Pocket Knives (1 Viewer)

What do you say about the illegality of carrying pocket knives?

• It should be changed to make everyone carry em around

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • People should be able to carry it on certain conditions for safety

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • It's best the way it is..

Votes: 10 45.5%

• Total voters

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
ok, ....lets get you, the public's opinion in relation to pocket knives

how come we, as the public, have access to pocket knives, but we aren't allowed to use it. ok, i've always had a thing for them, i like pocket knives, i think they're cool i, i bought one the other day. how come companies sell them, when theyre illegal to carry around?

basically, do you think carrying pocket knives for general safety should be ok? or do you feel that what's up now is better, because its way too dangerous. i think this way is...ok. but i do think sometimes, when you're alone at night or perhaps in a dangerous situation, a pocket knife could safe your life.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
Nononono

In this country you don't defend yourself. You hope to god the police happen to be right where you are when you get attacked.

We should ban all sharp and/or pointy objects, they're almost as bad as the evil guns.

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
Nononono

In this country you don't defend yourself. You hope to god the police happen to be right where you are when you get attacked.

We should ban all sharp and/or pointy objects, they're almost as bad as the evil guns.
ill ignore your avatar...

i find it funny that you can go and buy swords, and yet pocket knives are illegal to hold.

i find it funnier that fireworks are illegal here, but you can buy them from canberra and bring them here. i got deafened last night from a bunch of psychos who thought it was a thrill to let off fireworks near 10PM, unaware of the fact that the fireworks were set up underneath power lines

Mountain.Dew

Magician, and Lawyer.
HSC
veterandoggy said:
ill ignore your avatar...

i got deafened last night from a bunch of psychos who thought it was a thrill to let off fireworks near 10PM, unaware of the fact that the fireworks were set up underneath power lines
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh well this is one whacky world. youve got all kinds of people.

anyway, back on topic, pocket knives are a no-no for the general public, but i suppose if u obtain a licence, then u would be legal to carry one around.

mmmm but the problem is, then, anyone could obtain this licence, even randoms on the street who think it funny to threaten a poor victim for their money or their life.

fact is, its hard to control the possession of such small items, not even the police can do much, or even stop the sales of pocket knives.

but then again, if u wanna stab someone, wouldnt some scissors do? ur allowed to carry scissors around and have knives in the kitchen, right? lol this is where the gray area comes in...

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I would never carry a knife around for safety. They are good incase you need to cut stuff though. Any time I have to cut things now I use my house keys and they aren't very efficient.

malkin86

HSC
Mountain.Dew said:
anyway, back on topic, pocket knives are a no-no for the general public, but i suppose if u obtain a licence, then u would be legal to carry one around.

mmmm but the problem is, then, anyone could obtain this licence, even randoms on the street who think it funny to threaten a poor victim for their money or their life.
Licenses can be stolen, too. It's one of the reasons why they make Working With Children checks a form every so often (I'm not sure how often, I've only been working with kids for a year) and not a licence.

I carry a small pocket knife around for uni, for geology to be exact - the blade has a certain hardness (5.5ish on Moh's scale) in relation to rocks that I'm supposed to know about. The blade is 35 mm long and 6mm wide (at its widest point). Occasionally I've been known to whip out the scissors or tweezers, if I need them. Most of the time, it just lives in my bag. It took me a while to get used to carrying it, but I needed it (as an optional extra) for uni, and if I took it out, I would only forget it for my pracs, it just stayed in there.
I'm probably being foolhardy by leaving it in there, but for any potential attacker to wade through my junk just to find my knife would take far too long.

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Captain Gh3y said:
Nononono

a gun or a pocket knife is not dangerous in anyway. its just the idiot behind it that makes it that way.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hehe, that's true, and the fact that people say, oh if its used for a specific purpose like cutting food, anyone can lie about this. im kinda contradicting myself because im saying it should be ok to carry pocket knife on very strict conditions, but still, some people may lie and its so easy to get away with it.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hopeles5ly said:
a gun or a pocket knife is not dangerous in anyway. its just the idiot behind it that makes it that way.

which is the problem that started all the crap about banning pocket knives and stuff. i just want to carry it around for safety, and if there was any way to make sure people only carry it around for safety, that would be very good.

malkin86

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
which is the problem that started all the crap about banning pocket knives and stuff. i just want to carry it around for safety, and if there was any way to make sure people only carry it around for safety, that would be very good.
If you carry around an obvious weapon, what's to stop any attacker from taking it from you and using it on you?

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
which is why skill in using the self-defence intended weapon is very necessary... hence putting in strict conditions on carrying the weapon; not allowing the whole public to be able to have access to perhaps a license...

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
THE LAW said:
Knives can be carried for:
(i) the lawful pursuit of the person’s occupation, education or training,
(ii) the preparation or consumption of food or drink,
(iii) participation in a lawful entertainment, recreation or sport,

(b) the custody is reasonably necessary in all the circumstances during travel to or from or incidental to an activity referred to in paragraph (a), or
(3) However, it is not a reasonable excuse for the purposes of this section for a person to have custody of a knife solely for the purpose of self defence or the defence of another person.

Also so as not to be considered a concealed weapon the knife must be worn in some form of external sheath.

As far as people's I need it to defend myself arguments has it occured that essentially you are starting an arms race. As it currently stands it is illegal for either you or your assailant to be carrying a knife - you reason that you should be able to carry a knife because then knife > no knife and you win. However you neglect that if you can carry a knife then so can they. So then you say I need a gun because gun > knife and you win. But then they can carry a gun, so you say I need an assualt rifle, so on and so forth, I'm sure you get the drift.

I think the current laws are the best possible ones.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
loquasagacious said:
Also so as not to be considered a concealed weapon the knife must be worn in some form of external sheath.
I think the current laws are the best possible ones.
so what you're basically saying is if i carry the pocket knife in my bag or in a car, its ok. also, the pocket knife isn't one where you push a button and everything the pulls out by itself, its a hard one. you gotta do it all manually, pull all the stuff out manually.

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Read what I said - if you carry a pockknife in your bag it is a concealed weapon and you are breaking the law.

leetom

there's too many of them!
HSC
Watch Wolf Creek, and then consider how effective a self-defense tool a pocket-knife is.

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
im guessing that's either a tv show or a movie. they don't shape societal values and morals. as muc as i am for being able to use pocket knives as a self-defence tool, i doubt we can relate tv shows to the legality of this issue/....anyhow, what's the show about? how does it relate to pocket knives?

wanton-wonton

HSC
rnitya_25 said:
Yes, you carry it around for safety but how do you make sure others carry it around for safety? :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)