• 3-2-1

Votes: 13 18.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I did it in reverse (3-2-1).

Reason/strategy: I spent an extra 5 minutes on the creative writing, which meant that I ended up missing one of the 1 markers in section 1. Better than missing out on the final paragraph of the essay or story! :D

Last edited:

uhawww

Flakes
HSC
1-3-2

Figured I'd go a little over time with my essay, and with creative writing I believed I could conclude it better when running out of time rather than missing key points on an essay.

passion89

HSC
My order was 1:3:2

I did it in this order for the trials and I find that doing the essay second reassures me for time for some reason.

samantha_s

HSC
I did it the paper in order (1-2-3), which was the sequence I had used for my half-yearly and trial as well. Yet this time it didn't work so well. It might have been unwise, but I spent an extra 5 minutes on Section 1 and 2 (I had to change my original creative writing plan), then I rushed Section III. I finished the essay but wrote less than I'd hoped. Oh well, I'll just try to use better time management for my next exams.

Last edited:

pennypacker

Walking on the moon
HSC
Riviet said:
I did it in reverse (3-2-1).

Reason/strategy: I spent an extra 5 minutes on the creative writing, which meant that I ended up missing one of the 1 markers in section 1. Better than missing out on the final paragraph of the essay or story! :D
I don't understand why you wouldn't always do section 1 first. What do you use the 10 mins reading time for?

i do 1-3-2, like many others, as the reading time is crucial for section 1, and i tend to go overtime anyway. i also go overtime in section 3, leaving me 30 mins to do section 2. length isn't at as much of a premium for section 2, so you only really needs 30 mins to do it.

the whole paper is testing for time management though. It's really the hardest part of Paper 1.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
pennypacker said:
I don't understand why you wouldn't always do section 1 first. What do you use the 10 mins reading time for?
I still read through the 3 texts and the rest of the paper, but didn't feel comfortable with thinking/answering the short answer questions first thing in the exam.

P

pLuvia

1-3-2

Creative was last because it was more 'relaxing' and it gave me more time for the section 3, 5 minutes more ;)

rusty123

HSC
pennypacker said:

the whole paper is testing for time management though. It's really the hardest part of Paper 1.
i still read through the texts, but because my essay is generally prepared and memorised sentence-for-sentence (if not word-for-word like today, luckily it fitted), i find that actually writing out section 1 pushes essay info out of my brain. i concur about the time management though, well done to everyone who managed to finish in time (i didn't)

sando

HSC IS EVIL
HSC
2--3--1

i seem to be the odd one out

abcd9146

HSC
3 > 1 > 2....

section 3 is the lkike the easiest section for me, so i pretty knew how much time it'd take for me, so thats shy i did that first, then i do the comprehension, last the creative writing, because even if i run out of time to do creative writing, i can end it whenever i want (no-one knows it its really 'finished')...but yeah, i still managed to finish all the paper :)

HSC
Backwards 3 - 2- 1

I figure I need the most time for the essay as I'm not the world's fastest writer, but I can do creative writing like *SNAP*, so I spent an extra 10 on the essay. Then creative took about 40 minutes. I leave section 1 til last because you are guaranteed marks and can go through answering questions and getting marks as you go rather than having to miss a whole section of an essay that might cost five marks or something.
It sounds like twisted logic because it's 2 in the morning.
I assure you it's best for me.

silentprayer

silently praying
HSC
maybe those 3! choices is not enough for me lol...
for trials i did half of 2, then3,1 and back to two
for hsc did 3 then half of 1 then 2 and lastly finished one

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
3:1:2.

Well usually i do like a few paragraphs for say section 3 and then move on to section one. Then when i have written a bit for that section i move on to the other one and so on.

binkys

HSC
i did 1-3-2

we were taught by the best and from the start were advised to do this pattern and it is the best advice i have ever taken.

The 10 minutes reading time is for reading the texts and preparing answers in your head i believe. Once the first section is out get the essay done and finish off with a piece of light writing.

klaw

HSC
1-3-2, read through comprehension + questions in reading time so I could basically start writing the answers for section 1 straight away then I figured it'd be better to leave my creative writing last because you can conclude it early without losing many marks if you ensure that your story still makes sense but if you leave out a text in the essay you're pretty much screwed

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)