oral health (1 Viewer)

*Pooja*

um...no actually. its a new course starting in 2005. theyre taking 40 sumthing ppl into it. its an u-g course. dentistry is the graduate course aint it.

thing is...i dont c the diff b/w oral health + dentistry. well there is but i cant pinpoint it.

so yeah... ;)

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
prolly tis a med sci/medicine equivalent to denistry... it may be the "recommended" ug to do wif u wanna do den =)

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
umm point dexter told me not to apply for oral health. Its like being the assistant dentist- its nothing special actually. My dentist had his "helper" do their oral health thing at TAFE. I dont think that possible anymore.

ohne

HSC
With the oral health degree you can become a dental hygienist or a dental therapist but NOT a full dentist.

A dental hygienist is like a semi-dentist that has to work under a full dentist. They can do some things like clean teath, apply flouride etc. but you can't have your own practice.

A dental therapist is like a person who works with childrens dental problems in places like schools under the supervision of a dentist.

These two positions are not to be confused with a dental nurse which is a lower position and is not covered under a degree. You don't necessarily need the BOH degree to become a dental therapist/hyienist as there are diplomas you can do on it.

Last edited:

ohne

HSC
I should point out, however, that if you have an interest in this sort of thing and want to get into the BDent graduate programme then this would probably be the best degree to do. I personally would like to becomea dentist but not a dental therapist/hyienist so I won't be applying for this course.

sachu

HSC
Hey pooJA,
I think you have already graduated and got where you wanted.
I am a current HSC student and very willing to apply for oral health at syd uni nxt yr. Did u end up takin the course?
How was it? I was really glad I could find this thread.
Please reply.
Sachu

Juliakate

HSC
Anyone know of any courses lower than a bachelor degree that could qualify me as a dental hygienist?

chonzyy

HSC
Hey pooJA,
I think you have already graduated and got where you wanted.
I am a current HSC student and very willing to apply for oral health at syd uni nxt yr. Did u end up takin the course?
How was it? I was really glad I could find this thread.
Please reply.
Sachu
Hiii what r u doing right now??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)