Official: 2013 Modern History HSC Exam predictions thread (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Feel free to post your predictions on what questions will be asked on the Modern History Exam for this year. If you have a prediction, dont forget to mention the section and topic. If other threads pop up on this topic, I will most likely move the posts in here, so if your thread goes missing the posts will have probably ended up here.

gleeek

HSC
Russia national study: Power struggle or impact of Stalinism/Stalinism as totalitarianism

Conflict in Europe: Outbreak of war question (appeasement, nazi-soviet non- aggression pact, League of nations?) or airwar

Smile12345

HSC
Russia national study: Power struggle or impact of Stalinism/Stalinism as totalitarianism

Conflict in Europe: Outbreak of war question (appeasement, nazi-soviet non- aggression pact, League of nations?) or airwar
Like that quote of Robert Frost's.!! :)

enoilgam

HSC
How fail of me, I didnt notice the thread already created on this today. Here are the posts from that thread:

For conflict in Europe and the Russian national study, what are your predictions for the 2013 exam?

Me personally, I think for Conflict there will be a pre-war tensions question as to the outbreak of war, or possibly a turning point question.

What are your thoughts people, lets try crack this (jks)
Russia; I'm hoping for power struggle between Trotsky and Stalin or Soviet state under Stalin to be one of the options.

Conflict in Europe; may be something from End of Conflict
I was thinking the same or Russia

Conflict I doubt it will be the end of the conflict because it was asked in 2011 and they most likely wouldn't repeat it

Outbreak of war hasn't been asked in 3 years nor have turning points really

enoilgam

HSC
Conflict in Europe:

- dictatorships in Germany and Italy: 2006
– the League of Nations and collapse of collective security: Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War: 2011
– Britain, France and the policy of appeasement: an assessment: 2009
– significance of the Nazi–Soviet Non-Aggression Pact: 2008

– German advances: the fall of Poland, the Low Countries and France
– the air war and its effects: The Battle of Britain and the Blitz, the bombing of Germany: 2008
– Operation Barbarossa, the Battle of Stalingrad and the significance of the Russian campaign: 2010, 2007
– Battle of El Alamein and the significance of the conflict in North Africa to the European War: 2009

– social and economic effects of the war on civilians in Britain and EITHER Germany OR the Soviet Union: 2007, 2012
– Nazi racial policies: the Holocaust and the persecution of minorities: 2010

– ‘D’ Day and the liberation of France: 2011
– Russian counter offensives 1944: 2006
– final defeat 1944–1945
– Nuremburg War Crimes trials

This is a list of the syllabus dot points and which questions have been asked to date (thanks to D94 for composing this list). I'm thinking that they could ask a specific question on the Russian Counter Offensives or a general question on the Final Defeat (i.e. Assess the factors leading to the final defeat of Germany in 1945). A similar general question could also pop up for the causes of the war.

gleeek

HSC
Conflict in Europe:

- dictatorships in Germany and Italy: 2006
– the League of Nations and collapse of collective security: Abyssinia, the Spanish Civil War: 2011
– Britain, France and the policy of appeasement: an assessment: 2009
– significance of the Nazi–Soviet Non-Aggression Pact: 2008

– German advances: the fall of Poland, the Low Countries and France
– the air war and its effects: The Battle of Britain and the Blitz, the bombing of Germany: 2008
– Operation Barbarossa, the Battle of Stalingrad and the significance of the Russian campaign: 2010, 2007
– Battle of El Alamein and the significance of the conflict in North Africa to the European War: 2009

– social and economic effects of the war on civilians in Britain and EITHER Germany OR the Soviet Union: 2007, 2012
– Nazi racial policies: the Holocaust and the persecution of minorities: 2010

– ‘D’ Day and the liberation of France: 2011
– Russian counter offensives 1944: 2006
– final defeat 1944–1945
– Nuremburg War Crimes trials

This is a list of the syllabus dot points and which questions have been asked to date (thanks to D94 for composing this list). I'm thinking that they could ask a specific question on the Russian Counter Offensives or a general question on the Final Defeat (i.e. Assess the factors leading to the final defeat of Germany in 1945). A similar general question could also pop up for the causes of the war.
If we were to get such a general question/s would it be like a discussion on the different/potential causes/factors or would be focus on one?

gleeek

HSC
And is there enough on Russian-counter offensives to ask a question entirely on that?

enoilgam

HSC
And wouldn't the 2006 Russia question constitute the Russian campaign as well?
I guess it's more of a combination of the two points. I think that they could go with something like "to what extent did the Russian Counteroffensives contributed to the final defeat of Germany"

enoilgam

HSC
If we were to get such a general question/s would it be like a discussion on the different/potential causes/factors or would be focus on one?
It would be a discussion on them all - but to be honest, I'm not sure that they would go with something so broad.

jpham0011

HSC
Indochina: the past year the question seemed to go back directly to syllabus dot points so I think there might be a repeat. Also, especially because there was a Khmer Rouge Q last year and no Cambodia after 1975 Q's since like 2004, I predict something on the Khmer Rouge's impact on Cambodia

RafH

HSC
Uni Grad
Essay Question for 2013 HSC

I'm hoping we get Stalinism as Totalitarianism for Russia
and For Indochina, I think there will be a question about Cambodia

Last edited:

Candidate

HSC
I feel the CSSA paper purposely regurgitated the 2010 USA essay question on consumerism because it could be asked this year for the HSC. I really hope so. I am also PRAYING the Indochina q is on Pol Pot. I might die if it isn't. Modern was my strongest subject in the trials, yet ironically the one I hate most. I am dreading having to practice essays for it, which I am starting tomorrow once I refine my USA foreign policy notes. I just hate writing essays for questions which are never asked…

I don't really care for the personality question, since the questions are, to an extent, the same each year.

nojess

HSC
I don't really care for the personality question, since the questions are, to an extent, the same each year.
I'm pretty worried about the personality question. Some of the past questions I've seen really require some creative thinking to make it relevant to your personality. That being said, modern is one of my weakest subjects so I'm pretty worried about the entire paper..

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Some advice about the personality question:

1. Answer the question asked - surprising comment but I have read 100s of personality questions where the student has decided to go in with a prepared answer and ignored the actual question.

2. Don't get so hung up on historiography that you don't relate your response to the question.

3. If you have a quote and have to link quote to question in Part B make sure you do deal with quote, question and the link - too many students have ignored either the quote or the question over the years.

4. Know your syllabus for Part A and limit your answer to what is asked - in other words if asked about 'rise to prominence' don't spend a lot of time on their after reaching a prominent position

5. Keep in relevant.

6. A Note for ALL modern questions - watch that you don't write outside the lined spaces as there is NO guarantee that stuff outside those lines will be scanned and especially that relates to the side of the page that says 'DO NOT WRITE HERE'. All of Modern will be scanned and on screened marked this year.

D94

HSC
N/A
2011 was the first year they did not have a quote, and not provide a biography (more or less). Whilst I'm certain most of us weren't caught out in terms of being able to answer the question, it was definitely not expected.

While they may seem strikingly similar, they are still asking for different things. If you answer the question as if it were pre-2011, then you would not do as well as you would have. The 2012 paper is a continuation of the 2011 style, so I would hazard a guess and say the 2013 paper will be similar.

The personalities section is also the section where it would be hard to have a pre-made answer for part b since they can ask you anything and not be consistent with a specific dot point. All other sections tend to follow a specific dot point making it easier to prepare answers and adapt to the question.

Don't dismiss it as a section which requires no effort - it is still worth 25% of the exam. If you stuff that up, don't expect a good mark.

JT145

ON is my homeboy
HSC
Super worried for Modern as I'm worried I'll do better in the trials than in the actual HSC

enoilgam

HSC
Option C: Germany 1918–1939

1 Weimar Republic
– Emergence of the Democratic Republic and the (impact of the Treaty of Versailles - 2011)
– Political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929
– Collapse of the Weimar Republic 1929–1933 - 2008, 2009
– Impact of the Great Depression on Germany

2 The rise of the Nazi Party
– Rise of the Nazi Party (NSDAP) from 1923 - 2009
– Hitler’s accession to power
– Initial consolidation of Nazi power 1933–1934 - 2011

3 Nazism in power
– Hitler’s role in the Nazi state - 2010
– Nazism as totalitarianism - 2008
– The role of propaganda, terror and repression. SA and SS; opposition to Nazism 2009 2012
– Social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion - 2007
– Nazi racial policy; anti-Semitism: policy and practice to 1939 - 2006

4 Nazi foreign policy
– Nature of Nazi foreign policy: aims and strategies to September 1939 - 2007 2012
– Impact of ideology on Nazi foreign policy to September 1939
This may help for Germany (I updated it as well).

Last edited:

enoilgam

HSC
Having a look at that list, I'd say political, economic and social issues in the Weimar Republic to 1929 are likely to come up. It could be something like "Discuss the key issues faced by the Weimar Republic during the period up until 1929". I'm thinking that the Great Depression could also come up, maybe something like "To what extent was The Great Depression responsible for the collapse of the Weimar republic". The wildcard could be something on social and cultural life in the Nazi state: role of Hitler Youth, women, religion

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
I just hope they dedicate one question for Weimer Germany and not throw a curve ball like last year.

Also for those that do Cold War, I highly doubt that there will be a question on Detente.

with 15 days out from the start of the HSC, Modern history is definitely my strongest subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)