Option 2 - Shipwrecks, Corrosion and Conservations (1 Viewer)

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
There was a 7 mark question on the history of shipbuilding:S

grimreaper

HSC
withoutaface said:
There was a 7 mark question on the history of shipbuilding:S
yeah I was lucky I studied that recently. I know alot of people that had no idea for that

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
grimreaper said:
yeah I was lucky I studied that recently. I know alot of people that had no idea for that
I reckon I'll get 4-5/7 for that

Stanche

It was better than expected yet fair gay overall.
I havent slept since wednesday night so im glad its all over!!!! hehe

What did ppl write for part (d) (iii)???
About the two ships and corrosion and stuff??

I so had mental blanks in that department... my mind wasnt remembering anything in that exam :'(

grimreaper

HSC
withoutaface said:
I reckon I'll get 4-5/7 for that
yeah sames.. but I think most will only get maybe 1 or 2 as its not an area of the syllabus thats focussed on

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Stanche said:
It was better than expected yet fair gay overall.
I havent slept since wednesday night so im glad its all over!!!! hehe

What did ppl write for part (d) (iii)???
About the two ships and corrosion and stuff??

I so had mental blanks in that department... my mind wasnt remembering anything in that exam :'(
The partially submerged ship had a higher temperature and oxygen concentration and as such corroded faster is the long and the short of it...

ay_caramba

Crazily Sane.
HSC
i thought this section was pretty easy compared to past paper..
o except for that 7 mark question..which basically involved the bs factor.

Stanche

Maddddddd! That was so an educated guess.. and very educated indeed!

In the seven mark question i just raved on about more strength and effectiveness in using steel and iron. More durable and diverse properties in alloys and the wonders of passivating metals (chromiun) in order to prevent corrosion on the hull.
I so hope i answered it right. Its one of the only things i knew from the syllabus.

Kazuya

keio 最高
HSC
yeah for the 7 mark one i talked about all that protection stuff too, that was after about half a page - a page about the history of shipbuilding. I should've done more on the history, I think that's what they're looking for.

i was very glad they had nothing on cleaning/restoration or electrolytic reduction/cleaning and all that stuff. And not even anything on sulfate-reducing bacteria which was strange

smegthehead

is chairman kaga
HSC
Kazuya said:
i was very glad they had nothing on cleaning/restoration or electrolytic reduction/cleaning and all that stuff. And not even anything on sulfate-reducing bacteria which was strange
same, i would have been stuffed if they had asked for the process of cleaning cannons or something

xeriphic

withoutaface said:
The partially submerged ship had a higher temperature and oxygen concentration and as such corroded faster is the long and the short of it...
I don't think the first ship was submerged (on land), then again yer I said the same thing

mathock

HSC
Stanche said:
Maddddddd! That was so an educated guess.. and very educated indeed!

In the seven mark question i just raved on about more strength and effectiveness in using steel and iron. More durable and diverse properties in alloys and the wonders of passivating metals (chromiun) in order to prevent corrosion on the hull.
I so hope i answered it right. Its one of the only things i knew from the syllabus.
yeah you just needed to list the develoments in our knowledge of how metals react, and how the various problems have been fixed... i mentioned stainless steel and the chromium oxide layer, passivating metals, paints and a lot of emphasis on cathodic protection, both sacrificial metals and electric currents... i hated that exam... where was haber process? esters? biopolymers? dry cells? screw you board of studies

stevenwong86

Yeah I wrote the top ship was on land.

I'm also glad that there werent any stupid restoration questions, as I didnt know anything about them. Too bad I didnt get to mention sporovibrio desulfuricans :)

Gesus

HSC
ay_caramba said:
i thought this section was pretty easy compared to past paper..
o except for that 7 mark question..which basically involved the bs factor.

not much BS from me, and i still wrote 2 pages :p basically, it said 'increasing knowledge' i so talked about the evolution of ships, first, 17th cent lead sheeting and metal was only for fittings etc, then copper, too expensive, then brass( or bronze :S) , fittings needed to be caulked, then iron was used as world trade grew, had to be dry dockedto remove rust and barnacles, then moved to light steel ships, and how they add impurities, chrom, manganese, nickel, titantium, bleh blah. and at the end i came back and talked about how it allowed world trade :p

pretty much what the macquarie book says :p

mathock

HSC
Gesus said:
not much BS from me, and i still wrote 2 pages :p basically, it said 'increasing knowledge' i so talked about the evolution of ships, first, 17th cent lead sheeting and metal was only for fittings etc, then copper, too expensive, then brass( or bronze :S) , fittings needed to be caulked, then iron was used as world trade grew, had to be dry dockedto remove rust and barnacles, then moved to light steel ships, and how they add impurities, chrom, manganese, nickel, titantium, bleh blah. and at the end i came back and talked about how it allowed world trade :p

pretty much what the macquarie book says :p
i spent more time on the chemistry of it, i didnt say anything about how ships have progressed, but more about our knowledge of other metals and how well they can be used... i got 2 1/2 pages of good chem, but had trouble finding equations :S in the end i resorted to the half equations of sacrificial metals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)