not happy uws! (1 Viewer)

mishka

HSC
N/A
before you read, i apologise for my rant, but i know people who are in the same situation will feel exactly the same way as i do.

i'm not happy with uws. today i get a letter explaining that the B Ed (Primary) is not taking students next year as it will become a graduate course. 3 days off getting my results is just great.

uws bankstown was my 2nd preference, after ACU. i did the RET test (and did quite well) hoping that it would save me if i didn't happen to get the marks for ACU. what a waste of money.

uws has advised that the people who have placed this course as preference to select either B Arts or B Social Science, then after that degree is over, to do a postgraduate degree in education that will take another year ACCELERATED or 18 months full time.

now earlier this year i contacted uws to ask if this course would still run next year, because it was the only uws course i would be putting down and i wanted to know before i paid for the RET test. the answer assured me that the course was going to run. this is why i am annoyed.

so, now uws goes from 2nd preference to 6th or 7th. not happy uws! i feel as though i have been taken for a ride and have done the RET test under false pretences.
:mad:

mishka

HSC
N/A
hmmm, my dad reckons i should demand the fee for the test back. i think i might even have the email saved somewhere, to prove the point.

don't get me wrong, i was all for going to bankstown - and i thought my RET test had pretty much assured me a place at uni. but now i'm not so sure.

i think i'll wait and see what happens on friday and saturday, then make an action plan. :)

S

Shuter

Yes not happy UWS! I put down Business @ Penrith as my last preferance safety net, and I get a helpful letter a few days ago saying they will no longer be running this course and I should change my preferances to Cambelltown or something. Thank you for taking up one of my preferance spots where I could of put something more useful in there....

Well to hell with you anyway UWS, I should be able to get into a better uni, you were a last resort!

S

Shuter

natstar said:
um duh u can changeur preferences...no big deal
They do it at blacktown....its not like an extra 20 mins down the road is anything to have a cry about
Only to other UWS courses without penalty (I think?). THe only reason I put it down was because it was the closest course to me and also the lowest UAI I believe. I'm not going to travel an additional 40 minutes each day.

mishka

HSC
N/A
so you still get to do the same course??? you're lucky. B Ed (Primary) has been scrapped altogether. (as an undergrad course anyway).

GTR

HSC
If you want to study at UWS (and not many people want to...), then get used to the lax administration. Having too many campuses causes UWS administration to become highly uncoordinated at the best of times. Also funding cuts have had a field day with UWS courses.

Shuter, i suggest that wipe that UWS preference altogether, and put down another university.

= Jennifer =

HSC
it seems that there are alot of people that are affected by this change from UWS, did they state a reason why it was changing the study type

klh

HSC
Well technically, B Ed is still running but as a grad course only...so it is still running and not cancelled. Nah..i sympathise..I thought that B Ed Primary was popular so that it would be running still. Try and get a refund if you can or complain the hell out of them, at least you can get the anger out of your system. Hope you get good results!

Agree with GTR, they dont know nothing-i asked em about tute reg and they made me wait for 5 min to say they dont know yet, wait for the letters.

Skeeta

HSC
I HATE UWS

after te courses i initially wanted to do got cancelled... i mean CANCELLED (osteopathy and podiatry) i decided to agree with my mum and put freaking B Ed Primary down

which also gets cancelled

ITS A CONSPIRACY - THEY WANT TO MAKE MY LIFE HELL!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
skeeta they don't like you for some reason
So they took the test and If you find these hidden messages PM me. How long will it take?
contact them because it's slack if you paid for the test because they said it would run

GTR

HSC
Visit some UWS campuses. After you do this, you'll be glad that UWS has cancelled the courses you people stated on your preferences. :p

klh

HSC
god...sorry to Skeeta.

UWS is pretty good, but it depends on what you like at the campus. I like cambelltown because all the buildings are close and thus not having to run around alot. Penrith is more sparse. The campus's are bad, its just up to you.

mishka

HSC
N/A
yeah campbelltown is nice - i did my RET there and we've been there for uni tours and career stuff before.

i feel sorry for you skeeta, i really do. just think it's all happening for a reason... i'm just going to wait for saturday to assess whether i need to do some changing and swapping.

Skeeta

HSC
yeah i did the RET test, i dont think i'll get my money back... its gone to a land far far away..

the thing is i still havent actually recieved a letter or anything about osteopathy and podiatry being cancelled.. its only through their website that i have found out.. otherwise i'd still be in a false belief of that stupid uni actually having morals

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
They are cutting heaps of courses cause apparently due to government reforms or something. I think that they were moving 15 schools down to like 7 or something like that.

Btw, my course was cut after my first year ... so i know what its like.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Yeah i can still do it ... we were the last group to get in ... but now its called b of tourism maj natural resource management.

S

Shuter

GTR said:
Visit some UWS campuses. After you do this, you'll be glad that UWS has cancelled the courses you people stated on your preferences. :p
Already been to the werrington one a few times. Far too much walking for my liking.

michelleanne

HSC
Hi!

I have just finished by degree within the health science field and have been asked to tutor two subjects next year and there are going to be many changes next year.

The reason why podiatry and osteopathy have been cut is that the courses were going to cost more than what the government was going to give the uni to run them. That means they were going to run the courses in deficit- basically they were not making any money from it.

Next year, tutorial groups are going to undergoe a revamp. The numbers for individual tutorial groups are generally going to be doubled so that they can half the number of tutorials that they run.

The courses they are axing are the ones with low numbers. They are also trying to group courses together. Eg. Health Science was at Parra/Pen and Campbelltown. Health Sciences are now moving to Penrith to save money and only run the same units once not twice at different campus's. It makes more sense this way.

I have heard from uws staff that the uni is in a miserable financial situation and the reason why is that it runs many of the same courses at more then one campus which is extremely expensive.

However, other unis are also experiencing financial problems - many courses are being axed at other unis because of low numbers.

michelleanne

HSC
Skeeta,

Have you thought about doing a:

Bachelor of Health Science major in health promotion.... this is the course I have done and its fantastic.

Bachelor of Social Work or Occupational Therapy. I know social work is offered at UWS but I dont know about Occupational Therapy.

As far as teaching goes... complete a bachelor of arts or social Science and then apply for the bachelor of teaching. Any, electives that you, choose them from the COLLEGE OF ARTS, EDUCATION & SOCIAL SCIENCES... which will help you if you do apply for teaching.

I know that it must be frustrating that courses that you want to do are being axed but I reccomend UWS and the above courses are great.

Lauren

HSC
They did the same thing with some of the secondary teaching courses too. Arts/Teaching doesn't exist anymore and I really wish I had more notice than three days before my results came!!!!!! I had it all plannned with the RET test and everything. I asked about it at the Information Day and was given a really vague answer as well.
I completely intended on going to uni at Penrith but UWS have been so confusing and screwed around the courses all year I think I'll put somewhere more reliable first. My results were better than I thought too so I'm thinking of putting UNSW or MQ first now, and just get used to travelling.
I understand the cuts to the budget and financial situation and all that, I just think they couldn't have given everyone a little more notice. Everyone I know who was applying for thsoe courses is really pissed off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)