Our Little Showcase :) (1 Viewer)

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
I'm handing mine in in 14 hours, and as such, I don't care who reads it. As far as I'm concerned, it's as finished as it's getting.

I'm really interested to see some of the crits people are doing this year. Mine's an analysis of adolescent sexuality in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

So post. : )

Last edited:

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
i will post mine as soon as it is finished. here's my foreword in the time being (it's really crap - my whole thing!):

Foreword
Lian Hearn is a pseudonym adopted by renowned children's author Gillian Rubinstein upon her first foray into adult literature. The intent of this critical response is to analyse two of Rubinstein’s adult fiction novels, Across the Nightingale Floor and Grass For His Pillow (published under the Hearn nom de plume), and two of her books for younger readers, Shinkei and The Whale’s Child.

The main focus of this analysis is the contextual connection with the author and the texts, and simultaneously the relationship between the texts and the audience, in particular reference to Louise Rosenblatt and her Reader-Response Theory. Rosenblatt defined in her Transactional Reader-Response Theory that for a transaction between the text and the reader to occur, the reader’s approach to the text must be “aesthetic rather than efferent.” When one reads in this aesthetic mode, they “experience a personal relationship to the text that focuses (their) attention on the emotional subtleties of its language and encourages (them) to make judgements.”

Thus, this analysis relies on the literary techniques that enable the aesthetic transaction to occur, whilst also examining the themes and parallels present which are a reflection of Rubinstein’s context and thoughts.

These analogous themes are unanimously present in the four texts. Namely, each of the books has the inclusion of Japan, being either based entirely or partially in Japan, which enabled Rubinstein to explore an area of her interest.

Relationships are vital throughout the novels, but more specifically family relationships are the focus of the story, with characters from each text being either orphaned, coming from a broken home, or who have a poor relationship with their parents. As a result of this, they are forced to become self-reliant, and it is through this independence that they discover another world or come to the realisation that there is more to the world than they knew.

The final theme that is broached is that of power and control, and the wielding of this power in the fight against an evil side. This side can also be something from which the characters are fleeing within themselves, an inherent malevolence and wickedness. The use of power in this sense is intoxicating to the characters, who need to learn their bounds in order to triumph over that which they seek to conquer.

aud

HSC
glycerine said:
I'm handing mine in in 14 hours, and as such, I don't care who reads it. As far as I'm concerned, it's as finished as it's getting.

I'm really interested to see some of the crits people are doing this year. Mine's an analysis of adolescent sexuality in Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

I'm so glad you're posting yours, I will read ASAP... I don't think I should post my badly attempted parts of my MW though, unless you really want

pitted

HSC
N/A
hey tomorrows angel!
cant wait to read your MW
i have read all 3 tales of the otori
and i must admit that i did not know what u just said
so enlighten me and post your MW already!!!!!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
there you go, pitted.
it shall disappear soon... and don't expect too much from it, it's not in depth or anything, mainly just techniques and stuff.

Last edited:

pitted

HSC
N/A
thank you soooo much for that tomorrows angel
:D
i wasnt going to go on today but i am glad that i did
i cant read it now since i have to get ready for school and all that
but i will and ill give u some feedback
one other thing
have u read mine>>>????
ok
ciao

belly_moo

burgur 'o5
HSC
glycerine said:

i just finished reading it - WOAH - its really, really good!! top stuff you got there =D

but you're in yr11 and you're doing EE2? :confused: how did you get into EE2 in the prelim yr?!

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
I posted mine on the big thread on main board - but might as well post it here to in our critical thread :)

Mel

somnambulist

Glycerine, I was rec'd to read your critical response by a friend who had even printed it out because she was so impressed by it and I must say that I agree with her; it was an incredible piece of writing. As a fellow Buffy fan, I applaud your insight into the themes and issues addressed that Joss et. al. intended and it was a very enjoyable and interesting read. Kudos!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
aud - thanks for posting that! i just finished reading it and i definitely think it had potential. it's pretty much like mine was around the time you dropped it - had good ideas but nothing to really bind it all together

somnambulist - thanks dude : ) i love feedback. i'm actually kind of tempted to submit it to slayage after the results come out, but maybe tighten it up a bit :p

jazzi_jess

20 days to go!
HSC
arrgggh

i'm really worried now, how come you guys have already finished? I haven't even started writing mine yet. i'm all research research. oh well. i feel fine. well done for getting yours already written. is anyone coming to the workshop on the 20th of March in sydney?

jack white

After Hours
HSC
don't worry

hey these guys are from last year, don't stress jazzi jess (ha ha). i'm slowly finishing up on the research process and i'll be writing in the next month or so.

i am planning on going to the ee2 crit response work shop, do you know much about it?? i hope its worth the 40 bucks!

leetahl

HSC
jazzi_jess said:
i'm really worried now, how come you guys have already finished? I haven't even started writing mine yet. i'm all research research. oh well. i feel fine. well done for getting yours already written. is anyone coming to the workshop on the 20th of March in sydney?
hey- i went to that yesterday! what did you think of it?
personally i dont think the guy was that good.. he didnt really talk about critical responses in general.. jus tthe specific bits he found. what did you think?

djmattyd

HSC
Yeh nor do I. I mean, I'd read some of the essays he showed us, I was already aware what he was pointing out. It would've been nice if he wasn't just comparing major works, and actually showing us what we should be doing, rather than producing...I was so bored lol

leetahl

HSC
so true.. thats the thing.. i wish he would have discussed the problems or pro's of the ones he showed us rather than turning it into a reading session... oh well.. i dont think it was worth $40.. but i liked the refelction statement section.. so that was good. im still freaked out about the whole thing.. but it will be over soon.. 211 day till the hsc eh? including holidays etc.. so we are nearly there.. then- the ultimate freedom!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)