Persian text book/study book? (1 Viewer)

SamQ

HSC
Hi,
I am just wondering as to what HSC texts books/study books there are for '
Persian society at the time of Darius and Xerxes'

Much appreciated

Garryhindmarsh

HSC
N/A
There is a text that covers the Near East Subjects including Assyria, Israel and Persia called "The Near East" by Helen Hindmarsh and Cathy Harnack, Published in 2009 by Nelson and is directly related to the NSW HSC Syllabus. Available from "Endevour Education", Sydney, ph.02 97090000
Best Wishes
Garry

ArtemisOrthia

HSC
Here are some texts relevant to the period: (both ancient and modern sources listed:)

Burn, ARR. (1984) Persia and the Greeks, Duckworth, London.
Dandemaev, M.A. and Lukonin, V.G. (1989) The Culture and Social Institutions of Ancient Iran, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
Herodotos (1985) The Histories, trans. Rex Warner, Penguin, Harmondsworth.
Kuhrt, A. (1995) The Ancient Near East c. 3000-330BC Vol 2 Routledge, London.
Lawless and Cameron (1994) Studies in Ancient Persia, Thomas Nelson, South Melbourne. (This one is structured following the HSC syllabus, and is quite detailed)
Olmstead, A.T., (1948) History of the Persian Empire, University of Chicago Press, Chicago.
Roaf, M. (1990) Cultural Atlas of Mesopotamia and the Near East, Facts on File Ltd, New York.
Weishoefer, J. (1996) Ancient Persia 550BC-650 AD trans. Azodi, A. IB Tauris Publishing, London.

Study Guides that cover this option for the Society section, are also the Excel and the Macquarie guides (if you don't have these available to you, I can do a quick scan of my copies and email you the relevant pages, send me a PM if you would like me to do so.

Fake-Name

HSC
Besides HSC study guides, I own and refer to Olmstead's Persian Empire, Pierre Briant's From Cyrus to Alexander, M.A Dandemaev 'Political history of the Persian Empire'. Although these are pretty expensive. Each have extremely detailed source indexes, so its easy to find anything you're looking for.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)