Op shopping it (1 Viewer)

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
Ok, so I've heard quite a few people around here are into the op shops...share your stories!
I really want to get into it (cheap clothes, hell yes!) but my friends are snobs, and won't come with me, and I don't have the balls to go alone...so I'll live vicariously through you guys!

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
Oh my god, I LOVE op-shopping.
Never op-shop for jeans cos they never have any nice ones, and it should go without saying that buying second hand undies is a no-no, but apart from that I buy almost everything from op-shops!

I love crazy retro dresses at the moment, and op-shops are the place to go for those!
My favourite would have to be this black and white op-art dress I bought a few months ago. I adjusted the neckline (it's good to be able to sew, some op-shop items need a few alterations before they're cool) and it's so great!
Plus crazy jackets, things that have gone out of style and aren't available in stores and stuff are all good... like polka-dotted stockings.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
theres been heaps of threads on this stuff, and i'll say it again, the stink brings tears to my eyes. Having said that, i love second hand cheap crap! I'd love to be able to find a good op shop, not like the derro things we have around here in camden.

philly17

I love op shops esp vinnies nad salvos great bags, jewerally, jumpers, trench coats, jackets and shoes. So many complement all my items i get from op shops cose i try to look differnt mixing this with that and its so funny i'm like yeah i paid $3 for that.

*~Dazed~*

fuck a duck
HSC
hipsta_jess said:
I really want to get into it (cheap clothes, hell yes!) but my friends are snobs, and won't come with me, and I don't have the balls to go alone...so I'll live vicariously through you guys!
haha anyone else see the hilarity?

sorry jess.

spin spin sugar

it's gotta be big
HSC
op shopping is the best, especially to pick up quirky old bags and belts. you don't OFTEN find good pieces of clothing, though there are some vintage stores in the inner-city which find all the good pieces for you - but then you end up paying 40 bucks instead of 4.

glitter burns

the sky is falling
HSC
In my area there are about eight or so op shops within walking distance from my house. To find good stuff you have to just keep looking, they get new (well, old, technically) stuff in all the time.
I hate those vintage stores that buy good stuff from charities and then charge craploads for it. :( I'm a poor student, I can't afford to pay that much for second-hand stuff, but I still want to look decent!

markmooks said:
Have you been likened to Pippi Longstockings?
No. No, I haven't.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
the op shops in the gong are ok, but still seem semi-dodgy
glitter_burns said:
I'm a poor student, I can't afford to pay that much for second-hand stuff, but I still want to look decent!
there's a really good place around the back of globe lane if you're interested..i think its factory seconds, but they're really good - i got a heaps nice black jacket for around $20 i think, good price for such a nice jacket (you'll see it if you see me at the monday night ce party...probably also wear it to the friday one if i go)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
op shopping is the BEST way to go if you're looking for something original. if you look you can find some of the funkiest clothing for less than half what you would pay normally. sometimes they need a wash or a mend, but its no biggie. last week i bought this really cool green shirtdress thing from an op shop near my house, it cost me 8 dollars, and it was in really good condition :p op shops are also really good for costumes and accessories. go op shopping!!

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
i find market shopping is better for second hand clothes than op shops. for eg Bondi markets have people who sell their old clothes and its really good. some women go there and sell each item for $5 or so. i've gotten full length dresses, pants, belts, bags shoes etc and they have been nice quality and good brands and have cost me next to nothing. if you get there early, you have full choice and can get heaps of good stuff.

and it doesn't smell like mothballs, which make my eyes water...

having said that, melb has some really good op shops on chapel street and in the city. you just have to dig deep.

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
ive only been to vinnes but twas still good...

i got this awesome wool/cashmere blazer for about $15...its sooo warm..

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Im going into the city on wednesday, can anyoen tell me the exact address of some good op shops there?

um..

hip hop antagoniser
HSC
N/A
the majority of my favourite items of clothing are from op shops. there was a good one in newy called penny lane but its in the process of closing down - right now everything is $2

Emily.

Pro-VSU
HSC
um.. said:
the majority of my favourite items of clothing are from op shops. there was a good one in newy called penny lane but its in the process of closing down - right now everything is $2
omg penny lane is closing down?!?!?!? ive browsed there so many times but its all a bit too quirky for me :(

HSC
AlleyCat said:
there aren't really any good ones in the city. go to newtown instead.
newtown really sucks in terms of op shops. they're all overpriced and all the good stuff has already been sifted through and bought by all the "trendies" that lurk there.

there's apparently this huge salvos in five dock that has some quality stuff, so i hear.

um.. said:
WHAT!? that's it! i'm going there.

Last edited:

irnie

life is a dance floor
HSC
the best op shop i've been to so far is a place in Darlinghurst, opposite the NAS, called Kookaburra Kiosk. every time i've been they've had 50% off all their dresses and there's some stuff that looks 1940s (my new frenzy)!! i got these mad long, navy blue gloves that are in perfect condition for $8!!

if you can, please take a few mins to take my short survey to help with my major due in 2 wks... muchly appreciated:

http://www.my3q.com/go.php?url=karmapolice/3437

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)