Odd Integration Proof (1 Viewer)

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
So, as most Ext 2 students know, the last part of Integration involves proving the odd and even definite function proofs.
So for the odd proof (<s>I'll just do it below </s>, its completely wrong don't follow)
<s>

Then I get stuck here.

</s>

I've done it before but I still can't wrap my head around the concept of the dummy variable of x.

If the area is bound by a curve that uses the value of x i.e. f(x), why would it be the same thing as using a variable of f(u)?

Last edited:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
I've realised I messed up my working out, but I guess that's not that important. I can get to the splitting part, and I think a better way is to convert one of them into a negative value which makes it = 0.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
So, as most Ext 2 students know, the last part of Integration involves proving the odd and even definite function proofs.
So for the odd proof (I'll just do it below)

Then I get stuck here.

I've done it before but I still can't wrap my head around the concept of the dummy variable of x.

If the area is bound by a curve that uses the value of x i.e. f(x), why would it be the same thing as using a variable of f(u)?
One way to think of it is that integral from x = 0 to x = a of f(x) dx is the (signed) area under the graph of y = f(x).

The integral from u = 0 to u = a of f(u) du is the signed area under the graph of y = f(u).

These two graphs are the same, since they have the same equation and bounds; the graph of say y = sin(x) between x = 0 and pi looks exactly the same as the graph of y = sin(u) between u = 0 and u = pi. In other words, the name given to the independent variable of course doesn't change the graph shape, the only thing affecting this is the function itself, which is exactly the same in both cases, with same bounds.

Since the graphs are identical and the bounds are identical, the areas in question (and hence the integrals) are identical.

Last edited:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
One way to think of it is that integral from x = 0 to x = a of f(x) dx is the (signed) area under the graph of y = f(x).

The integral from u = 0 to u = a of f(u) du is the signed area under the graph of y = f(u).

These two graphs are the same, since they have the same equation and bounds; the graph of say y = sin(x) between x = 0 and pi looks exactly the same as the graph of y = sin(u) between u = 0 and u = pi. In other words, the name given to the independent variable of course doesn't change the graph shape, the only thing affecting this is the function itself, which is exactly the same in both cases, with same bounds.

Since the graphs are identical and the bounds are identical, the areas in question (and hence the integrals) are identical.
Does this work the same way with the identity of def int f(x) = def int f(a-x)?

The a-x and x are essentially the same, as they give the area stays exactly the same.

But how does that work when say, changing the a variable to a value that makes the area, inspected visually, far smaller than the original graph?

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Last edited:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Yes that dummy variables idea is used there too.

You may also want to see this thread and the post by Carrotsticks: http://community.boredofstudies.org...ion-2/342339/dummy-variables.html#post7030860 .
I see.

I understand that any variable can be the same, provided the boundaries are also met.

In the respect of in particularly A( f(a-x) ) = A( f(x) ), how does that work then? I understand the shape of the function never changes unless a different function is used, however the Area does fluctuate. Using y = x^3 as an example, the area from 0 to 2 in y = x^3, does not equal the area between to 0 to 2 in y = 2 - x^3.

Does this mean that the boundaries differ based on the values of a? Or do they remain the same?

Last edited:

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
<s> Would a viable explanation be that, with every change in the x, i.e. the movement caused by the a and negative, the boundaries are changed? However despite their change they are still essentially the same boundaries. Similarly to how the area between 0 to 2 in x^3 would be the same as 4 to 2 in 2 - x^3.

But if the integrals are listed with the same boundaries, how does this work? </s>

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
I see.

In the respect of in particularly A( f(a-x) ) = A( f(x) ), how does that work then? I understand the shape of the function never changes unless a different function is used, however the Area does fluctuate. Using y = x^3 as an example, the area from 0 to 2 in y = x^3, does not equal the area between to 0 to 2 in y = 2 - x^3.

Does this mean that the boundaries differ based on the values of a? Or do they remain the same?

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Would a viable explanation be that, with every change in the x, i.e. the movement caused by the a and negative, the boundaries are changed? However despite their change they are still essentially the same boundaries. Similarly to how the area between 0 to 2 in x^3 would be the same as 4 to 2 in 2 - x^3.

But if the integrals are listed with the same boundaries, how does this work?

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
Ah my bad, a better example of what I was thinking would be f(3-x). i.e. y = (3-x)^3

So are visual sketches completely thrown out the window when considering such areas? I now understand the algebraic proof, but my doubts still preside when the two graphs are seen visually, and their areas.

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Ah my bad, a better example of what I was thinking would be f(3-x). i.e. y = (3-x)^3

So are visual sketches completely thrown out the window when considering such areas? I now understand the algebraic proof, but my doubts still preside when the two graphs are seen visually, and their areas.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i think it might be better that instead of saying "switch variables u with x"

to say "let u = x" and pretend it's a substitution

you'll probably find yourself unconfused by the end of that exercise

ProdigyInspired

Tafe Advocate
HSC
i think it might be better that instead of saying "switch variables u with x"

to say "let u = x" and pretend it's a substitution

you'll probably find yourself unconfused by the end of that exercise
that would probably make myself more confused since I had already subbed u = -x

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)