Not being accepted into an extension course (1 Viewer)

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
I am in year 11.

My school is ranked 20-30 and is a public selective school.

I recently applied to get into History extension but was declined because my writing standard was "of a not high enough standard". I haven't even gotten my marks back for my major investigation project for ancient history nor that for my yearly. I am sure I didn't get extremely poor marks. I would say probably nothing under 80%.

Once I was decline I appealed to them and claimed that my work was definitely not the best I could produce and they began telling me how it is a university grade course where only the top few percent of the state do it.

They then began telling me that they don't think I could get a 45/50 which to them is an average mark and anything below that is horrible for extension standards. They then ranted on about how poorly I will do etc and gave me named examples of "exceptional students". They also used the words "naturally gifted" in describing someone who would be accepted into the course.

I told them I do other extensions and they kept saying they will not accept me because of my other commitments to which I replied that it was my own choice and my own ability to prioritise.

I do admit that the department has produced exceptional students couple of 1st in states in last decade for various history/humanity subjects but I can't accept my decline.

12-15 people were accepted out of a possible 30.

I desperately want to get into this course and other extension courses in other departments let people in very easily.

What are my rights here? or am I screwed?

Corvid

HSC
N/A
I don't think a school can stop you from taking a subject, they can only "heavily suggest" you don't take it.

Your school sounds very elitist. You really want to do this and your marks aren't horrible right? You should try talking to a higher up if possible.

jnney

lemon
HSC
If you really, really, really want to do it, I recommend what Corvid has said above. Tell him/her why you want to do the course, etc etc etc. If that doesn't work and you still really want to do it, call up the Board of Studies. Because your school cannot actually refuse you from doing a course. Good luck, and have a good day! :)

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
I don't think a school can stop you from taking a subject, they can only "heavily suggest" you don't take it.

Your school sounds very elitist. You really want to do this and your marks aren't horrible right? You should try talking to a higher up if possible.
marks aren't horrible, i am coming very good in other subjects which are heavily essay writing based (english, ext1 etc)

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
If you really, really, really want to do it, I recommend what Corvid has said above. Tell him/her why you want to do the course, etc etc etc. If that doesn't work and you still really want to do it, call up the Board of Studies. Because your school cannot actually refuse you from doing a course. Good luck, and have a good day! :)
are you 100% sure on this? because from the way they talk they make it seem like it is.

anyways will check up on it, do you have any links?

enoilgam

HSC
Re: Not being accepted into a extension course

I'm pretty sure they cant prevent you from doing a subject. Cem would know more as she is a teacher (I think she teaches Hist extension), you could try asking her.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

How big is the Extension History class allowed to be? At most schools 15 would be the maximum, if not smaller for an Extension class. If it is 15 and 15 are in the class then the school can refuse you admittance on the basis of class full.

Extension courses are a little different to other subjects as they are more 'by invitation' based on performance not just on desire.

Get all the facts - like class size etc and then talk to the BOS - but don't go to the BOS if there are 15 in the class and the maximum size is 15 as the class is full and therefore no room.

I know students think 'what is one extra student?' but the teaching awards and union rules etc are legally binding on schools and maximum class sizes are just that - a maximum.

Not teaching in the state system I don't know what the maximum for an Extension class is. At my school it is about 8 but also a mimimum mark in the 2U course is also applied.

Last edited:
HSC
Uni Grad
That's kind of like my school, I know for History Extension you have to get like 80% in your Yearlies for either Ancient or Modern. But seriously, talk to the Head of Department or Head of Curriculum about it and explain your problem.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

Schools can refuse if the class is full.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
If the class is not full, and there are no students who have 'better' marks than you who still don't have a place in the course when they want to - then the school would have to let you in.

If the class is full, then, the school may restrict you from entering the course.

'Naturally gifted': what a load of bullshit. The HSC has very little to do with natural talent - it has a lot more to do with hard work and consistent application of course material.

Schools can refuse if the class is full.
Cem - how big is a History Extension class?

Starfriend

emancipation
HSC

yeah, if class if full, youre pretty screwed

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
If the class is not full, and there are no students who have 'better' marks than you who still don't have a place in the course when they want to - then the school would have to let you in.

If the class is full, then, the school may restrict you from entering the course.

'Naturally gifted': what a load of bullshit. The HSC has very little to do with natural talent - it has a lot more to do with hard work and consistent application of course material.

Cem - how big is a History Extension class?
In the state system I don't know.

At my school it is 8.

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
How can 12 or 8 be a max for a class? What the hell?

They virtually told me if I do it anyways at the end of all this that I am doomed to get a low mark??? They think that I will not improve and my year 11 marks are going to be my HSC marks???

I'll tell the principal but I need to know what to actually say and what the BOS rules about this are?

EDIT: in maths extenion theyll probably be 2 classes of 30 at the LEAST

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Given that it is an extension class, there can be limits. - limits that are more constraining than otherwise expected.

xfudgex - it would help me a lot more to get a picture if you told us what your school is.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

They virtually told me if I do it anyways at the end of all this that I am doomed to get a low mark??? They think that I will not improve and my year 11 marks are going to be my HSC marks???

I'll tell the principal but I need to know what to actually say and what the BOS rules about this are?

EDIT: in maths extenion theyll probably be 2 classes of 30 at the LEAST
30 would be very large senior classes particularly as the award says 'need not exceed 24' for Years 11 and 12.

The amount of work involved in teaching an extension class is a lot more than that of a non-extension class - particularly in a class like history as the teacher has to do so much reading to be on top of new theories as well as to be able to guide the students on their projects so smaller class sizes are necessary.

Independent schools can set their own maximums and I do know of a couple of them that have a maximum of 6 in an extension class - and they will run two or three extension history classes. My school is too small for that.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A

How big is the Extension History class allowed to be? At most schools 15 would be the maximum, if not smaller for an Extension class. If it is 15 and 15 are in the class then the school can refuse you admittance on the basis of class full.

Extension courses are a little different to other subjects as they are more 'by invitation' based on performance not just on desire.

Get all the facts - like class size etc and then talk to the BOS - but don't go to the BOS if there are 15 in the class and the maximum size is 15 as the class is full and therefore no room.

I know students think 'what is one extra student?' but the teaching awards and union rules etc are legally binding on schools and maximum class sizes are just that - a maximum.

Not teaching in the state system I don't know what the maximum for an Extension class is. At my school it is about 8 but also a mimimum mark in the 2U course is also applied.
My 3 unit maths class had roughly 25 + people

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

The award says 24 for senior classes. Ext 1 Maths and English are seen as much the same as other ordinary senior classes as there is another level beyond that.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A

Yeah. My 4U class had 30-31 kids in it. But I guess, it was necessary given that 150 kids did 4U Maths.

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
english extension has 10-15 (2 or three classes of this), maths ext1 has like 100 kids (4-5 classes), eng ext 2 has 30 in one class (next year), maths ext2 has 80 (probably 2-3-4 for next year)
ALL of them except history accepted anyone who wanted to do it.

all i want to do is; tell them i dont want to take their advice and still go with the course and ill figure out my own way of fitting "so many units" together..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)