Podiatry (1 Viewer)

ShopOholic

HSC
Hey does anyone study or know of anyone who studys Podiatry and if so, what do you/they think of it and how are you/they finding it??

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
Um well I know this guy who studies it, he loves it.

Warning: He has a foot fetish though so that may explain why he loves it so much.

vodkacrumble

shiftworker
HSC
ShopOholic said:
Hey does anyone study or know of anyone who studys Podiatry and if so, what do you/they think of it and how are you/they finding it??

Not sure about the course, but there's a bit demand for podiatry services from what I've seen - there are long wait times to see a Podiatrist at a public hospital, and with the rise of problems like diabetes & the aging population you'd just be coming into more and more work.
Obviously private practice is also your other option, and I believe the pay is then better than being a salaried worker in a public hospital.

ethesky

HSC
I did Podiatry in Qld. I think the QUT course is notable because of its lack of clinical exposure, so that might bias me... but it is a pretty cool profession, there's a lot of diversity, we did a lot of general health science subjects, there are heaps of fields to get into, and it's pretty easy to get a job, and not terrible money either ;) I think it's hard to comment on the QUT course because it's crap (to be blatantly honest) but you do get to do some cool things, like give needles to each other, do toenail surgeries, get a really good handle on examination of all systems with respect to the foot...

I'd recommend sitting in with a podiatrist, or a couple of podiatrists, before accepting any offer into a podiatry course, just to get an idea of what podiatrists actually do on a day to day basis. It isn't for everyone, and we had probably 10% of students drop out in the first 2 years. We also cut lots of toenails, but hopefully as the profession changes and different people have input into the course, and more complex patients present to university clinics, there'll be less of that.

We were told to expect a graduating wage of 38-40k, but most of the people in my year got 47k and above first year out.

Cab31

HSC
I am about to begin my final year of podiatry at QUT and i would have to disagree with the above post. I think that the QUT course is one of the best in Australia. Keeping in mind that there arent many universities that offer the course (no uni's in sydney offer the course).
Word on the grapevine is that the university in western australia is starting up a podiatry course that is in the same faculty as their medicine program. This is a great move for the course because like the above post said, we do a lot of pointless public health subjects.
the course at QUT used to be noted as one of the best (if not the best) but they really do need to update the curriculum. The took out a couple of crucial subjects (dermatology and advanced imaging) and replaced them with pointless public health subjects.
All in all, its a good degree and we have a lot of fun at uni due to the high amount of contact hours and the small size of the course. There is a big demand for podiatrists and there were a lot of people who just graduated getting 50-60 grand first year out, which isnt too shabby!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)