Not being accepted into an extension course (1 Viewer)

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
Re: Not being accepted into a extension course

The award says 24 for senior classes. Ext 1 Maths and English are seen as much the same as other ordinary senior classes as there is another level beyond that.
whats "the award"

twistedrebel

HSC

actually you cant be stopped doing any normal course, but you can be stopped do extension iirc board of studies rules.

xfudgex

HSC
N/A

actually you cant be stopped doing any normal course, but you can be stopped do extension iirc board of studies rules.
got any evidence? from website or anything?

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

whats "the award"
The award is the statement of working conditions agreed upon by an employer and employees. It doesn't only cover wage rates but also holidays, long service leave, sick leave, class sizes for teachers in teaching awards, extra responsibilities etc.

The public system award says senior classes 'need not exceed 24'. Independent schools will have them set school by school but will usually be the same or better than those in the state system.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A

got any evidence? from website or anything?
My understanding of this is that the BOS leaves it up to the schools because of the statements about how good a student needs to be to do an extension course. This comment is based on what I have been told by more senior staff at my school on this issue where they have told me that we can set minimum requirements for students to enter an extension course so even if one is running and it isn't full, if we refuse entry to a student it would have to be on the basis of provable inability to cope with the course.

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm quite sure a school cannot "stop" you from doing a course however they are allowed to advise you to not do the course.

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
again how sure are you?

At the begining of the year they are like people who get over 80% can get in. If i get over 80% and am rejected then do i have a valid complaint?

HSC
Uni Grad
again how sure are you?

At the begining of the year they are like people who get over 80% can get in. If i get over 80% and am rejected then do i have a valid complaint?
I think you do, just say whoever is in charge that you got over the bench mark for the extension course and you can obviously do the subject well. It happened to me last year. I wanted to do Advance and the two requirements was a high band 4 in the SC and 75% in the coursework mark in your report. I got about two marks off from a band 5 but my coursework wasn't there. But when I put in Advance they told me it was "too hard".

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I've seen it alot, just talk to your principle. I've seen students win a case like this quite afew times.

tearsdontfall

HSC
The rank, type of school, number of people accepted & number of people who tried out sounds suspiciously like Girra. Am I right?

xfudgex

HSC
N/A
Talked to principal, she said send her a letter and she will consider it.

What would be essential things to include in it?

Today I found out that I had beaten (in the yearly) at least one or two people who were accepted into hist ext.

I do not want to be antagonised by the history department, what would be my safest yet best way of telling the principal that I want to do it?

Last edited:

tutorsaustblog

HSC
Negotiate with your teachers for you try it out for a term, and then if they still don't think you should do it, then drop it. It's harder for them to remove you from the course then to give you a chance. This also gives you the opportunity to improve on you r writing skills and read plenty of sample past HSC answers.

Good Luck!

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
Hmm have you tried getting a recommendation from your current history teacher? Though that'd fail if you've just been bludging for the whole year lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)