Pharm and commerce? (1 Viewer)

memo15

HSC
Hey .

is it possible to do a double degree bach of pharm and commerce same time?

thanks

cssftw

HSC
only at monash :( - i want business skills for my business

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
If you want business skills for running a small business, I don't think commerce is the right option. There are much more practical courses on running a small business at TAFE/colleges I believe. After all, finishing with a Commerce degree will tell you how to calculate your weighted cost of capital between raising debt finance (i.e. borrowing money from a bank) and raising equity (i.e. from shareholders) but it teaches you close to nothing about either how to actually raise either of those, or even how to enter the data into an accounting program like MYOB/Quickbooks. You'll learn that companies need to register and an introduction to contract law or the different types of taxes you can pay, but they won't teach you how to actually register a company with ASIC or what type of taxpayer you should register to be.

The point I'm getting at is Commerce is great if you plan to work in an established company and need to know the more high level conceptual issues so you can analyse the situations/scenarios which come up, but in terms of day to day practicality, you won't learn that much. I've heard some unis (e.g. UTS- which is irrelevant for this thread really) are a bit more practical but realistically, TAFE is the way to go. It's highly unlikely you will encounter any issues (at least whilst you're starting up a small business) which can't be answered by your local accountant (whether it's a CA or CPA) for a fee and if anything, they can probably offer you far better advice than what you'd learn with a piece of paper from a university. Besides, you should focus on what you're good at (i.e. being a pharmer) rather than trying to be a half baked Commerce student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)