Paying for university (1 Viewer)

Aaron.Judd

HSC
I wish to go to University in New South Wales (where I am currently completing HSC), although I am extremely worried about the costs. I am a New Zealand citizen (and permanent Australian resident) and hence not able to use HECS-HELP and defer my fees.

I'm not rich, and as I understand, fees must be paid at the start of the semester. So does this mean I have to have the full 7000 (group 3 science degree) for the first semester up front payed by the start of the February semester next year?

I'm not rich, and as HECS-HELP isn't available to me, being a NZ citizen, are there any other loan systems the government has that would apply to me or even any private instiutions/companies offering student loans which you don't have to pay back until after the degree is complete? As I don't think I can afford to pay 15K in fees + all living costs (on campus as I don't live in Sydney and live in rural NSW) each year.

I expect a UAI of high 80's to low 90's, so will be applying for as many scholarships as I can.

Any advice/info would be much appreciated.
Aaron Judd.

morganjane

HSC
Can you use the other system? DFEE i think it is, its like HECS but you have 20% interest upon the total "loan" for your course.
From those I know who pay fees straight up, you pay a semester at a time.
Hope any of this helped...

Good Luck
God Bless

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
morganjane said:
Can you use the other system? DFEE i think it is, its like HECS but you have 20% interest upon the total "loan" for your course.
From those I know who pay fees straight up, you pay a semester at a time.
Hope any of this helped...

Good Luck
God Bless
That was for domestic places anyway... and it's not being offered for next year :)

HSC
if you go back to NZ, don't they have a student loan system where you take out cash and pay 0% interest? i think you can then take that money and bring it to australia and study here.

spence

HSC
It should just be 7000ish for a year, not a semester

Last edited:

Evilo

HSC
spence said:
It should just be 7000ish for a year, not a semester
yeah, i came to $3,628 this sem.

@OP are you sure you can't get hecs help? i though nz&aus had an agreement going on?

HSC
Evilo said:

@OP are you sure you can't get hecs help? i though nz&aus had an agreement going on?
nah, i've got a friend with the same problem.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
Evilo said:

the agreement is that kiwi citizens have the same rights as aussie permanent residents, which is they have access to CSP places (and thus HECS-level rather than DFEE-level fees), but they don't have access to HELP, so they have to pay upfront and don't get the 20% upfront discount.

op's best option would be to get aussie citizenship, if he's eligible.

Evilo

HSC
Triangulum said:
the agreement is that kiwi citizens have the same rights as aussie permanent residents, which is they have access to CSP places (and thus HECS-level rather than DFEE-level fees), but they don't have access to HELP, so they have to pay upfront and don't get the 20% upfront discount.

op's best option would be to get aussie citizenship, if he's eligible.
ahh okay, thx for clearing that up.

yeah that probably is the best idea.

Aaron.Judd

HSC
If I was to apply for Australian citizenship, how long woudl it take? Would the government even allow this, as wouldn't it be consdiered rorting the taxpayer system lol?

If I am not an Australian citizen for say the first year of Uni and are a DFEE paying semesterally, but then become one later that year, can I get HECS-HELP for the remaining 3/4 years of study?

Thanks for all the help you've offered so far. :)

HSC
Aaron.Judd said:
If I was to apply for Australian citizenship, how long woudl it take? Would the government even allow this, as wouldn't it be consdiered rorting the taxpayer system lol?
I don't know how long it would take, but if you are entitled to Australian citizenship, then it would be allowed by the government, and you wouldn't be rorting the system at all.
This is assuming that you are entitled to Australian citizenship of course. But do find out ASAP.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
a mate of mine was an australian permanent resident in his hsc year and he managed to get his citizenship well before uni started, so i don't think it takes too long. that was before the citizenship test came in though so the process could be a bit longer now. so yeah, check with DIAC as soon as possible as to whether you're eligible.

Evilo

HSC
If you're eligible it won't take long at all.

http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/application-process/index.htm
http://www.citizenship.gov.au/applying/application-process/general/eligibility.htm

If you're <18 then you don't have to do the test. Otherwise you will have to. Being a full-time resident, a student, be of good character, and a new Zealand citizen won't be hard to become an Aussie. However you will have to endure a compulsory ceremony involving an aboriginal prayer (or something) and receive a plant.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)