Physics depth study - Module 7 (1 Viewer)

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
Hi guys, my schools doing a depth study which is basically an information report on the syllabus dotpoint: conduct investigations of historical and contemporary methods used to determine the speed of light and its current relationship to the measurement of time and distance. We had to choose 4 methods (2 pre 1900s and 2 post 1900s) based on a research question. How would you guys recommend to go about this?

username_2

HSC
Hi guys, my schools doing a depth study which is basically an information report on the syllabus dotpoint: conduct investigations of historical and contemporary methods used to determine the speed of light and its current relationship to the measurement of time and distance. We had to choose 4 methods (2 pre 1900s and 2 post 1900s) based on a research question. How would you guys recommend to go about this?
First tho that is a really sad and lazy question because it is just a refurbished dot point in the syllabus, but other than that, the obvious would be 2 historical and 2 contemporary methods. For me, it is easily segregated in four sections:

1) Why was the speed of light measured
The determining of a finite-ness of the speed of light using astronomical measurement
Using earth-based systems to measure the speed of light - Fizeau-Foucault

2) Change in the intentions of measurements
Discovery of the constancy of the speed of light - Maxwell's equations
Measuring the speed of light to measure its constancy - interferometers
Consequences through special relativity - briefly discuss implications such as time dialation, length contraction etc

3) Modern methods and uses
Hence, as a result of these consequences, a more rigorous standard was found for the metre length - standardisation of length and time using the speed of light (which is made a defined constant) - i.e. new SI units standards and impact
how interferometers have developed further right now in more advanced uses -|\/
Improving the accuracy of the speed measurement to determine other properties such as speeds in different mediums (this was done in fizeau-foucalt experiments but now this method is very precise and accurate), devices utilising the constancy of the speed of light (GPS, LiGO) - Resonance Cavities

and ofcourse the usual introduction, body, conclusion format. Just some thoughts and hope it helps.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)