Option 1 - Industrial Chemistry (1 Viewer)

danno

this was the only bit of the paper that i really stuffed up. i had no idea with the question with the map and the 2 factories :(

babydoll_

wat
HSC
N/A
reps for scanning, or giving us the general gist of the question

Plebeian

The 7 mark question featured a map, with features such as a large city, railway lines, the ocean, ports, limestone deposits, a river, and a power station. There were 3 potential sites for factories, the question was to find the best place to put a Solvay process factory (ie making sodium carbonate) and a factory to make NaOH by electrolysis. I will scan if you really want it.

undo

HSC
where did everyone put their NaCO3 and NaOH plants on that map?

Plebeian

I put the Solvay plant at C (limestone, rail access to port, close to ocean for dumping of water and CaCl2, pumping of brine), and the electrolysis plant at B (away from city where Cl2 kills people, access to electricity, on rail line to port anyway).

undo

HSC
I thought when they asked you the 'assess' verb you have to say option x is better than other options

Plebeian

"Assess the suitability of the three sites for locating industrial plants to produce each compound".

"Assess: Make a judgment of value, quality, outcomes, results or size"

Obviously you don't just talk about B & C and forget A, you need to assess the suitability of all three. But if you don't reach some sort of conclusion about what is the best choice, you haven't completely answered it imo.

undo

HSC
however that said, there would have been max. 2 marks allocated to the 'conclusion'

bloodysunday

Galactic Hitch-hiker
HSC
yeah i talked about each place and how it would suit either plant. b was best for the NaOH and c was best for the Na2CO3.

btw, what was the prac that we supposedly did on identifying emulsions? I dont think my class ever did it, or i was away. anyway i didnt answer it :(

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
I don't believe I managed to rat on for 4 pages on that 7 mark map question. Oh well, at least I can be pretty certain I answered the question properly.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
bloodysunday said:
yeah i talked about each place and how it would suit either plant. b was best for the NaOH and c was best for the Na2CO3.

btw, what was the prac that we supposedly did on identifying emulsions? I dont think my class ever did it, or i was away. anyway i didnt answer it :(
I didn't know what it was either, but then I noticed the bit underneath it ("contrast the industrial production of soap", etc) and assumed they mean't the saponification prac (the 'soap' forms an emulsion with the solution, doesn't it?). I hope I guessed it correctly.

Plebeian

You were meant to make another emulsion too. I think we did an experiment to make cold cream (moisturiser-ish thing) but I couldn't remember how we did it, so I made up some stuff about researching mayonnaise.

cheers_big_ears

i think the emulsion that we did was red wine vinegarette.

oil and vinegar togeather and add mustard powder.

overall the option wasnt to bad, cept for the detergent q bout environment...
crapped on about something wrong nodoubt. *sigh*

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I made mine up. Such BS.

Pour water and oil in a beaker. Add soap shavings. Stir. Emulsion.

Komaticom

Bored Member
HSC
Uni Grad
nicko04 said:
overall the option wasnt to bad, cept for the detergent q bout environment...
crapped on about something wrong nodoubt. *sigh*
I that was shit. I looked at the diagram and wrote a half-decent answer.

Anionic- saves lives of pigs because no need for animal fats. Also doesn't form lather so less solid effluent.

Non-ionice- has OH head. Increases pH of water, with detrimental effects on aquatic life.

Cationic- has Nitrogen head. Promotes eutrophication and algal blooms.

The Bograt

boredofuni
HSC
That emulsion experiment we didn't do, so I used the soap one we did, showing how it separated oil

reckon I would get marks for this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)