People who didn't get the required ATAR for your course: what are you doing now? (1 Viewer)

nuvardex

HSC
With HSC exams in 4 days, I'm trying to reaffirm that the ATAR does not matter. However, considering I want to get into the faculty of design, architecture and building at USYD, the possibility of not getting the required ATAR still makes me nervous.

So, people who needed to get a certain ATAR, what happened? In your opinion, does it really matter? What can you do instead if you really want to get into your course but can't?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
Literally every single person that says the atar doesn't matter always says that "there are other pathways" but never specifically says what they are or what they did personally (since those people usually got into their course anyway).
Well there are other pathways. One of my friends dropped out in year 11 to become a chef, realised it isn’t what he wanted to do. Did a 1 year course at tafe in IT and now he’s studying a 4 year IT and Business degree in UTS, and he didn’t even get an ATAR obviously.

Vall

HSC
I think the other pathway is to do a similar but lower ATAR course and then try to transfer after a semester.
For me if I don't get the ATAR I need I'll accept one of my early offers instead (but obviously a little too late to apply for those now).

Vall

HSC
But going more back to what the OP asked, I think if you miss your target ATAR by 1-2 (I assume you're not gonna get a mystery mark) its still very possible to get into the course you want in less than 20 years.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
Personally, I didn't even receive an ATAR at all. I left school last year (2021) about 2 months out from my trials. Decided to study a Certificate IV in Accounting and Bookkeeping and after completing it, had the option to do a Diploma of Accounting or a Bachelor of Applied Commerce at TAFE (not much option...).

Currently I'm instead doing a Certificate IV in Tertiary Preparation at TAFE, which is an alternative (and easier), flexible pathway to most university courses and holds almost the equivalence of the HSC.

Whilst I am in a slightly different situation, I can vouch for the fact that if you do not get the required ATAR necessary for your course, or you don't even get an ATAR at all, there are always other options.

Sometimes though to reach your degree goal, it can require some patience. However, the extra time you have between now and when you hope to start a degree would be invaluable in deciding your future pathway.

milquetoast

HSC
Did you apply to any early entry programs for similar courses at other institutions?

I know someone who did a commerce diploma that allowed them to transfer into the second year of a bachelor of commerce at the same school, no ATAR required, just grades.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)