Physiotherapy: USYD vs UWS (1 Viewer)

Caboufram

HSC
N/A
Keeping in mind that I have a $20 000 scholarship at UWS...

Dylanamali

HSC
physio at uws is relatively new.. i think maybe only 1 or 2 years have actually graduated from the course, whereas usyd is very set up and has developed an established reputation.
In the end $20k isn't that much, but it's definitely something not to take lightly.. I'd say that if you were to get mid 98, and got an offer for usyd, accept it. The better reputation would likely lead to better job prospects. In saying that, if you don't make the cut off, go for uws for sure.. also go for the vcls scholarship + the aspire leadership program! good luck.

Ryan_T90

HSC
No, the better reputation of a university does not equal better job prospects. Why do people believe this is true? Employers aren't going to decide someones capability on whether you went to USYD or UWS, they'll base it on academic achievement, work experience and commitment, not the 'prestige' or 'reputation' of a university. Physiotherapy at UWS is actually really well established. They have got great, new facilities and from what I hear, a very hands on program.
$20k is actually a lot, especially for a University student, and especially for a University student who is unemployed. Also, chances are if you don't get 98 to mid 98 for Physiotherapy at USYD, you probably won't be accepted into Physiotherapy at UWS because the cut-offs at the moment are of .35 difference.

Dylanamali

HSC
bonus points..

people get into physiotherapy at uws with very low 90's.. e.g. 91/92
I agree that better rep doesn't equal better job prospects. But the training and clinical placements provided by the university will definitely affect your chances of getting a job.
Physio at UWS isn't well established.. how can a course that has only had 2 years of graduates be established.

Dylanamali

HSC
Just because something isn't "established" doesn't mean that I disregard it. I simply stated that UWS Physio is only a new course, thus it is currently hard to judge how good the course is.

With medicine, it's obviously a different story.. medicine anywhere is great.. and a doctor is a doctor as many people say. As long as the course is accredited then props to the degree.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
So would you disregard the UWS Medicine degree?
But like, C-Town hospital is right there and stuff. So I guess not.
Also, he does advanced med science at UWS and is trying to get into med so I guess he does regard it as good.

Ryan_T90

HSC
bonus points..

people get into physiotherapy at uws with very low 90's.. e.g. 91/92
I agree that better rep doesn't equal better job prospects. But the training and clinical placements provided by the university will definitely affect your chances of getting a job.
Physio at UWS isn't well established.. how can a course that has only had 2 years of graduates be established.
93.00* They only give bonus points (5 points) for living in the district. They don't give bonus points for getting certain bands in certain HSC subjects.

Dylanamali

HSC
yeah, okay, but still a 93 is SO much easier than a mid 98.

Ryan_T90

HSC
Obviously. But it doesn't change the fact that there are people within the Physiotherapy course at UWS who did actually get a 98.

Dylanamali

HSC
hmm yeah, I'd agree on that.. but they'd definitely be few and far between.

I mean - I achieved 98.75 and am at UWS, so don't think I'm hating on UWS or anything. But yeah, from everyone I've come across so far, there's only been one other person who achieved 98+ (not including med students).

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
93.00* They only give bonus points (5 points) for living in the district. They don't give bonus points for getting certain bands in certain HSC subjects.
My friend got into it with 92.7.

She's on here actually.

Smartalec.

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
hmm yeah, I'd agree on that.. but they'd definitely be few and far between.

I mean - I achieved 98.75 and am at UWS, so don't think I'm hating on UWS or anything. But yeah, from everyone I've come across so far, there's only been one other person who achieved 98+ (not including med students).
My tutor went there for advanced science and he got 99.25. But I was like, nah, USyd is less bogan.

acemusic415

HSC
I don't think it would matter. Personally, I'd take the 20k scholarship and if its much more convenient in terms of travel, I'd definitely go with the UWS. Despite the fact that it is new, much can't be done about that. All faculties have had their opening and conception. UNSW law was opened in 1970s and now it has flourished as being one of the best law faculties in the country. So it takes time, I guess. USYD (in my personal opinion) only has prestige, but I don't know much about the training and clinic USYD does. At the end of the day, you come out with the same degree and it is what you do with the degree that matters.

Tressenterra

HSC
Uni Grad
If you have the 20k scholarship at UWS, then take it. Smarter, given that UWS and USyd HlthSci aren't much different, except people think more highly of USyd.

kevin321

HSC
Imo yea is better let me justify my reason
Uws is b health science/masters in physio double degree where unsw is just bachelors
Umad

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Imo yea is better let me justify my reason
Uws is b health science/masters in physio double degree where unsw is just bachelors
Umad
UNSW was never mentioned in this thread.
You have failed to address USyd.

Umad?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)