Party Job or Myer Xmas Casual? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys,

The other day I was offered a job with a party group, doing face painting, balloon modelling etc. The pay is $8.50 for the first 12 hours, then $14 for 3 months then $17 from then on.

Then just before I got an email from Myer inviting me to a group interview for Xmas casuals. I don't know if I should go to the Myer interview since I've already got the party job, but the idea of working at Myer is tempting...and then that could lead onto other retail jobs which I would love, since I'd really like to get into retail. But the money at the party job would be alot more than I'd be getting at Myer, right?

What would you choose?

mandathepanda

HSC
well im 18 and I recently got a job at Myer as a christmas casual and I'll be getting about $14.75 an hour (70% of adult rate plus 20% casual loading)..I think Myer still give penalty rates for working on Sundays too(please correct me if I'm wrong) .

Anyway ,heres Myer's pay details:
The Adult Rate of Pay is $16.3947 per hour (effective 14 September 2008) for ordinary hours Monday to Sunday. Please refer to the Myer Stores Agreement 2007 (Part 2) for specific rates of pay for Saturday evenings and Sundays.
In addition to this rate you will be paid a 20% casual loading for ordinary hours worked in lieu of annual leave and sick leave entitlements. Payment will be made fortnightly in arrears into a nominated account.
If you are under 20 years of age, your rate of pay will be adjusted in line with the junior rates of pay table outlined below.

If you are under 20 years of age, you will be paid:
16 years or less 50
17 years 60
18 years 70
19 years 80

born2b

HSC
sounds like a shit job lol? the partys ..

myers would be pretty fun.. i guess.. but meh you might not even make it in so yeah

try ur luck!

HSC
Hmm yeah I dunno how fun the party thing would be...I have training tomorrow so I'm going along to that anyway, and have the group interview at Myer on Wednesday. I think if I get in at Myer I'll drop the other one. The idea of more permanent shifts if I take Myer is tempting, even though I'd make less.

mandathepanda, how did you find the interview? And now that you're working what's it like?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
Myer, honestly. For me it would be the prefered one at least, I don't really like screaming children. If they're nice and quiet and don't have the tendency to shriek/cry/vomit on me/be fussy, I'd be fine.

cocochanelcoley

HSC
Does anybody know if Myers does paid training??
I have it this friday night and pretty much all saturday. sigh. is it exhausting??

HSC
Well I had my Myer interview yesterday, really hoping I get it. Though the training so far for the party job has been pretty fun, I can just see Myer being a better atmosphere to work in.

cocochanelcoley said:
Does anybody know if Myers does paid training??
I have it this friday night and pretty much all saturday. sigh. is it exhausting??
Well in the presentation yesterday she said you are paid 3 hours for the online induction, then for the 2 day training and the 2 hour 'welcome to mystore' training. So yes, they do paid training.

mandathepanda

HSC
flyingKangaroo said:
Hmm yeah I dunno how fun the party thing would be...I have training tomorrow so I'm going along to that anyway, and have the group interview at Myer on Wednesday. I think if I get in at Myer I'll drop the other one. The idea of more permanent shifts if I take Myer is tempting, even though I'd make less.

mandathepanda, how did you find the interview? And now that you're working what's it like?
this is a bit late sorry but yeah the interview was good because i was on a table with people who were all my age so we got on really well,and I haven't actually started working yet because I'm doing the HSC at the moment....i've booked my training in for after my exams:) .

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
I quit Myer last week.

Talk about shit pay, player.

HSC
Thanks for all the comments guys. I got an email just before from Myer saying I got the job so needless to say, I've quit the party place. :D

mef90

HSC
ooooh...others working as myer christmas casuals...

what store are you at?
where and when are your training days?
and when are you all starting work?

im at penrith myer starting december 1 hopefully
and i have training at parra store on november 13th and penrith november 15th.

please let me know.

Jon73

human dick-tionary
HSC
Have you kids checked the pay rate for Myer casual? You're pretty much paying them to let you work there.

You'd get $5 more working at Maccas.

If you're not a pimple-faced kid, get a job at a phone store. They pay on average $18+ for 17/18 y.o.

Myer is floating around the $10 mark.

HSC
Jon73 said:
Have you kids checked the pay rate for Myer casual? You're pretty much paying them to let you work there.

You'd get $5 more working at Maccas.

If you're not a pimple-faced kid, get a job at a phone store. They pay on average $18+ for 17/18 y.o.

Myer is floating around the $10 mark.
I get $13.11 at Myer. I used to work at Maccas, $9.80, would be on something like $11 now since I'm 17. so yeah all up, Myer is better

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
man how the fuck can people stand working for that much. I would snap.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Riet said:
man how the fuck can people stand working for that much. I would snap.
Because the incentive of having more money clearly outweighs the short-term pain of the loss of time which is probably going to be wasted anyway.

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
dude you're not going to get many shifts at myer... they're cutting hours like fk. and if anyone gets the extra hours first it's gonna be the part-timers and the full-timers THEN the casuals... and then they'll drop you after the christmas period. trust me brah.

brasileira

HSC
hey I just had a group interview today for cosmetics in myer, is the pay rate the same for cosmetics consultants?

sifatkhan2003

HSC
N/A
HEy guys!!
can some people help me find places that are looking for christmas casuals.. I cant find any and i really want a job. I need jobs around the city, forest lake areas. Thanks so much. Your response would be greatly be appreciated.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)