Noob Questions (1 Viewer)

EvansOne

HSC
N/A
Some pretty noobish questions here.

Basically, I'm planning on doing the Bachelor of Education (Secondary:Humanities and Social Sciences)/Bachelor of Arts at UoS. I'll be taking a gap year next year so this will start in 2014. I've been reading about the course structure here - http://sydney.edu.au/education_soci...ergraduate/bed_combined/bedba_crsstruct.shtml - and I have a few questions about it. My major teaching area will be Ancient History and my minor will be Geography...hopefully.

So looking at Semester 1 of year 1 for example. I have the core education unit. Then I have the "first teaching area/major" unit, which I assume must come from ANHS units only. Then there's the "second teaching area" unit...since I'd like to teach Geography, which units do I have to select from? I can't seem to find any "GEOG" units or anything similar...I could be searching in the wrong place or something though. Then thirdly there's one that simply says "Junior unit of study from Faculty of Arts/Social Sciences". What do I pick here? Can it be anything at all or does it have to relate to my teaching units? If anyone can help here it would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm planning on doing an exchange sometime during the course, preferably to the USA. I've managed to gather that the University of Georgia has ties with UoS as a partner...what are my odds of being exchanged here as an education student? Has anyone done this/can anyone give me some pointers or whatever on how to go about it? Can this be done in first year? Again help is greatly appreciated!

I may have more questions later...hopefully someone can respond here!

izzy88

HSC
Some pretty noobish questions here.

Basically, I'm planning on doing the Bachelor of Education (Secondary:Humanities and Social Sciences)/Bachelor of Arts at UoS. I'll be taking a gap year next year so this will start in 2014. I've been reading about the course structure here - http://sydney.edu.au/education_soci...ergraduate/bed_combined/bedba_crsstruct.shtml - and I have a few questions about it. My major teaching area will be Ancient History and my minor will be Geography...hopefully.

So looking at Semester 1 of year 1 for example. I have the core education unit. Then I have the "first teaching area/major" unit, which I assume must come from ANHS units only. Then there's the "second teaching area" unit...since I'd like to teach Geography, which units do I have to select from? I can't seem to find any "GEOG" units or anything similar...I could be searching in the wrong place or something though. Then thirdly there's one that simply says "Junior unit of study from Faculty of Arts/Social Sciences". What do I pick here? Can it be anything at all or does it have to relate to my teaching units? If anyone can help here it would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm planning on doing an exchange sometime during the course, preferably to the USA. I've managed to gather that the University of Georgia has ties with UoS as a partner...what are my odds of being exchanged here as an education student? Has anyone done this/can anyone give me some pointers or whatever on how to go about it? Can this be done in first year? Again help is greatly appreciated!

I may have more questions later...hopefully someone can respond here!
I think (i may be wrong here) that geography falls under science, so it's in the 'Table B' (other faculty units - follow the link on the page you gave under semester 1 table B) under 'environmental studies' .

Exchange will generally not be done in first year - applications are usually due july/august the year before, so I can't think that the applications could work for a first year. I'm not sure as to how competitive arts exchanges are. Someone else might be able to chime in here.

jet

Banned
HSC
This is just a little thing, but if you want to abbreviate "The University of Sydney" we usually say "USyd" because "UoS" stands for "Unit of Study" and it can get confusing.

And yes, geography is managed by the School of Geosciences which is under Science.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)