'Outline the ciminal process from a crime being reported to a sentence being given'. (1 Viewer)

chinesewombok

HSC
Okay, this question in the crime section was worth six marks. I was rather confused about how the question was worded. Do you think it required you to outline the sentencing process, or meant up until the sentencing process.

I did not outline the sentencing process, but rather finishes my response with 'the judge will, for criminal cases, reconvene the court for the sentencing hearing'.

What did everybody else do or how do you view this question?

lukadore

HSC
Re: 'Outline the ciminal process from a crime being reported to a sentence being give

that's a good question.

i wondered that too. in the end i started with investigation, so i didn't write anything about reporting (but there wasn't much to write anyway) but then i did write about sentencing.
it's hard to tell whether talking about the sentencing will be part of the marking criteria. i don't think it will be, but i can't be sure.

chinesewombok

HSC
Re: 'Outline the ciminal process from a crime being reported to a sentence being give

I agree. Very oddly worded. Could have been a lot clearer and precise. I hope it's not a part of marking criteria, the focus should be on the criminal process.

jj.oc

HSC

i forgot to write about bail AND arrest. fml.

ajk92

HSC

is it just me or was this similar to the discretion question in the sense that you went through the same stuff? just adding discretion into the question?

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

I included both detection and sentencing. About 2.5 pages all up I think.

HSC

is it just me or was this similar to the discretion question in the sense that you went through the same stuff? just adding discretion into the question?
I think they did overlap, yeah. But I think I paid greater attention to the role of the police in the criminal process one and greater attention to judicial discretion in the discretion question.

borneo

HSC

pretty sure my answer went

-investigate
-arrest/no arrest
-take offender to police station
-leave in holding cell
-statements from accused/witness/victim
-charges laid/not laid
-fact sheet issued
-bail/remand
-matter heard in court
-early guilty plea = upto 25% reduction in sentence
- not guilty plea, defence and prosecution try to prove guilt/innocene
- judge makes decision
- prosecution try to influence a harsher sentance (crim history/aggrevatin factors etc)
-defence try to influence lighter sentance (character references/rehab prospects/mitigating factors etc)
- judge makes decision on both parties arguments and takes precedents into account
-sentence given

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC

-investigate
-arrest/no arrest
-leave in holding cell
-charges laid/not laid
-fact sheet issued
-bail/remand
-matter heard in court
- judge makes decision
- prosecution try to influence a harsher sentance (crim history/aggrevatin factors etc)
-defence try to influence lighter sentance (character references/rehab prospects/mitigating factors etc)
- judge makes decision on both parties arguments and takes precedents into account
-sentence given
Wow, I can't believe I entirely forgot about stuff like early guilty pleas. :burn: Actually come to think of it I almost forgot to mention pleading completely :/

chinesewombok

HSC

I felt as though, for a six mark question, it was a lot of content to outline. I think it would have been a better choice for the ten mark question.

I was going over the same stuff a little. Just talking about police discretion in the arrest and investigation process and judicial discretion.

jamesjoker

HSC

-investigate
-arrest/no arrest
-leave in holding cell
-charges laid/not laid
-fact sheet issued
-bail/remand
-matter heard in court
- judge makes decision
-sentence given
I said something similar:

1. Crime is reported
2. Crime is investigated
3. Arrest/charged
4. Interrogation
5. Summons and summary hearing
6. Bail
7. Committal hearing
8. Arraignment hearing and plea
9. Hearing (evidence and procedure)
10. Verdict
11. Sentencing

Then I outlined very briefly what happened in each stage

HMF

Señor CAFS Dude
HSC

I actually really like the Crime questions :). I did seem to be saying the similar kinda stuff in the 7 and 10 marker. But yea I liked the questions :)

Rabbitoh

HSC

I felt I did really well for this question. Pretty much spoke about what is mentioned in the two lists above. Did 2 pages.

Rextu

HSC

Argh. Some of you are over-thinking it.

Arrest
Bail
Committal Hearing (plea is entered, if guilty, straight to sentencing hearing)
Trial, evidence heard from both sides, jury decides on a verdict
Sentencing, (aggravating/mitigating factors taken into account)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)