Places to find harder proofs questions (~extracurricular/olympiad type) (1 Viewer)

lolzdj

HSC
I just finished doing my trials and came across a few interesting/uncommon kinds of questions that aren't found in your standard textbook (cambridge/terry lee). An example of this would be the following:

Prove that the only integer solutions to the equation (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) - 4 = 0 is (a+b+c+d)/4 where a, b, c and d are unique integers.

I feel like solving questions of this kind (especially once you see the solution and go "duh!") isnt neccessarily out of reach, i'm just not so sure where to start looking. Could anyone provide resources/give guidance as to where questions of this kind are found? Preferably at around the 4unit level.

Thanks!

Pedro123

HSC
I'm not sure but is this even true? Just subbing in a=1, b=2, c=3, d=4:
x = 2.5
= 1.5 * 0.5 * -0.5 * -1.5
Which isn't 4? Unless I'm understanding the question wrong here

lolzdj

HSC
x = 2.5
you let m be the interger solution, then equate to 4. Chuck a prime decomposition onto 4 and you get +/-(2,1) what each bracket is. Solve for m and you get your answer.

lolzdj

HSC
you let m be the interger solution, then equate to 4. Chuck a prime decomposition onto 4 and you get +/-(2,1) - what each bracket is. Solve for m and you get your answer. It's just showing that if there exists an integer solution, it must satisfy those criteria. I'm just paraphrasing the question btw; havent been allowed to take it home yet.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
See the past BoS trial papers in the resources section.

idkkdi

HSC
I just finished doing my trials and came across a few interesting/uncommon kinds of questions that aren't found in your standard textbook (cambridge/terry lee). An example of this would be the following:

Prove that the only integer solutions to the equation (x-a)(x-b)(x-c)(x-d) - 4 = 0 is (a+b+c+d)/4 where a, b, c and d are unique integers.

I feel like solving questions of this kind (especially once you see the solution and go "duh!") isnt neccessarily out of reach, i'm just not so sure where to start looking. Could anyone provide resources/give guidance as to where questions of this kind are found? Preferably at around the 4unit level.

Thanks!
Olympiad questions aren't going to help you much with 4u math. This looks pretty different from AIMO and AMO stages which are normally number theory and geometry heavy, with some similar algebraic questions, but usually harder/different to this one.
BOS trials is probably a good place to look. In addition maybe try grammar/ruse papers last questions.
Cambridge enrichment in 4u is pretty crazy imo.

tickboom

HSC
Uni Grad
x = 2.5
Pedro, I don't think you get to pick any unique integers for a, b, c and d. I think the question is just stating that the solution to the equation is (a+b+c+d)/4 where a, b, c and d (whatever they happen to be) are unique and integers.

Check out this video to see my attempt at tackling the proof. Enjoy!

Daniel.22

HSC
x is an integer, and a,b,c,d distinct integers, so x-a,x-b,x-c,x-d are distinct integer factors of 4, with product 4.

A quick consideration of cases tells you these factors must be 2,-2,1,-1.

Then sum the 4 equations to get 4x-(a+b+c+d)=2-2+1-1=0, and you are done.

If you are looking for some questions around the 4u level, I like the STEP exams. They are a lot closer to 4u in flavour/difficulty than olympiad questions.

idkkdi

HSC
x is an integer, and a,b,c,d distinct integers, so x-a,x-b,x-c,x-d are distinct integer factors of 4, with product 4.

A quick consideration of cases tells you these factors must be 2,-2,1,-1.

Then sum the 4 equations to get 4x-(a+b+c+d)=2-2+1-1=0, and you are done.

If you are looking for some questions around the 4u level, I like the STEP exams. They are a lot closer to 4u in flavour/difficulty than olympiad questions.
Someone is trying to get to Cambridge ^^.

Daniel.22

HSC
Lol no, am happy to study in Australia. The exams are still nice for practice though.

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad

Thanks!
I'll send you something :)

see below

Last edited:

TamzidZ

HSC
sorta, it popped up in the independent trial. also waddup.
Yo waddup. This someone i know? Also yeah i saw this q in the independant paper lol. It was a madness thing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)