Official: 2012 Modern History HSC Exam predictions thread (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Feel free to post your predictions on what questions will be asked on the Modern History Exam for this year. If you have a prediction, dont forget to mention the section and topic. If other threads pop up on this topic, I will most likely move the posts in here, so if your thread goes missing the posts will have probably ended up here.

D94

HSC
N/A
Conflict in Europe:

- dictatorships in Germany and Italy: 2006
– the League of Nations and collapse of collective security: Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War: 2011
– Britain, France and the policy of appeasement: an assessment: 2009
– significance of the Nazi–Soviet Non-Aggression Pact: 2008

German advances: the fall of Poland, the Low Countries and France
– the air war and its effects: The Battle of Britain and the Blitz, the bombing of Germany: 2008
– Operation Barbarossa, the Battle of Stalingrad and the significance of the Russian campaign: 2010, 2007
– Battle of El Alamein and the significance of the conflict in North Africa to the European War: 2009

– social and economic effects of the war on civilians in Britain and EITHER Germany OR the Soviet Union: 2007
– Nazi racial policies: the Holocaust and the persecution of minorities: 2010

– ‘D’ Day and the liberation of France: 2011
– Russian counter offensives 1944: 2006
final defeat 1944–1945
Nuremburg War Crimes trials

So given what has already been covered, I'd say there would be a question on the German Advances and the "final defeat".

enoilgam

HSC
So given what has already been covered, I'd say there would be a question on the German Advances and the "final defeat".
Its difficult to imagine what they would come up with for these two points, especially the German advances. Maybe for the final defeat they could ask "Evaluate the factors which led to the final defeat of Germany in 1945" (to be honest, I dont know if this would be allowed as a question, as it is very broad). I cant think of anything for German advances. I guess they could also ask something on the Nuremburg trials, but again, I'm hard pressed to think of what they could ask (maybe something like "To what extent did the Nuremburg trials achieve Justice in relation to war crimes", but that sounds more like something they would ask in Legal Studies).

Personally, I think they will go with another question on Russian counteroffensives and civilians. In addition to those and the ones mentioned above, I think something on dictatorships and maybe the air war is a possibility.

D94

HSC
N/A
The edits didn't show, but I intended to add that the topics covered in 2006/2007 might be reused for this year.

But possibly for the German Advances topic, a question along the lines of "to what extent did the German Advances cause Britain to declare war on Germany". So there are the immediate factors and long term factors which could be discussed there.

I actually think there could be a good deal of discussion in the final defeat, but it would really specific discussion on Operations like the Battle of the Bulge, so I think there are two extremes - really broad or really specific. But I think all MH students doing Conflict in Europe should know the Battle of the Bulge, so a question along the lines of "evaluate the effectiveness of major allied operations leading to the final defeat".

But again, I reckon earlier covered topics would probably be reused.

enoilgam

HSC
The edits didn't show, but I intended to add that the topics covered in 2006/2007 might be reused for this year.

But possibly for the German Advances topic, a question along the lines of "to what extent did the German Advances cause Britain to declare war on Germany". So there are the immediate factors and long term factors which could be discussed there.

I actually think there could be a good deal of discussion in the final defeat, but it would really specific discussion on Operations like the Battle of the Bulge, so I think there are two extremes - really broad or really specific. But I think all MH students doing Conflict in Europe should know the Battle of the Bulge, so a question along the lines of "evaluate the effectiveness of major allied operations leading to the final defeat".

But again, I reckon earlier covered topics would probably be reused.
Its becoming much harder to predict with modern - last year it was quite easy though (most BoSers picked what would come up for Germany and Conflict in Europe).

Kieran95

HSC
My teacher says he has seen questions before asking "Assess the success of the German advances at the beginning of WWII", but personally i would hate this question and i really hope they re-use past questions.

For Conflict though, i think either 'The dictators', 'Barbarossa', or 'Russian counter-offensives' will be used this year (surely there is no chance they can ask Nuremburg Trials).

For Germany, i'm thinking something like 'To what extent did the Great Depression contribute to the fall of the Weimar Republic' (i think this is the only section of the syllabus for Weimar that has yet to be covered).

tigerian

HSC
N/A
as a teacher I have been saying to my students that foreign policy is due as it hasnt been asked for a while but its all guesswork . I do think foreign policy is a good strong possibility

Turra

HSC
as a teacher I have been saying to my students that foreign policy is due as it hasnt been asked for a while but its all guesswork . I do think foreign policy is a good strong possibility
Is this only for Germany? How about USA (national) and Indo-China(conflict)?

enoilgam

HSC
My teacher says he has seen questions before asking "Assess the success of the German advances at the beginning of WWII", but personally i would hate this question and i really hope they re-use past questions.
I actually think this could be a possibility - it would be quite a difficult question, but there is enough there for quite an interesting discussion.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
whatever they ask for the Nations question (Germany, Russia etc) it will be the same . eg if foreign policy is asked it will be applicable to them all

stattam

HSC
One of our trial questions was "Account for the intial successes of the German military forces" or something like that. I think that is likely to be a question and yeah the other could be on russian counteroffensives and final defeat or possibly nuremburg. They always seem to do one war/battle question and one on civilians or causes so Nuremburg might be the second question (as hard as it would be)

Kieran95

HSC
One of our trial questions was "Account for the intial successes of the German military forces" or something like that. I think that is likely to be a question and yeah the other could be on russian counteroffensives and final defeat or possibly nuremburg. They always seem to do one war/battle question and one on civilians or causes so Nuremburg might be the second question (as hard as it would be)
IMO Nuremburg is 0% chance.

Bored_of_HSC

HSC
I'm hard pressed to think of what they could ask (maybe something like "To what extent did the Nuremburg trials achieve Justice in relation to war crimes", but that sounds more like something they would ask in Legal Studies).
And it delves quite a bit in "Nazi racial policy", which was assessed quite recently (2010)

kiwigirl159

HSC
Option C: Germany 1918–1939

1 Weimar Republic
– emergence of the Democratic Republic and the (impact of the Treaty of Versailles - 2011)
– political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929
– collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933 - 2008, 2009
– impact of the Great Depression on Germany

2 The rise of the Nazi Party
– rise of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) from 1923 - 2009
– Hitler’s accession to power
– initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934 - 2011

3 Nazism in power
– Hitler’s role in the Nazi state - 2010
– Nazism as totalitarianism - 2008
– (the role of propaganda, terror and repression - 2009); SA and SS; opposition to Nazism
– social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion - 2007
– Nazi racial policy; anti-Semitism: policy and practice to 1939 - 2006

4 Nazi foreign policy
– nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939 - 2007
– impact of ideology on Nazi foreign policy to September 1939

You guys can draw your own conclusions from this :)

enoilgam

HSC
I reckon the Great Depression is extremely likely, maybe something like "To what extent was The Great Depression responsible for the collapse of the Weimar republic". I think political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929 could also come up. Could be something to the effect of "Discuss the key issues faced by the Weimar Republic during the period up until 1929".

Something could also come up on this point: social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion

inJust

HSC
Usually for Germany, it's 1 question on Weimar and the other one on Nazis/Hitler right?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)