People putting down food tech (1 Viewer)

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Are people getting told constantly "oh why would you do food tech, it's scaled so low and only dumb asses do it" (or something along those lines)?

i am getting really annoyed by people dissing it all the time, saying how its a "soft" subject. I love this subject and find it fascinating and at some points differcult.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
lol i am always embarassed when i tell people i did food tech

it's honestly a shit subject. fucking useless

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
marcquelle said:
Are people getting told constantly "oh why would you do food tech, it's scaled so low and only dumb asses do it" (or something along those lines)?

i am getting really annoyed by people dissing it all the time, saying how its a "soft" subject. I love this subject and find it fascinating and at some points differcult.
Ignore them. Get a high mark and scaling won't affect you anyway so stick with the subject, especially seeing as you love the subject.

Personally i ruled out Food Tech from doing it in year 9 and 10 and learning we had to learn about packaging for the HSC course *shivers... uber boring to me* But my friend who does hospitality as well loves it, and one of my other friends who dropped geography for it loves it to :D

People who mention scaling like it's the end of the world are dumb arses. Just shunnnnn them :)

housah0lic said:
lol i am always embarassed when i tell people i did food tech

it's honestly a shit subject. fucking useless
Lol it's not that much of a useless subject, especially if you want to be a chef. It'd help a lot in that case.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
when you want to do either property development or fashion directing, pretty fucking useless, eh?

and in regards to being a chef, food tech is almost irrelevant. why would you need to know about the autralian food industry or manufacturing food processes or how to develop a product.
to be a chef you wouldn't need much more than hospo.

shit subject.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
housah0lic said:
and in regards to being a chef, food tech is almost irrelevant. why would you need to know about the autralian food industry or manufacturing food processes or how to develop a product.
I think all that is a great idea, it encourages an entrepreneurial frame of mind, offers focus and direction, informs up & coming individuals of the industry and how to navigate through it, and how best to streamline and develop new methods etc.

housah0lic said:
to be a chef you wouldn't need much more than hospo.
That is a very low-IQ, zero-ambition, brainless approach. Jamie Oliver, Gordom Ramsay, Nigella Lawson, Stephanie Alexander, Ainsley Harriott, Kylie Kwong, Nobu and many others, each of them are highly successful chefs and each of them would argue with you that it's more than mere 'hospo' that got them to where they are.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
wasn't oliver bad at school and FYI miss lawson didn't aspire to become a well known chef. and i think neil perry got kicked out of school at like 14. duno about the rest. fuck em.

USELESS

FUCKING

SUBJECT

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It's scaling is pretty low and a lot of dumbasses do it but there is probably smart people as well. It's scaling is really shit, if you got 95 in 2008 it scaled down to 86 and if you get 88 it goes all the way down to 70. So even if you do well it still scales down a lot.

housah0lic

Dr Greenthumb
HSC
hey i got like 88 does that mean i actually got into the 90s lol

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
housah0lic said:
hey i got like 88 does that mean i actually got into the 90s lol
I don't know. If that was your HSC mark it got scaled down to 70 for your UAI. lol

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
If it is a subject you love and enjoy, then don't listen to anyone, that is why you are doing it.

Sure, it's not physics of 4U maths, but hey, if you don't enjoy them, then don't do them. I am tipping many of the people doing those subjects are ONLY doing them for the marks and have no real passion for them.

BUT, I am also tipping that those doing the 4U Maths and Physics might struggle in your subject ;)

Good on you for picking a subject you love. You are bound to do great in it because of that. And life is not about a UAI it is about fulfilment.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
housah0lic said:
wasn't oliver bad at school and FYI miss lawson didn't aspire to become a well known chef. and i think neil perry got kicked out of school at like 14. duno about the rest. fuck em.
And yet, each of them will still tell you that it's more than just 'hospo'.

housah0lic said:
USELESS

FUCKING

SUBJECT
What subject would you consider is more useful then?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I think its a valuable subject, but in terms of looking after yourself as opposed to career aspirations. I had mates who could cook pasta and toast and that was it, they took food tech and are now capable of actually taking care of their nutrition without mummys cooking.

SmRandmAzn

Banned
HSC
Who cares about its usefulness? If you can get high in it, it's usefulness is in getting you high marks. Get higher than people doing harder subjects and they'll stop bagging food tech.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
SmRandmAzn said:
Who cares about its usefulness? If you can get high in it, it's usefulness is in getting you high marks. Get higher than people doing harder subjects and they'll stop bagging food tech.
People who are interested in getting more out of their education than just a mark at the end?

georgefren

HSC
Your HSC is, sad as it is, mostly about the mark. It's possible to do well in food tech but it's hard.

It's not REALLY about helping you live a better life. Food tech is a wonderfully valuable life skill, in my opinion. But I'd never do it for the HSC because it's too mcuh effort to do well in.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Not to everyone, i agree with what your saying in regard to those who need high marks to get into a particular university course to chase their dream career, but there are many who complete their HSC without this need for high marks driving them.

georgefren

HSC
Oh well of course then. I mean I'm trying for law/commerce and I doubt I could do that with food tech. But as long as you don't need that high a UAI, go for it. Do what you love.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
i am already doing lols, i was just wondering if other people who also do food tech are getting told this constantly. I get told by people all the time. I love it and do good in it. On on the nigella thing, shes actually not a trained chef she's a food critic who became a co-host on a show named Saturday kitchen, then got her own. She actually has quoted oin interviews she hates cooking. But i digress.

and for the person who said is scales down, heres a fact for you, low scaling subjects, with students who recieve a band 6, retain that band 6 due to scaling is disregarded. Told to me by a staff member at U.A.C. This is make it all equal through out the state

and i need a 75-89 uai for what i wish to do.

Last edited:

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
marcquelle said:
on the nigella thing, shes actually not a trained chef she's a food critic who became a co-host on a show named Saturday kitchen, then got her own. She actually has quoted oin interviews she hates cooking. But i digress.
Perhaps I may be revealing a bit too much about myself but I know she is not a trained chef and that she started off as a writer first, and fell into food writing by pure chance, and even so it was almost by impulse. *ahem* but anyway, the point I was trying to make is that she has obviously done very well for herself and she would not have been able to do that without having a certain amount of smarts in the marketing, image, knowledge of the industry and what makes it tick and last but definitely not least, food and how cook it. Now, she fell into it and she picked up her bits of knowledge along the way (with a bit of luck, along with the fact that she's also very photogenic). But these are the skills that the study of food tech and business can prepare you for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)