Only Chemistry Students (1 Viewer)

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
I'm deciding whether or not to do Chemistry. If I choose Chemistry, I will be behind on a lot of work, but I enjoy science and go well at my other science subjects (Physics and Biology). I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and what would you recommend (if you at least study / have studied Chemistry).

beentherdunthat

HSC
Mind-Revolution said:
I'm deciding whether or not to do Chemistry. If I choose Chemistry, I will be behind on a lot of work, but I enjoy science and go well at my other science subjects (Physics and Biology). I'm just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation, and what would you recommend (if you at least study / have studied Chemistry).
If you like BIO, you'll definitely like Chemistry. Chem is simple, much simpler then physics but harder then bio. If you really like your sciences then go for it, it's a cool subject !!!
What are your subjects?

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
If you like BIO, you'll definitely like Chemistry. Chem is simple, much simpler then physics but harder then bio. If you really like your sciences then go for it, it's a cool subject !!!
What are your subjects?
Thank you for your reply. So, is Chemistry more math based than Biology, but less math based than Physics, and less content that Biology and Physics, or?

My subjects are Advanced English, General Mathematics, Physics, Biology, and Information Processes And Technology. I'm just wondering to fill that hole in my timetable. :)

Test8

HSC
yea, i do all three (bio phys chem) and basically finished the syllabus for all of them by now. i would have to rate chem as the most boring of all three, and i personally find it the hardest (though it may be because i find it is now boring)

chem starts off interesting, but once you get right into the yr12 syllabus it becomes quite repetative and boring and a lil dull to learn.

in the end its your choice, and chem is probably required for more uni courses than the other two sciences, though from experiencing all three i feel that youve gone with the two better ones

beentherdunthat

HSC
Mind-Revolution said:
Thank you for your reply. So, is Chemistry more math based than Biology, but less math based than Physics, and less content that Biology and Physics, or?
:wave: lol, Biology is just punnet squares and such. Simple stuff. All it requires is memorizing. Chem is a little more maths. Working out the number of moles, and states of elements etc. Molar heat of combustion as well. But all this is pretty simple. The formulaes you'll get used to in no time. Chem is a good scaler as well ;) but that's just an added bonus.

Physics is a little bugger. Takes more to the maths side of things, but as well a lot of it is theory. I think if you're not havin much problems with physics then stick with it.

Mind-Revolution said:
My subjects are Advanced English, General Mathematics, Physics, Biology, and Information Processes And Technology. I'm just wondering to fill that hole in my timetable. :)
lol, hmm, are you any good at maths??? 2unit is a good subject, as well as 3unit. But if you prefer the sciences, then chem is def. your thing ;)

Test8 said:
i would have to rate chem as the most boring of all three, and i personally find it the hardest (though it may be because i find it is now boring)

chem starts off interesting, but once you get right into the yr12 syllabus it becomes quite repetative and boring and a lil dull to learn.
But I would rate it the most interesting of the three ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
:wave: lol, Biology is just punnet squares and such. Simple stuff. All it requires is memorizing. Chem is a little more maths. Working out the number of moles, and states of elements etc. Molar heat of combustion as well. But all this is pretty simple. The formulaes you'll get used to in no time. Chem is a good scaler as well ;) but that's just an added bonus.

Physics is a little bugger. Takes more to the maths side of things, but as well a lot of it is theory. I think if you're not havin much problems with physics then stick with it.

lol, hmm, are you any good at maths??? 2unit is a good subject, as well as 3unit. But if you prefer the sciences, then chem is def. your thing ;)
Yeah, I am (90%+ in everything so far, but it is way easy). Teachers have said to move up, but it is so boring, and would prefer a better subject, hmm like Chemistry?

By the way, your subjects beentherdunthat?

beentherdunthat

HSC
Mind-Revolution said:
Yeah, I am (90%+ in everything so far, but it is way easy). Teachers have said to move up, but it is so boring, and would prefer a better subject, hmm like Chemistry?

By the way, your subjects beentherdunthat?
I say go for chem then. My friends are doing chem, phys, bio,2unit maths, and eng.adv. - Same thing. They've coped pretty well! and their ranks are pretty good.

2unit, 3unit, 4unit Maths
Chemistry
Biology
Advanced english

I used to do physics + legal but I dropped them. 4unit and physics is too much 'motion' for me ;) hehe.

Test8

HSC
beentherdunthat said:
But I would rate it the most interesting of the three ;)
dunno about the most interesting, i would vote physics way more interesting, and bio too.

testing for cations and anions present in water is probably the most drawn out, repetitive and boring thing ever done in a science, and learnign how to make soaps.......not so useful, relevant or interesting in my opinion. (if your forced to do industrial).

chemistry is about learning one small thing, and dwelling on it for as long as you possibly can (many weeks)

my recommendation is stick with physics and bio, and go up to a more useful maths (2u, 3u if possible or if you can) so you wont have to do a bridging course when you go to do a science (if you are) at uni.

Mind-Revolution

Nothing Else Matters...
HSC
N/A
beentherdunthat said:
I say go for chem then. My friends are doing chem, phys, bio,2unit maths, and eng.adv. - Same thing. They've coped pretty well! and their ranks are pretty good.

Chemistry
Biology
Advanced english

I used to do physics + legal but I dropped them. 4unit and physics is too much 'motion' for me ;) hehe.
Ha, so true, I've looked at projectile motion early, and it = most boring thing ever.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Test8 said:
dunno about the most interesting, i would vote physics way more interesting, and bio too.

testing for cations and anions present in water is probably the most drawn out, repetitive and boring thing ever done in a science, and learnign how to make soaps.......not so useful, relevant or interesting in my opinion. (if your forced to do industrial)
lol that's Chemical monitoring and management ;) ...
I hate that test as well.. but it took me literally 5-10 minutes to get everything right, it's pretty simple, though it innitially looks scary.

Test8 said:
my recommendation is stick with physics and bio, and go up to a more useful maths (2u, 3u if possible or if you can) so you wont have to do a bridging course when you go to do a science (if you are) at uni.
Well he said he doesn't like projectile motion so it's def. not 3unit :p

Chem is a good subject!!! I think you just don't like it!!! ... lol, its fun as well. Chem exp's are cool !

2unit is a good subject though. Easy to get 90+

Test8

HSC
yea i dont hate chem that much, all up it is commonly needed in many uni courses, but i just feel the others are more interesting and dont waste as much time dwelling on little things as chem does.

in the end its your choice, but i have done all three and can assure you that physics improves (no projectile motion in the yr12 course) and bio also improves, while as with chemistry youll find that the most useful topics (polar molecules, molar ratios and calculations etc) are all completed in yr11, and leaves the yr12 chem course with not much useful.

if your not up for 4u 3u maths i would definately go 2u. as someone who seems to like your sciences (thinking of doing all 3, like me), i assume that you would probably head into a science field at uni, and most science fields at uni require 2u maths (general is not recognised as a qualification at uni).

hence i would rate 2u as more vital than chem (assuming above), though if you do choose chem, chem is still teaches some very useful concepts

nice

HSC
Mind-Revolution said:

Chemistry is all about understanding the concept and fits in all of teh sciences subjects not just is it hard or not if ur good at underdtanding into deep concepts and formaulas like maths then ull be alright.. if you want to study science at uni then you should ahve a fair knowlege of chemsitry plus other science subjects.. but given that i know pple in my uni yr they never studied chemsitry and failed the first sem.. but given tht u have a oppurntiy then i think u should go about doing at it..+ chemsitry scales good with ur uai so i thnik ull be alright since u like since

best of luck:)

SoulSearcher

Entangled in the fabric of space-time ...
HSC
beentherdunthat said:

Chemistry
Biology
Advanced english

Yeah, there's a lot of 'motion' involved there ;)

Martyno1

oh hi
HSC
Chemistry is probably my favourite subject after Maths. I'd tell you to do it, but I'm biased, haha. They say it's meant to be the hardest science subject out of the three (physics, bio, chem), and apparently it scales the best out of them too.

ordnaiv

Ethereal
HSC
I only do bio and chem but enjoy them both. Bio has a lot of theory and content - memorising facts, definitions and so forth but chem needs more understanding and patience as it can get quite monotonous/dull.

Year 11 sets up the basis you will need for the HSC. In Year 11 u will learn most of the theory, formulas and calculations and by the time ur in Year 12 - its just application.

Year 12 Chem focuses alot on industry, production, manufacturing, social impacts, environmental impacts such as batteries, plastics, ethanol, acids/bases, ammonia production, CFC's/ozone, analyzing composition of substances, water purification are the main things u will learn about.

Anyways, just try it and see what u think...

P.S. it also helps if u have a really good teacher!

nadine06

HSC
i do chem and bio aswell

i would have to say that bio is more interesting in yr 12 and i find it easier to understand generally and the exams i find are more predictable then chem

chem is ok but it can get a bit when the hell am i ever going to need info on ozone, ethanol, water hardness, davy....etc?????????/

if ur good at chem then do it, once u understand the concepts inside out it wont take up much of ur time

btw dont think u have to do 3u or 2u maths, i do them but have never found them to help in bio or chem

thats my 2 cents

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
yeah beentherdunthat is right - of my friends who did chem , physics and bio , quite a few dropped physics , because they enjoyed the other two more.

lmao i think chem`s pretty challenging , but as long as you put in the effort , it`s actually really interesting.

oh , and i see you`re doing chem , physics & bio :p : you`ll find out which one`s you like the most in the end !

oh and by the way , i hate physics :eek:

Chinmoku03

Ippen, Shin de Miru?
HSC
To me, the most important word in chem is prolly electrons. I do phys as well, and it's more mathematical than chem IMO. I've heard bio is full on remember definitions etc, so chem prolly slides in between the 2. Chem's a lil boring for me, I guess, seeing as it always seems to come down to electrons. Altho if you have an ok teacher, he can make it interesting enough, I think.

Chem is like assumed knowledge in most uni sci courses, so if you're planning on doing that for uni, it might also be a good idea to do chem then.

Either way, good luck ^.^

wrxsti

Rambo
HSC
Chemistry = VERY VERY INTERESTING / FUN
Physics = Pretty boring for me................ although...... half of space module is interesting.
Biology = Never done it....... but my friends go if you can memorise its the subject for you..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)