Not sure if I can do this (1 Viewer)

witide

HSC
If I'm doing a degree in Software Engineering, am I able to study a stream from another faculty and add an extra year onto my study? Say for example I wanted to do Modern Greek, could I just enrol into those subjects and study them along with my current program, even if they don't count for anything?

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
All units of study you do have to contribute to a degree. If you do units in surplus to the requirements of the degree, they are classed as Non-Award, and you will have to pay full-fee for them.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Can you do these diplomas concurrently with your degree or is it something completely different? For example at USyd:

Undergraduate Diploma Admission
An applicant must either:

a. have a UAI or equivalent (determined by the Faculty) of at least 80.00 and must be enrolled in a degree other than the BA at the University of Sydney, or any degree at another University, or

b. be a graduate of the University of Sydney (or equivalent).​

For eg, at UMelb, you can concurrently enrol in a Diploma of Languages (learn a language while you're doing your other main degree) or Diploma in Music (develop your music instrument skills or musicology knowledge). So when you graduate, you graduate with both your main degree and the diploma.

Last edited:

witide

HSC
All units of study you do have to contribute to a degree. If you do units in surplus to the requirements of the degree, they are classed as Non-Award, and you will have to pay full-fee for them.
Can they still be put on HECS?

In any case, that Diploma of Languages seems like it might be a good idea.

I'm currently enrolled at UNSW where I'm able to minor in Greek, however I'm having second thoughts about my degree and quite a few timetable clashes. I'm waiting for a late round offer from USyd now.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
No, non-award students are not eligible for FEE-HELP.

witide

HSC
Ok, well I guess I won't be doing that then :p

Anyway, I took another look at the handbook and discovered that Comp Sci & Tech is just as flexible as B Science. I've changed my preferences around so they now include:

1 511780 Bachelor of Engineering/Bachelor of Arts at University of Sydney
2 511796 Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology (Advanced) at University of Sydney
3 511795 Bachelor of Computer Science and Technology at University of Sydney
4 511756 B of Engineering /B Computer Sc & Tech/B Info Tech (Flexible First Year) at University of Sydney
5 512095 Bachelor of Science/Bachelor of Arts at University of Sydney
6 512040 Bachelor of Science at University of Sydney

I beat the UAI cutoff for the bottom 4, but I'm 2 below the Eng/Arts cutoff (and about 7 for the Advanced one lol). I think all of them have Vacancies still available though, so it looks like I might have a good chance of getting an offer. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

edit: I kinda responded to the wrong thread, but it was basically asking the same question.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Not eligible for those either (I'd already indicated non-award is full-fee). FEE-HELP is the loan scheme for full-fee payers.
Sorry, I was referring to the Dip course I mentioned above, which is an award course.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)