Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
ignore that

Undergraduate Orientation
Thursday 24th February 2005
9am to 3pm
Cumberland Campus

Parking and public transport (bus 915 from the south side of Lidcombe station to the campus).

Welcome to the Faculty of Health Sciences at the University of Sydney!
Orientation Day at Cumberland Campus has been designed to provide you with important information about our University, your study program and the CSG. By attending Orientation Day, you will gain invaluable knowledge about the services on the Cumberland Campus and your confidence will grow about starting your study program.

On behalf of everyone at Cumberland Campus we wish you every success and enjoyment with your academic studies.

Schedule
Commencing students are divided into groups, according to course. Join your group for the session.

Group 1 Courses Group 2 Courses
Sessions commence at 9.00am Sessions commence at 10.30am
Exercise & Sport Science/Nutrition
Health Information Management
Bach of Health Sciences / Bach of Oral Health
Hearing & Speech / Speech Pathology
Medical Radiation Sciences
Orthoptics
Aboriginal Health & Community Development
Behavioural Health Science
Leisure and Health
Occupational Therapy
Physiotherapy
Rehabilitation Counselling

9am - Group 1 / 10.30am - Group 2
Official Welcome by the Acting Dean, Professor Gwynnth Llewellyn
Intro to Support Services
IT Services
Library
Student Services
Student Administration
CSG
The Student Services, Student Administration and CSG provide academic and personal support services to all students enrolled on Cumberland Campus. This session introduces those services, and some staff of the sections.

9.45am - Group 1 / 11.15am - Group 2
Morning tea with the CSG (to be held in the courtyard) covers information about the Student Guild's services.

10.45am - Group 1 / 12.15pm - Group 2

School talks including: tour of School area.
You will have an opportunity to meet with the academic staff in your chosen School. The School talks include a tour of your teaching area and an opportunity to speak directly with staff connected with your study program.

12.45pm onwards

Student BBQ Lunch

Entertainment
(covering entire lunch period)
9.45am-3.00pm Clubs & Societies Stalls

After lunch activities include:

Health Sciences Library introduction - This session will review the library services available to you. These services will assist you to achieve your academic goals. You are encouraged to participate in either a guided tour, or a self-paced tour, of the Health Sciences Library. Tours will be offered every half hour from 12.00n to 2.00pm on Orientation Day. Gather at the Information Desk just inside the library's front door.

"What I wish I knew"
If you are not sure about what Uni life and study is all about, you can attend our information sessions for new students.

This information session will be offered at:
- 12.00n, 12.45pm and 1.45pm on the afternoon of Orientation Day (Thursday 24 February).

"What I Wish I Knew" Program

How the University works - handbooks, rules etc
What happens on the first day?
What is first year like?
Independent learning etc.
Timetables
IT and WebCT
Introduction to lectures
Introduction to assignments
Clinical placements

thats from the fhs website

alien

HSC
jam3s what you doing that's so important on o-day? i thought you said you were going to it.
i'm coming late cos i gotta go to the airport and say goodbye to my brother first :( gonna miss him

Leap

free falling
HSC
I went last year. Its a pretty boring day, but they do tell you some useful stuff, mainly just about timetables, handing in assessments, using the library etc. I guess most of that stuff you can figure out for yourself anyway, or find out from someone else.

But in the end I was glad I went because I met so many people that day, and it made the first few weeks at uni a lot easier because it meant I knew a bunch of people and always had someone to sit with in lectures etc, and now those people have become some of my best friends at uni.

Having said that, because you're at cumbo its pretty easy to make friends in tutorials anyway because you're with the same group of people for every tutorial.

Maybe you could just go for part of the day? It doesn't really take up the whole day.

nik_noodle

HSC
who from BOS is going? Anyone? I think only 2 ppl from my school are going to Cumbo, and noone that im going to see there :(
But i'm kinda looking foward to it...like you said...would be good to have someone to sit with first day or so :)

Love Nikki

keroppi_88

HSC
I'll be going. No one from my school is going to Cumbo so I'll be a loner. I'm hoping there will be many other loners so we can all group together or something. :p

mercury-chic

lol there will be plenty of loners. I have one friend from school going with me so I'm set. Unless we all hide behind bushes we'll make plenty of new friends. :)

keroppi_88

HSC
I thought it was pretty boring too. I only met a handful of people. Heaps of people seemed to know each other already.

Katie123

Clinical is OVER
HSC
yeah i walked around like a lost soul basically. talked to a few people and then they had to go to other subjects

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
I didn't mind the whole day overall. The CSG diary and card was a good thing to get and also the info about specific courses was handy too! But yeah, seemed a bit slow. I personally thought there were more societies, but oh well... :D

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
Yeah I wasn't really keen on signing up to any of them. It was just that after all the big deal about "JOIN THIS SOCIETY there are sooooo many clubs at Cumberland" etc, I was expecting to see heaps and be bombarded by tonnes of societies. Its all cool

keroppi_88

HSC
Where did you get the CSG diary from? I seemed to have missed out on that. Ah, well... I agree about the societies but oh well, I'm cool with that. :cool:

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
Yeah I think a few people missed out. It was above the bookshop. You had to walk up the ramp and there was like a little admin place. In there, they gave out bags with your personalised card and a Diary with the rewards system terms and conditions information.

Skeeta

HSC
i went today.. it was ok - lunch was nice and woohoo free fairy floss.. that was the highlight of my day other than meetin ppl that do my course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)