ok is this a jib? (1 Viewer)

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
i got a full time roll as a junior it technician/help desk.... i browsed online and the average salary is btwn 32-37k for 1st years but that doesnt include 'junior' and 'still studying'
they reckon 21k(+super) is the average.
i just calculated this... that is $10.09 an hour for 8 hours work (30mins lunch not included) in a full time job.

urm... is that crap? i could earn more at maccas

some help im not skilled in negotiating salary...

oh and anyone know any salary rates websites?

Last edited:

Skeeta

HSC
did you take out four weeks for holidays?

i worked it out to be around $17

ok i realised you are talking about junior salary of $21 K??

Last edited:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
i rather be full time unemployed rather than paid at 21k a yr LOL

kow_dude

HSC
anita_wax said:
urm... is that crap? i could earn more at maccas

some help im not skilled in negotiating salary...

oh and anyone know any salary rates websites?
Personally, i would stay at the work desk as it is more professional and technical based than maccas. In future interviews, you can talk about the analytical skills and technical skills (and so on) that you have developed as a junior technician. However, if money is more of importance at this present time, then go for maccas.

When it comes to negotiating for a pay rise, i think it's important to tell your employer why you deserve it. Maybe because work load has been increasing and you have been providing increasing service? Perhaps you have been an asset to other service departments? Have you been asked to perform tasks that are outside your prescribed duties (eg. cleaning)?

kalli

HSC
hmmmmm $10 an hour?

I was on $31 700 (pro rata) doing tech support for Bigpond. Worked out at about $16 an hour... I was a 2nd year IT uni student with no other IT qualifications or experience. I also didn't get penalty rates for weekends and night shifts.

However, your position is for a "Junior" so I would say about $25k is right. $20k really is not much - as other ppl have said, if its the money you're after go to maccas.

Tech support is a great foot-in-the-door for the IT industry where experience is more valuable than degress.

Interested in IT? Take the job and live at home for a year to save money. After a year, negotiate a pay rise to at least $30k plus super.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)