new 3DS. its actually quite cool.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
The 3D setting on the 3DS is quite useless honestly, it depends on how you hold the 3DS and who bothers adjusting the screen to see the game in 3D? I find the game way more fun to play without 3D.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)