Photoelectric effect (1 Viewer)

Premus

Which of the following was the first to provide a real explanation of the results observed in the photoelectric effect?
a) de broglie
b) hertz
c) einstein
d) planck

ummm im a bit uncertain.....between Planck and Einstein

Also, can someone pls tell me what EACH of the above scientists did?

Thanks a lot!

tempco

HSC
Wasn't it Einstein who proposed that quantum theory to explain the photoelectric effect? I know Plank proposed quantas to explain black body radiation, but I don't think he went as far as the photoelectric effect.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
Hertz was the first to observe it, however had no idea of what it was.

a) i dont know who that is.

So I THINK nekkid's right with choising c.

Last edited:

smallcattle

HSC
de Broglie proposed that all kind of particles has both wave and particle properties, which explained why electrons do not emit radiation

Hertz proved the existence of electromagnetic waves, he did observed the photoelectric effect but didnt go far enough

tempco

HSC
jumb said:
So I THINK nekkid's right with choising d.
Actually, I chose c, Einstein. :uhhuh:

Plank thought his concept of "quanta" was just a mathematical trick to explain the results of black body radiation.

ontherun

HSC
a) de broglie: proposed dat matter has wave characteristics. also derived equation lander= h/mv

b) planck: discovered quantom theory. When investigating blak body radiation he found he could only get agreement between experiment & theory by postulating that light came in photons or quanta, this differed classical views

c) einstein: best know 4 work on relativity. Also produced work on photoelectric effect

d) hertz: demonstrated existance of electro mag. waves after maxwell had predicted them. Also found fotoelectric effect but failed to investigate it.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
its einstein,
plank observed it and proposed quanta, but einstien explained through the beginnings of quantum physics that energy travels in discreet bundles called photons, and an electron can absorb all or none of the photon. the energy given by the photon is the work function plus the kinetic energy of the electron once it is released from the metal and travels (in the photo electric effect)

bohr then used these hypothesis to create his model of the atom with standing wave electrons (borrowed from de broglie) whihc exist in stationary states and jump between quantum levels

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)